z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (cont'd)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:27 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Thank you." Aleth dipped his head in acknowledgment. "I hope your day is lovely."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:28 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sara departed with a nod, and Sera stepped out of her office, frowning.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:41 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth watched carefully, still trying to put the pieces together of what they might have been talking about. He felt off his game. And he needed to get back on it. Soon. He looked at Sera after Sara left. "Is everything okay?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:43 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Oh, we're just worried," Sera said, glancing at him. "Cecily is like a sister to both of us, and Lord Ash is rather an important person as well. We want them both home safe."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:49 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Completely understandable," Aleth answered. So, Sera was valuable to the family. He'd thought so, but this was confirmation. "I hope for all of your sakes that they both return soon."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:50 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"As do I." Sera turned to gaze out the window. "It'll be dark soon."

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:03 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Do you think his lordship will return without her?" Aleth asked, hoping he wasn't pushing his luck. It'd be interesting to know whether Ash cared enough to risk his own life for his sister -- considering the fact that neither he nor Loquitur seemed to have qualms of waging war against one another.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:07 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I certainly hope not, but she may be lost to us by now." Sera had a feeling they would have to send soldiers out to look for Gaius; he wasn't one to leave anybody he cared about out in the forest at night.

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:04 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Well, that was interesting. Aleth inclined his head. "Hopefully they both return soon."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:08 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Mm." Sera gave him a curt nod and left the room without another word.

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:14 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth finally relaxed on the bed, stretching out to get comfortable. His mind drifted back to the letters he'd found. It was interesting -- an insight into the familial situation of the Ashes -- but not particularly helpful at the moment. Certainly not worth risking getting a message out to Loquitur.

He wished he would have had time to get through the journal. But there was no point in crying about it now. He'd just have to find a way to get back to that room with a believable excuse, sooner rather than later.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:57 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Skip to later that night or to another point?)

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:09 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(up to you! I'm happy to go wherever c: )

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:25 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(A brief scene at night, then.)

The entire Keep had fallen into silence as night descended. Lord Ash had not yet returned, and Sara awaited him atop the wall with two guards at her side. Wrapped in a bearskin cloak and buttoned up in her warmest robes, she stood stock still, speaking no word but keeping her green eyes trained on the path into the forest.

She remained like this even as the sun dipped all the way below the horizon and the frigid temperatures dropped still lower. The guards kept vigil beside her without question, but all three were shivering even with their furs and quilted coats. Still there was no sign of Gaius.

The moon rose slowly but surely above the trees, and Sara puffed out a chill breath, eyes half lidded as if trying to ward off the icy air that threatened to freeze them out of their sockets.
"Milady," one guard stammered, reaching out a shaking hand to clasp her shoulder gently, "I think we should go inside. You'll catch cold if you haven't already...there's no helping him now, not til sunrise." Sara turned stiffly, opening her mouth to argue, then thought better of it. He was right; they would all get frostbite at this rate.
"If I must go," she sighed, drawing her cloak tighter around her and turning toward the stairs.

Then, hoofbeats.

"He's back!" the other guard cried, already staggering on half-frozen legs down to open the gates. Sara whirled to the wall, peering over the stones to see a lone rider on horseback plunging out of the darkness toward the Keep. His hood was thrown back, and his wild hair was whipped by the wind. Even from this distance Sara could see that starving-thin face and his sunken blue eyes, and she knew her husband was home.
She wasted no time hurrying down to meet him, and when he was through the gates she took his steed's reins.
There was no sign of Cecily.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:49 am
View Likes
Shady says...

The remainder of the day had been infuriatingly uneventful. Aleth had little to do but sit and think. And, usually, that was enough to satisfy him. His mind was a labyrinth of intrigue that kept him well-satisfied.

But that was when he had something useful to think about.

And now all he had was wondering again and again and again how in the world he was going to manage to spy on Ash. He didn't even hope to gain his trust at this point. That was already well out of the question. He'd settle for useful information, no matter how guarded it came to him.

It was just a matter of how.

And he planned to figure it out.

[they/he]

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven - and very, very few persons.
— James Thurber