z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (cont'd)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:23 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth walked next to her, resisting the urge to ask what she meant. Did Ash make a habit of this kind of behavior, then? Or what else would lead to her having to do this multiple times? It'd be pushing it. He instead fell into step beside her and dipped his head.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:47 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You're shaking," Sera said softly, draping a blanket over her friend and employer's frail shoulders. Gaius drew the blanket a bit closer about himself, staring hollowly at the floor.
"I can't help it." He raised his head slightly, fixing his pale gaze on her. "Sera, what have I done?"
"You've gone and given yourself a chill." She turned away quickly and set about stoking up the fire. "You'll be right as rain once you're warmed up, and I'll have food brought to you. You will eat." She hated him sometimes; his crippling self-loathing and misery was understandable having grown up with him for a time, but it became exhausting when he dumped it all onto her. Sera turned back to face him.
Gaius had his eyes downcast again, and he looked more like a corpse than ever. Hunched over on the bed with his hair sticking up at all angles, long fingers with the skin stretching painfully over the delicate bones clutched the blanket possessively to his sallow chest, and the death-mask of a face all lent themselves to the image of some destitute wanderer rather than some powerful lord.
Those features were a constant source of worry and pity for Sera, but now they raised only anger. She knew this was one of those times she ought to be lending her care to him, but she couldn't bring herself to conjure up that open heart she usually kept on reserve.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:01 am
View Likes
Shady says...

The silence was beginning to feel awkward. Aleth didn't particularly mind waiting out an awkward silence -- it was a skill he'd managed years ago -- but he didn't want for it to become burdensome for the lady of the keep. He was still doing his best to charm her. "I'm sure you must be relieved to have his lordship back at the keep."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:03 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"More than I can say," Sara said quietly. "I don't like not knowing where he is."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:28 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Understandable," Aleth agreed. "It's a dangerous world."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:04 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"It certainly is." She cast a sideways look at him. "I trust you have a lot of experience with that, yourself."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:43 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth resisted the urge to eye her, and instead kept his gaze fixed ahead. He had far more experience with it than she'd ever know. He found his livelihood in danger -- and what little comfort he had from his livelihood. "Unfortunately so."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:37 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sara faced forward again, clasping her hands in front of her as she led him towards his room. "I expect he'll discuss the issue with us further in the morning. Rest well, for now."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:42 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Thank you." Aleth bowed slightly. "You as well."

He wondered if he'd be part of the "us" that was to hear the tale in the morning. He doubted it. But a man could have his hopes.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:49 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

They reached the door, and Sara opened it. "I will see you on the morrow, then."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:55 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Good night," Aleth said, nodding to her and stepping inside.

(Do you have a plan now? lol)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:11 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Hi, sorry I've been gone for forever! November proved to be the worst bit of the semester and I had a lot of assignments. But I'm free from college for the month! I have absolutely no plan in regards to the Ashes but I remember what I was doing with the Cecily storyline.)

Sara waited for him to close the door, then turned and headed back to the infirmary. The energy inside had changed since she left; there was a tense silence from Sera and utter misery from Gaius. Sara sighed and sat down beside her husband, wrapping an arm around him and taking his hand. He leaned into her and closed his eyes, exhaling through his nose. She could feel his thin frame shaking, and his hand was so cold.
"What were you thinking?" she murmured, turning her head to kiss his brow. "Why do you punish yourself like this, Gaius?" Gaius didn't reply, simply rubbing his thumb thoughtlessly over her knuckles.
"You'd best get him to bed and stoke up the hearth," Sera piped up, wringing out a warm cloth and striding over to dab at Gaius's face. Gaius didn't pull away, though her winced; the water was boiling hot. "I'll have warm stew sent up. See to it he eats it, no fuss."

she/her

112 Reviews

Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:32 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Hey there, are you still interested in this rp or have I left it a bit too long?)

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:58 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Ahh sorry! Things have been kind of hectic for me lately. Still definitely interested! I’ll try to get a reply in later this evening)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:59 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(No worries! I completely understand. I'm glad you're still interested! And I'm sorry again for how long I was away.)

she/her

Well, the only way to start is by starting
— AvantCoffee