z

Young Writers Society

Kittens and Trouble

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:03 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Pratik was tense, waiting for the teasing, and was surprised that it didn't come. The relief carried into a shy smile, but he still didn't properly look at her. "Heh, I wish. Just Spotify for me... what about you?"

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:15 am
View Likes
Hijinks says...

"Ah gosh, in my dreams. It's on my bucket list, though, to see it live on Broadway." Lillian briefly considered saying You can join me if you like, but she decided that that might sound too much like an asking-out. Which was not the vibe she was going for here.

She glanced up and saw the pet shelter drawing near, just a couple of blocks away. "There it is, we're almost there!"
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

935 Reviews

Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:18 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Mm!" Pratik acknowledged, looking up ahead at where he knew the shelter was. Not that he was going to admit to that. "Do you volunteer there often?"

[they/he]

455 Reviews

Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:22 am
View Likes
Hijinks says...

"Mhmm, most weekends and severals nights a week." She shifted the bags of pet food in her arms. "My mom says I spend too much time there, but y'know...nothing wrong with staying busy, I figure."
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them

935 Reviews

Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:24 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"May as well," Pratik agreed. "Skunks are better than Faulkner, I'm sure."

[they/he]

455 Reviews

Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:29 am
View Likes
Hijinks says...

"Oh well now, I don't know about that, some of his stuff is pretty inter--" Lillian glanced over at Pratik and realized belatedly that she probably shouldn't be going into nerd mode over a lighthearted comment. "I mean, yeah, as long as you don't get sprayed."

-- Hank Green

they/them

935 Reviews

Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:55 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Pratik smirked. "Faulkner fan, are we? Did you actually enjoy the book review, then?"

[they/he]

455 Reviews

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:36 am
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Lillian glanced over at him and then quickly down at the ground, feeling abruptly embarrassed. "Oh, I mean...it was like, fine, I guess." She picked up the pace, feeling anxious to end this unusual interaction and get back into the routine of a normal weekend at the pet shelter.

-- Hank Green

they/them

935 Reviews

Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:29 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

What had he done?

One moment he was trying to make friendly conversation. The next she was running away from him. And here he thought he was good at making friends. Apparently, his charm didn't work on shy girls.

He also walked a bit quicker, but stayed a few steps behind her, not wanting to push an interaction that she clearly didn't want to have with him. He bit his lip and stared at the sidewalk, still wondering what he'd done wrong.

83 words

[they/he]

455 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:14 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Pratik didn't catch up beside her, and for a moment she felt a little bit hurt, but she quickly brushed it off. The bags of food were heavy and it was hot and humid and there were a million reasons for him to trail behind.

She arrived at the entrance and slowly pushed a door open with her shoulder. The AC-infused air and the cool grey tones of the floor and walls were like a hug of comfort.

"You coming?" Lillian asked, glancing back.

-- Hank Green

they/them

935 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:17 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Yeah." Pratik caught the door and stepped inside, still perplexed at the interaction. "Where does the food go?"

18 words

[they/he]

455 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:21 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

"It um, goes in the storage room," Lillian gestured towards a door in the hallway as she let the entry door swing closed behind her.

-- Hank Green

they/them

935 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:23 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Pratik nodded and started towards the door she indicated. He pushed the door open and clumsily searched for a light switch, blind to what was inside.

26 words

[they/he]

455 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:28 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Lillian shook her head and considered just leaving him stranded in the dark. But no, she couldn't be so cruel. Hefting the bags of food higher up in her arms, she hit the light switch that was located outside the room, next to the door with her elbow. "Or did you prefer them off, for the atmosphere?" she inquired, following him in.

-- Hank Green

they/them

935 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:32 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Pratik felt dumb. But he would never admit that. So he dramatically went, "Gotta feel the ambiance."

17 words

[they/he]

Monster is a relative term. To a canary, a cat is a monster. We're just used to being the cat.
— Henry Wu, "Jurassic World"