z

Young Writers Society

Kittens and Trouble

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:08 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

If Lillian was the eye-rolling type, she would've rolled her eyes at him. But instead she just shook her head and headed for the door. "You're not really making a good case for adolescent boys, you know," she tossed over her shoulder.
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:11 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Adolescent? Who even used that word? Pratik followed her towards the door, still in a mood, even though he wasn't sure why. He answered playfully, "Bold of you to assume I'm trying to make myself look good."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

455 Reviews

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:17 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Lillian shoved the door open with her shoulder much more roughly than she had come in, pausing for a second so Pratik could catch it before it swung shut. "So bold. I mean you only let me hold a newborn kitten, research animal food on the shop computer, and offered to carry a bunch of heavy animal food to the animal shelter," she shot back -- though it wasn't so much shooting as gently handing.
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them

935 Reviews

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:22 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

He felt suddenly defensive. It wasn't like she needed to point out that he wasn't doing well at living up to his reputation. Great, now she was probably going to go and tell everyone else that he baby-talked kittens. "Pff... that's... pff!" he scowled slightly, but it wasn't a proper glare, and didn't lock it on her. "Customer service. I'm getting paid to be nice. Don't overthink it."

[they/he]

455 Reviews

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:26 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Lillian looked at him skeptically out of the side of her eyes. Just as suddenly as he had gone to playful and sweet, he was back to tough and intimidating. Fine, if that was what they were doing, she'd just go back to shy and polite.

"Okay, I won't," she responded quietly, shaking a bothersome curl out of her face.

-- Hank Green

they/them

935 Reviews

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:29 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Okay," Pratik echoed, forcing himself to unclench his jaw and soften his scowl. It wasn't fair to lash out at her. She'd only said facts. It wasn't her fault that his tough-guy persona was a bit of an act, or that he'd let it falter around her.

He wanted to cross his arms, but they were full of pet food, so he just stared at the sidewalk instead.

[they/he]

455 Reviews

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:39 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

She kicked a pebble absentmindedly. Did he hate her? Did she go too far? She couldn't see how she had. They had been joking and she had joked back, there was nothing unreasonable about that. Or maybe guys had different rules for interacting? She certainly wouldn't know, she didn't have any guy friends.

This was definitely the definition of awkward silence. It was practically shrieking in her ears with the awkwardness. "I, uh..." What in the world should she say? She glanced over at him and tried again. "I, um, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you."

-- Hank Green

they/them

935 Reviews

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:49 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"I, uh, no -- it's fine." He was being a jerk. He shook his head slightly, forcing himself to snap out of it. "It's fine. Sorry."

There was a moment of silence. He could feel the awkwardness expanding. Filling the space between them. Enveloping them both. Making him wildly uncomfortable. He felt like he should explain, but how did you even go about that? 'Sorry I snapped, I'm terrified you're going to tell the whole school that I'm a wimp and that I'll get bullied for it.

"I overreacted," he admitted. "I... suppose there are parts of me I don't quite enjoy acknowledging. That's on me. Sorry."

[they/he]

455 Reviews

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:55 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

"I, uh, okay. If you're sure it's fine." Lillian had no clue what he meant but she wasn't going to push it. There was nothing morally corrupt or incriminating about finding kittens cute, as far as she was aware.

At this rate, this was going to be a long 20 minutes. Like, they'd already fallen out, apologized, and resorted to staring awkwardly at the sidewalk. Looked like she'd either have to tolerate this awkwardness or buckle up and try to do small talk.

"So, do you like, have any pets?"

-- Hank Green

they/them

935 Reviews

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:59 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"I have a betta!" Pratik answered, glad to be moving off the awkwardness. "What about you?"

[they/he]

455 Reviews

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:04 am
View Likes
Hijinks says...

"Someone's got a poor memory, eh?" Lillian began to say -- but she caught herself before she could get any further. No need to undo this temporary truce they seemed to have reached. "I mean, yeah, I've got Pandora, and also a zebra finch named Zeborah. They're, kind of, not the best friend. Pandy has tried to uh, hunt Zeb on several occasions."

-- Hank Green

they/them

935 Reviews

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:22 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Yes, that does seem to be a rather big hindrance to a healthy relationship," Pratik mused, deciding not to acknowledge the fact that he, in fact, had forgotten about the cat. Even after the little collar banter they'd had. "RIP Pandy's social skills."

[they/he]

455 Reviews

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:07 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

RIP your social skills was the first thing that popped into Lillian's mind, but she quickly shoved it away. Was her brain trying to sabotage this relationship or something?

"Yup, well, animals. What're ya going to do." Where to take this conversation next. Might as well just prolong the animal inquiry, she figured -- she didn't have any brilliant other ideas, at any rate. "Um, your betta got a name?"

-- Hank Green

they/them

935 Reviews

Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:07 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Oh... uh... yeah..."

Maybe he should just pretend that he was pulling the Classic Stupid Teenage Boy move and that he named Swamilton 'Fish' or some such thing.

"Alexander," he said. He hesitated a moment, glancing at her and flushing a bit before he looked back at the sidewalk. He considered just leaving it at that. Having a fish named Alexander. But."...Swamilton."

[they/he]

455 Reviews

Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:56 am
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Wait a second, Pratik was into musical theatre? This guy was becoming more and more implausible the more she learned about him. Unless he was some history geek or something. Which somehow managed to be even less plausible in Lillian's mind.

"Aw, that's a cool name!" The breeze blew exasperating bits of hair into her mouth and she spat them out between words. "Have you seen the musical, then?"

-- Hank Green

they/them

coffee and writing is a superior duo
— LadyBug