Young Writers Society

Crime™

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:15 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"She's not your mom," Kazimir whispered into Derik's ear. The woman behind the desk, though, flicked her eyes to him like she'd heard.

"Naturally," she said. "The back kitchen's still open for another hour. I can put in an order for you two and have it brought to your room. How will you be paying this evening?"

Kazimir took the initiative and stepped forward. He'd put the coins in his pocket on the walk over, but he wasn't about show how much he had.

"How much for one room for the night?" he asked, leaning on the edge of her desk.

"One bed or two?" the woman asked, flicking her eyes between the two of them.

Kazimir didn't spend time thinking about it and decided maybe not to risk getting on Derik's bad side, since they were in this rescue mission together.

"Two," he said.

"Ten silver," the woman replied.

Kazimir stared at her for a moment, trying to do math in his head. He took out seven silver from his pocket, and two gold pieces.

"That enough for a room and two hot meals?" Kazimir asked.

The woman looked down at the coins and slid them across the table.

"That will do," she said, though she sounded a little annoyed, and Kazimir didn't know why. He leaned off the desk and looked back at Derik.

He had told Derik to do the talking, but... well, he was the one with the money.

The woman reached under the desk and pulled out a room key, setting it on the table.

"Second floor. Room six. Should be on your left once you go up the stairs."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:21 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Not his mom --? What was Kazimir even saying? While Derik was trying to work it out, Kazimir began working out the details of the room. He was vaguely concerned that Kazimir was handing over too much money -- but, then, what did he know about this realm?

Almost nothing.

And that was the problem.

Still, he was glad that Kazimir had the courtesy of getting two beds. Derik swiped up the key and made eye contact with the woman. "Thank you."

He started up the stairs, hoping Kaz would follow.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:27 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kazimir gave the harpy woman a quick glance before he sped up the steps to catch up to Derik.

“Well I think that went good,” he said with a slight smile. “At least we can rest for a night and you can recover your strength.”

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:30 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"And get food," Derik commented with a nod, not sure which one he was more grateful for at that point. He scanned for the right room and then let them in. "But, yes, it's quite nice to be out of prison, isn't it?"

[they/he]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:36 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

“ShhHhHhHhhH,” Kazimir said in a hushed tone, rapidly reaching over and putting his finger up to Derik’s nose. “Bigmouth Ricky.”

He pushed past Derik and walked into the room first, noting the simple layout. Two beds in opposite walls, and a small, short dresser between the two with two candles and a pot of flowers on top. There was a nice woven rug on the floor, though, that filled almost the whole floor.

Kazimir immediately flooped down onto it, letting out a sigh.

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:38 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Alright, 4-toe Kazzy," Derik retorted, watching -- entirely unimpressed -- as Kaz threw himself down in the middle of the floor. He stepped directly over Kaz's abdomen to walk towards the bed in the corner, further from the door.

[they/he]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:43 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kazimir stuck out his tongue as Derik made fun of his toes again, and he pushed their door shut with his foot.

“You’re just jealous you have all five toes and still don’t have my impeccable sense of balance,” Kazimir retorted, with no idea if he was even making sense.

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:45 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Says the man sprawled in the middle of the floor." Derik flopped down on the bed and started pulling his boots off.

[they/he]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:48 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

“I chose to lie on the floor,” Kazimir said as he stuck his leg in the air and ripped his boot off. Then the next boot. He ended up rolling onto his side as he wrangled his feet, and then he rolled over onto his other side, leaving his boots sprawled along with him on the carpet.

He grunted and pushed himself to his feet, walking over to the other bed.

He flopped face-down into it and let out a groan that was muffled by the sheets.

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:50 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

He was a giant toddler. Derik watched him and shook his head, then flopped back on his own bed with a sigh of relief. This was exactly what he needed right then. "What kind of food do you think it will be?"

[they/he]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:54 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kazimir twisted his head to the side so he was looking at Derik across the room.

“Stew, maybe? Or soup. Maybe soup and bread. Or maybe beans and rice. Or chicken...”

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:55 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

So, he didn't know. "Ah... well, I'm sure whatever it is will taste fantastic with how hungry I am. I'm starving."

[they/he]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:50 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"When was the last time you ate?" Kazimir asked. "I haven't eaten since early this morning."

935 Reviews

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:51 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Derik thought for a moment. "Same for me. I was going to eat on the road once I picked up the scent of my target and then... well..."

[they/he]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:26 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

As Derik trialed off, Kazimir stared at him for a moment, still trying to piece some things together. There were still a lot of gaps in his memory, but the more he thought about it, Derik seemed odd. Not in a way that was bad or threatening, but in a way that felt foreign, like he wasn't really from around here. Maybe he was from far, far away - but he would've had to spend a lot of time talking to all sorts of people in travel, and he didn't even seem to know what harpies, were.

Kazimir hummed.

"So who told you about the guy that captured Marcus?" he asked.

Okay, first of all, who names their dinner? I don't want to know my dinner's name. This potato--is this potato named Steve?
— Rick Riordan, The Sword of Summer