z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:58 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

The maid from before unlocked the door about an hour after the sun had risen.
"Good morning," she said cordially. "How did you find the room?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:22 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"It was lovely, thank you," Pratik answered. "Did you rest well?"

He was grateful for the time to compose himself. To be as calm and put together as he always was in any situation. To pretend that he wasn't still rattled by being discovered. He could handle whatever they threw at him. Mock him all they wanted, he could just ride away if they crossed too many lines.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:26 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Naturally." She stepped back. "I'm to take you to breakfast, sir."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:42 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Excellent, thank you," Pratik answered, following her into the hallway. He tried to think of what useful information he could get out of her as they walked, but he was still too distracted. "I meant to ask last night and forgot, what's your name? I'm Pratik."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:44 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

She glanced at him suspiciously. "Most call me Maddie."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:18 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"It's nice to meet you, Maddie." Pratik smiled, but could tell she still seemed uneasy with his question. "I assume you're one of the people charged with keeping an eye on me and will be around quite a lot, so it's nice to be acquainted with one another, don't you think?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:32 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Perhaps, perhaps not." Maddie shrugged. "I once watched over a guest for two months straight and not a word was spoken."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:39 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Seems rather dehumanizing for you both," Pratik noted. And lonely. He didn't expect to make many friends here, and he certainly wasn't going to let his guard down around any of the servants, but conversation would be nice. He didn't particularly want to relegate himself to speaking only to a grouchy Lord that disliked him to begin with, then stole his notebook, and now almost certainly regarded him with disdain.

Pratik wondered whether Ash would bring the notebook up at breakfast, or if he'd at least have the dignity of some privacy when Ash was to scorn him for it.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:43 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Sorry for the wait I was helping my dad get our puppy from the vet)

"Wise," Maddie corrected. "No sense in sharing what isn't needed."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:50 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(All good! Sorry I've been so spotty with my responses the past few days, I was out of town lol)

"No harm in small talk sometimes," Pratik countered. "Makes for a more interesting walk, if nothing else."

(Also I have nothing for Pratik to ask lol I'm good to keep up with the chit chat between them, but I don't have any actual questions to ask her rn, so time skippy is chill for me)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:04 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Sure, let's get downstairs!)

They reached the dining room a few minutes later. Gaius was already seated, as were Sera, Sara, and the three children. Mattathias was eagerly recounting his encounter with Pratik to his sister.

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:09 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Pratik glanced at Mattathias. Well, that was embarrassing. And it removed any doubt about whether the women had heard about the previous night. But, then, he supposed that that was what he got for losing his cool in front of a child. He could hardly blame the boy for wanting to talk about it.

"Your lordship." Pratik bowed to Ash, then turned and bowed to the women as well. "Ma'ams."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:19 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Good morning." Gaius dipped his head slightly. "I trust you slept well?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:24 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

He hadn't. It'd taken him forever to fall asleep, and then once he did his dreams were riddled with anxiety. It wasn't a proper nightmare -- those left him drenched in sweat and sometimes the center of attention if he screamed too loud during them. And usually involved him killing others.

Stress dreams left him feeling fatigued in the morning, but weren't quite as troubling. Mostly just getting hurt himself, rather than having to hurt anyone else. He'd woken up several times throughout the night, plagued by mini-dreams. One about being alone and afraid on the street as a child. Another where he was running for his life but kept tripping into patches of briars. Another where someone had managed to slice his throat.

"I did, thank you." He smiled a bit and took his seat. "And you?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:35 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Very well," Gaius lied, forking a fish filet onto his plate. "I do apologize for the locked doors; one can never be too careful. I'm sure you understand." It was inconvenient, even for him. On the bright side, it did stop angry mercenaries from storming to his room demanding his book of poetry.

she/her

What's the point of being a grown-up if you can't be a bit childish sometimes?
— 4th Doctor