z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:22 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Pratik caught up quickly but respectfully stayed a step behind, slowing so that Ash wouldn't feel rushed. Pratik felt his heart fluttering and wasn't quite sure why. He was relieved to get away from the hell of that table but now he felt like a small child about to get spanked.

You're overreacting. Stop. It.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:24 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I apologize for my son," Gaius said after a moment. "He's inquisitive, like most Ashes. Usually too curious for his own good. I do try to encourage questions, but it seems I ought to be more explicit about when to ask them."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:28 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"It's alright," Pratik answered. His voice sounded more like a croak than an actual answer. He cleared his throat. "I suppose it's only fair. He did help me get it back."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:31 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I was afraid you'd break down that rather historical door if I didn't return the book," Gaius corrected with a wry smile. "It didn't seem worth it to hold onto the thing til morning." Though he would have preferred it if his son hadn't burst in on him slipping into a defensive state of stillness. It had frightened him badly and he'd nearly drawn his sword on the boy.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:33 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Hah," Pratik snorted but smiled a bit. "It's an impressively sturdy door, I'll give you that."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:35 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"It was the Lord's bedroom," Gaius pointed out. "It had to be sturdy. Can't have assassins breaking it down with one knock, can we?" His own door was even heavier and thicker; it took a bit of work to open it sometimes, especially when the temperatures were lower than normal.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:39 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Pratik blew air through his nose, quieter this time. "Fair point. I suppose it's good to have wood that's stronger than determination. Maybe I'll invest one of those doors someday."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:43 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I highly recommend it, if you have a permanent dwelling. Quite expensive, though." Gaius came to the set of stairs leading up to his study and began the painful ascent. A curving wooden banister had been installed when he became Lord to help with him get up, but the shattered bones in his leg still ground and scraped something awful when he went up or down the stairs. "I trust you're more nomadic, though?" he asked through gritted teeth.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:49 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Ah, yes," Pratik agreed, since Ash called his bluff. "I don't much enjoy when my colleagues call on me, and it's rather easier to avoid them if I don't have a permanent residence... although, if I had one of those doors..." he added playfully.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:53 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You wouldn't have to worry," Gaius finished. "Perhaps you can use your pay from this job to procure one." He paused halfway up the winding steps, leaning against the wall. "What brought you to me, Master Chrenko? I would think your morals align more with my brother's agenda than my own."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:02 am
View Likes
Shady says...

They both knew he wouldn't. He was born without a home, and he'd die without one. He didn't have the luxury of reclining anywhere. If he ever stopped running, his past would catch up with him. And he wasn't quite ready to be slaughtered, yet.

"I'm not burdened by many morals," Pratik answered dryly. "They're not especially useful in my line of work. There are only two things I won't do, and I don't expect either of you would ask them of me anyway, so it doesn't particularly matter to me who I work for, as long as I'm well paid... plus there's going to be a lot of blood the instant I see that colleague I mentioned to you, and I'm not particularly eager for that reunion."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:06 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Yes, about that. You never did drop a name." Gaius hated taking these breaks; he was restless to get to his study where they could talk in privacy and he could sit comfortably. But between his physical weakness from his eating habits and the bad leg it was nearly impossible to make it up these damned endless stairs without a pause or two. It made it difficult to focus, too. Gaius held Pratik's gaze steadily in an attempt to ground himself, keeping his breathing slow and even.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:11 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(So, I went back to check what money they'd agreed on when Ash asked earlier, and I realized that Pratik did tell him some names already on page 12... and I'm not quite sure what to do about it xD Do we want to just have Pratik give a physical description and Gaius figure out it's Arthur? Or forget about it? lol Here's the excerpt:)

Spoiler! :
"I know him by the name Isya Hren," Pratik continued. "Other names I've heard for him are Raelsi Crio and Gylden Kroft, gods know which, if any of those are his true name. He is one of those men that I mentioned who is both intelligent and dangerous. He's the only person who's ever come close to stopping me."

He took a deep breath, deciding to test his luck.

"Two years ago I was hired to get rid of a pest in the East. Isya was hired to keep the same man alive. We danced back and forth nearly a week -- a pain, really -- before outwitted him and got past him to killed my target." Pratik pushed himself to his feet, ignoring the panicked shuffling of the guards, and pulled up his tunic to show a huge scar covering the entire right side of his toned abdomen. "But he left me this lovely souvenir to remember him by in the process."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:13 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Sure, that works! Perfect, actually.)

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:16 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Awesome! I'm not fully sure how to describe him lol)

Pratik was fairly sure he had, but at this point, who even knew? He'd already gotten paid for the name, so may as well share it again. "Isya Hren aka Raelsi Crio aka Gylden Kroft aka the bastard at the very top of my shit list."

[they/he]

You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts.
— LEGO Batman