453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:20 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

The Alders

brought to you by @LadyBug and @liberty

The Adlers are a picture perfect family, self-made millionaires with beautiful kids and peaceful life and power. The media is known to exaggerate, but are they really that perfect? Behind closed doors everything changes. The dad harbors a life-changing secret, the mother may have bribed her way to the top, the daughter isn’t supposed to exist and the other is mentally unstable. The son is at a boarding school, or is he?

Spoiler! :
These pictures are not ours, so all credits go to the respective owners.

Used BeFunky to make the collage.
*insert quirky signature here*

453 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:33 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

Valerie

Two more days and Valerie Nicole Alder would turn seventeen - the day she would be allowed to have her own job. The matrons and head of the orphanage never allowed Val to work when she was younger. It would only happen when she turned seventeen. She hoped that they wouldn't go against their word because what else do adults have to do?

Val propped herself up on the top bunk and looked over the rail, her brown curls falling around her face, to see if her bunkmate and best friend forever, Hazel, was awake yet. Indeed she was. Her hazel eyes were wide open, staring at the bottom of Val's mattress. "Hazel," Val whisper-croaked. Hazel snapped her head in the direction of her friend's voice.

"Yeah?"

"Are you awake?"

"No."

Val grinned, and threw her pillow at Hazel, missing her head by a meter or so. Her aim wasn't the best. "Want to go get breakfast before the nutella runs out?"

Hazel rolled her eyes. "Sure."

They both tip toed out of the tiny room with their toiletries and made their way across the hall and into the lavatories. As they brushed their teeth with their six year old toothbrushes, silence fell over them. Hazel spoke up first. "So, you're leaving soon, huh?" She gargled, then spat out the water.

She wiped her mouth with her towel and stared combing her hair. Val sighed. "I'm just getting a job. I won't be away for too long. And then a year later, I might move into my own apartment if I make enough money. I'll come to see you every other day." There was a pause. "We've talked about this countless times, Hazel. You can move in with me as well later on when you get your job."

Hazel shook her head, picked up her stuff and left the bathroom. Val looked after her, expressionless. She was sure Hazel's sadness would go on for a few more days but as soon as she was used to Val's new schedule, she would be fine.

Or so she hoped.

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:37 pm
View Likes
LadyBug says...

Celeste

Dragging a brush through her tangled locks, Celeste Alder raised an eyebrow at her mother, who she could see in the mirror. Janine Alder was pacing back and forth, the tapping of her heels made Celeste's heart pump a little faster. Charity events were always her least favorite conventions.

Celeste finished the chore hat was brushing her long hair and picked off a piece of lint that was on her designer outfit. The clicking of Vuitton heels were starting to get on her nerves.

"Calm down, Mommy," she soothed, trying to keep her voice soft.

"Shut up." Jan snapped, her eyes fierce. Celeste bit her lip and looked down at her bitten nails, if this went well then her mom would be in a good mood all night long, smiling and joking. If this went badly, Celeste shuddered, she didn't want to think about it.

Celeste went back to examining herself in the mirror, anything less than perfection and the media would jump on her.

"Okay, Cel, remember, you do not mention -." Jan started, but Celeste cut her off.

"I know, Mommy." Celeste muttered as she doused her hair in hairspray. After a second of strained silence as the two avoided eye contact, the manager walked in.

"Are you two ladies?" she asked, smiling slightly with her red lips. Paige Briggs was tall and slender, her glasses rested on her nose and her cold eyes surveyed the two.

"Of course," Jan changed personalities instantly, going from angry to calm. "What are their priority questions?

"Hmm, mainly the funding of the retirement home and the new campaign for easier paths for the disabled."

Celeste and her mother shared a look, this was going to be a good night after all.
"the wedding was charming if a little gauche; there's only so far new money goes.... it must have been her fault his heart gave out"

453 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:59 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

Valerie

At ten in the morning, Val made her way to the blooming courtyard. It was springtime, ten o'clock in the morning. The boys and girls had just had their breakfast of pancakes, berries and milk.

Val spotted Hazel swinging her legs on the wooden bench beneath the lone cherry blossom tree. She jogged over to her, and plopped down on the space beside her. "What are you up to?"

"Thinking of my next art project," Hazel said.

Val bobbed her head. A group of four boys passed the two girls. One of them included Mark. Time seemed to slow as he and Val shared a quick glance, half smiling, half blushing. Hazel stared at Val, smirking. "Are you kidding me right now?"

Val blushed but didn't want to seem like a cheesy teenager so she rolled her eyes and smirked back. "Totally kidding. Anyways, what do you have in mind for your art project?"

They talked for another twenty minutes, not noticing how time flew by. That happened with friends.

Someone cried out in pain from behind them. "Shoot. Another fight. I can already tell." Hazel looked back through the tree branches. Val jumped right up and into action, storming to where there was a group of other children shouting. She pushed through to the middle of the crowd.

As one of the most headstrong girls in this orphanage, I must figure out what's happening. Things like responsibility got to her head most of time and usually mistaked very unresponsible things for it. And she always got in trouble.

She did that day as well. George, one of the most annoying boys in the orphanage had been teasing Hannah, Mark's little sister. It had irritated Mark to see his sister's annoyance so he shoved George away. George had yelled, and that was when Val skidded into the scene. She asked for what was going on and George snapped at her.

And she blessed him with her famous back handed slap.

232 Reviews

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:10 pm
View Likes
LadyBug says...

Celeste

"Okay, any more questions before Mrs. and Miss Alder leave," Paige said, her voice strained and her professional smile forced. Jan and Celeste went well over the time limit and were still accepting questions from the press.

“Last one,” a small lady with brown eyes cleared her throat. “How will you fund the local orphanages and foster homes once you officially accept the Board of Directors position?”

Jane froze for a second, poised yet obviously uncomfortable. Celeste looked to her mother for guidance as she forced a smile and made a mental note to ask her mother what was going on when Jan was in a good mood.

“Oh, I think they have adequate funding but if I can get a vote for a higher property tax then I’ll be able to help further their education and life after living in a foster home or community.” Jan gave another one of her charming smiles, but it didn’t reach her eyes.

“Alright, that’s all the time we have, thank you for coming out and remember to vote for Mrs. Alder in the next election.” Paige called out and the journalists started shuffling papers and putting cameras away. Celeste let out a sigh of relief and felt herself float away from the stage, slightly light headed and very dehydrated.

“That went better than I thought,” Paige laughed, her voice higher than usual and her cold eyes crinkled in delight. Jan nodded, and by her mother’s posture, Celeste could tell that it was going to be a good night.
"the wedding was charming if a little gauche; there's only so far new money goes.... it must have been her fault his heart gave out"

453 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:02 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

Valerie

Val gritted her teeth as Mr. Smith, the orphanage manager, went on about how it wasn't at all right to slap people so hard they would get a bruise on their jaw.

If looks could burn, the floor she was standing on would have become lava by now and it had only been five minutes. She had counted.

Her cheeks burned up and she started feeling a sick feeling in her stomach. Unable to control it anymore, Val snapped her head back up and faced the orphanage manager. "Mr. Smith, I'm afraid you're forgetting the fact that George had also shoved Mark."

"That was a shove!" Mr. Smith exclaimed, flailing his arms around. "You bruised him!"

From the corner of her eyes, Val sent a venemous glare in George's direction. He sent back a scowl. He was sitting on one of the armchairs behind Mr. Smith's desk. Val wasn't allowed to sit. She wasn't even allowed to stand properly - she was on one leg.

It wasn't even an effective punishment.

"Are you done?" Val snapped.

Mr. Smith furrowed his brows and waved at her like she was some sort of mosquito bugging him. He was being the mosquito right now. "Stay in my office for a second. George, come with me."

As soon as the door shut, Val put both her feet on the ground in a subtle rebellion. She sat down on the armchair across from Mr. Smith's seat and leaned over to look at all the papers that apparently kept Mr. Smith so busy.

Valerie Nicole Alder was written on one of the yellowed papers in fancy writing. "What in the world?"

She scanned the file, and two words caught her attention. Family members. Underneath, were the names of four other people and all of them were listed alive.

232 Reviews

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:00 am
View Likes
LadyBug says...

Celeste

Celeste ignored it, she always ignored it. It was 1:00 in the morning and her father was leaving in the family limo, she could see from out her bedroom window. Every now and then she’d notice he'd sneak off, and when she confronted him, he mumbled something about a late night meeting and ran off.

Jan had no idea, the very thought of her perfect looking family hosting any more secrets would be too much. Celeste just wanted to know if it was with another woman, or if her father was as committed to his work as he claimed, and tonight she was going to find out.

Softly closing her bedroom door, she padded down the staircase and bolted out the front door, not even stopping for shoes. She grabbed her bike and started pedalling after the headlights, which were growing further away.

Celeste, used to riding her bike, barely sweated as she rode after him, thankful for the cover of darkness and lack of cars on the normally busy highway. Celeste felt her hair start to frizz and stick to her now sweaty neck,but it was too late to turn back.

Finally, the limo stopped outside a familiar building, Celeste hid her bike behind a tree and dove into the cover of a near tree before gasping for breath and craving water. Wiping the sweat of her forehead, she looked up and sighed a sigh of relief,a peace of mind to what had been bothering her since she was eleven. Her dad was at his office, his secretary, Lucas, was making him a cup of coffee, and he was taking his glasses off.

Celeste squinted as the two went inside, though her heart pumped with relief. One of her biggest fears were put to rest, now time to call her other secret.

She, after a pause, dizzily got back on her bike and peddled home again.
Last edited by LadyBug on Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

453 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:30 am
View Likes
Lib says...

Valerie

Val was back in her room, staring up at the ceiling, lost in her thoughts. A bit too lost. When Hazel had come in to check on her and drag her to lunch, Val hadn't even budged.

How come her family members were listed alive? It didn't make sense. If they were alive, she wouldn't be in this orphanage.

Val sat up and rubbed her temples. She looked up at the time. It was already three in the afternoon. I should go check on Hannah. She climbed down from the top of her bunk bed, exited the small room and turned to the room next door.

"Hannah banana, how's it going?" She plopped down on the ground next to where Hannah was sitting - right under the window.

"Fine."

"What are you up to?"

"Nothing."

There was complete silence as the two stared straight ahead. The room was empty - the rest of the kids were either outside in the courtyard, playing, or helping around the building with chores.

"I have a question," Hannah said.

"I'm assuming it'll be deep?"

"Considering the silence, you should know."

Val smiled. "What's up?"

"You know how we're orphans?"

"Yeah," Val sounded unsure about the question she was about to ask.

"If someone's an orphan, does it mean that they're parents are dead or they were abandoned?" she asked, her big, curious eyes looking up at the older girl.

Val shrugged, got up and left.

232 Reviews

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:57 pm
View Likes
LadyBug says...

Celeste

“I’m sick,” Celeste muttered as she nuzzled her head into her soft pillow. After a busy night of stalking her father, Celeste didn’t feel like getting up. Her legs were sore from biking miles and she felt unable to function.

She glanced up to see her mother, who was already fully dressed and standing in the doorway. “Oh no.” Jan’s eyebrows crinkled and her eyes got cloudy as she glided closer, her eyes critical. Celeste felt guilt wash over her, but not enough to make her get up.
“Hmm, I’ll be out all day and your father is at work again, will you be okay?” Jan said slowly, lost in thought. Celeste perked up inside, a whole day to herself! She nodded and coughed once for a dramatic effect.

“Oh dear, honey, I’ll be sure to call you. I have to go but please let me know if you need anything.” Jan whispered as she kissed her daughter’s forehead. Celeste nodded and sniffed, making sure to look sick as her mother left the room, leaving Celeste all alone.

She slammed her face into her pillow but couldn’t manage to fall back asleep. She got up and decided to try to be productive.

453 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:00 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

Valerie

That afternoon, at lunch, Val snuck out of her room, before making sure no one was in the hallway.

All clear.

She dashed to the very end of the hallway and hid behind the marble pillar when she saw the matron striding in from the opposite end. Val cursed. This matron was an incredibly slow slug. Five agonizingly slow minutes later, the matron was out of sight.

Val ran into Mr. Smith's office and shut the door behind her. Thank god Mr. Smith never locked his doors - he said he always forgot his keys somewhere he couldn't find them.

She flicked on the lights and made her way towards the enormous desk. Her papers were still there. A chill ran up her spine as a cold breeze whooshed through the open window. She would have closed it but Mr. Smith would have known someone was in there.

"Oh no, oh my god, oh no -" Val's eyes shifted towards the camera in the far corner of the room. Her stomach churned and she felt like a bunch of butterflies were having a dance party in there.

She quickly took the address of her supposed "family" who were still alive - she scribbled it onto her hand with the pen - and snuck back out of the room and ran back into the dining hall where everyone was still having lunch.

Val had to talk to Hazel about this.

232 Reviews

Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:50 pm
View Likes
LadyBug says...

Celeste

Celeste rubbed her hands together impatiently as she waited for her mother to come home. She had stayed in her pyjamas all day and did nothing but watch television, so human company was wanted.

At 6:00 exactly she heard her mother’s Rolls-Royce turn into the driveway; Celeste wrapped a blanket around herself as she heard the key turn in the front door’s lock.

“Hello,” Celeste coughed slightly as her mom walked in, her hair perfect but her make-up smudged.

Her mom kicked her shoes off and headed toward the sofa. Jan was small but her heels made her an average height. “Hello, honey! You look better.”

Celeste cleared her throat but nodded slightly, though she was sure her mom knew what she was up to. “A little. I may need ice cream.”

“Let me call Jacob then I’ll see if we have any,” Jan muttered, kissing her daughter's head as she stood up and fixed her dress.

“Jacob,” Celeste gasped, her heart started pounding. “Can I talk to him? Please!”

Jan gave her a little smile. “I don’t see why not.”
Last edited by LadyBug on Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

453 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:59 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

Valerie

Val took a breath as she nodded at Mr. Smith when he gave her permission to go out. It was a Sunday and she really wanted to take a break from looking at the same kids over and over again. Anyways, Val had to find a specific family. She mulled over the address again in her mind and exited the orphanage without a word to neither Hannah nor Hazel.

The cold April wind stung her cheeks. She pulled her coat tighter around her waist as she clenched her teeth. Her gloves were doing no good. She had told the matrons to get her new ones but they still hadn't gotten them. Val made her way out of the orphanage grounds and soon enough, she was on the streets of Toronto.

A beggar was sitting around the corner. She smiled at him and whispered a quick prayer for him. "God bless," he croaked. She smiled again and rushed towards Dundas street. She crossed a white building and looked up with chattering teeth. Somehow, even after almost-seventeen years in Ontario, she still wasn't used to the cold.

She looked up and saw a looming Victorian mansion. Val felt like a microscopic bug in comparison to that. She checked the faded address on her palm again. She checked the street sign, then the number on the door. It was the exact same. She felt like she was going to vomit. Her stomach churned as she stormed up to the deck and rapped the front door as hard as she could with her almost-frostbitten fists.

232 Reviews

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:19 am
View Likes
LadyBug says...

Celeste

Celeste looked out the window, it was a chilly afternoon and she had nothing to do. She sat down with cookies and her textbook, but she didn’t feel like studying. Her mother was home and was hosting some people, so Celeste didn’t feel like going downstairs. Her father was at work and wouldn’t be home until late at night.

She could faintly hear chatter and the laughter of women and smiled, content all alone in her room, staring out the window, waiting for something to happen and save her from studying. After a moment of being lost in thought, Celeste decided nothing was going to save her from her fate and she would soon have to reopen her math book.

At that moment a girl passed by the house and stopped. She seemed to hesitate and stare into the rooms, looking nervous. Celeste wrinkled her nose. Pedestrians were common but they never acted in such a manner. The girl seemed to stop down their driveway, looking anxious. She didn’t seem to be selling anything.

Celeste, curious, hopped down the stairs, avoided the group of ladies, and looked out the front door’s window to see a familiar looking girl knock aggressively on the door, making Celeste jump. The chatter in the kitchen stopped.

“I’ll answer it!” Celeste called out as she opened the front door.

453 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:00 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

Valerie

The door opened and a girl much shorter than Val looked at her up and down. She had brown eyes and long hair that reached her elbows. She had planned everything she would have said but now that she was here, her mind was blank. "Hello." Val crossed her arms like a two year old would if their mother didn't give them ice cream.

"Uh, hi?" the girl said, though it sounded more like a question.

Val stared. "What's your name?"

"Celeste. Yours?" the girl replied.

She narrowed her eyes. "Celeste what?"

"Tell me who you are first."

"Valerie Nicole Alder," she replied, unfolding her arms and letting them drop to her sides.

Celeste snorted. "Okay, sure. Go away, okay."

Val seethed. "Where's your mother?" she growled.

Celeste's eyes grew wide, but she quickly regained her composure. "She's busy, can I take a message?"

"I want to talk to her right now."

232 Reviews

Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:52 am
View Likes
LadyBug says...

Celeste

Celeste could not believe this girl. She came out of nowhere, made up their last name, and was demanding to speak to her mother. This girl was insane.

"What do you want from her?" Celeste snapped, getting cold.

Val scowled. "Get her."

"Alright, fine. Come in," Celeste led the strange girl into the formal living room, she was a guest after-all. "Do you want anything to drink? She'll be a minute."

Val arched her brow as she stood awkwardly by the fireplace, "No thanks."

Celeste let out a hmm sound and quickly left the room, wanting to keep her eyes on the girl. She could be a con-artist or a thief. Celeste walked into the kitchen where she saw a few middle-aged women eating cake and drinking tea. "Mom, you have a guest," Celeste said quietly.

"Huh, give me a second," Janine said, shooting a questioning look. Celeste quickly left the room, overwhelmed by the smelly perfume of old ladies.

"Ok, Valerie. She'll be a second."

"I'm waiting," she said, raising her chin slightly.

"You do that." Celeste snapped, sick of this bossy girl.

"Where's your brother?" Valerie asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

"You're in no position to be asking questions. If anything, I should be inquiring about you," Celeste sighed, not even wanting to know how this girl knew every aspect of her life.

At that moment Jan walked in, politely smiling at Valerie. "Uh, hello."

"Janine Alder, I'm assuming?"

"You'd be correct. You are?" Janine raised an eyebrow and shot a look at Celeste who wanted to scream, 'I didn't let her in.'

"Valerie Nicole Alder. Ring a bell?" she asked, dropping her arms down to her side.

"Nobody cares," muttered Celeste under her breath, earning a glare from her mother.

"Uh, yes, it does..." Janine lost all poise, sitting down and blinking quickly. "How did you find us?"

"I live three kilometers away," Valerie snapped.

"Who are you?" Celeste shouted, glaring at Valerie and running to her mom's aid.

"Your sister." She glared.

Time is money, money is power, power is pizza, and pizza is knowledge!
— April, Parks & Rec