Lovely Night

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:27 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

There was nothing.

Runi, who had been trying to balance acting, playing the game, and her feelings for Megara all at once, felt a sense of dread overcome her at the silence that followed the question. She had to snap herself out of the stupor she had let herself get into - the lack of answer didn't bode well for her and Megara.

She straightened a little.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:42 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Megara searched the faces of the people around her. They all seemed to be staring blankly at her, or some point behind her. Perhaps some had their eyes on Runi.

Suddenly, the cheery man regained his grin, "Whatcha' gotta know the name of the place fer?" he asked in his usual jolly manor.

Megara smiled as if what happened was completely normal, "Just curious is all." They were probably in danger.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:49 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Runi hid her frown behind her cards.

It had been a long since she dealt with strange, magical things on a regular basis, but something here just wasn't adding up. The man hadn't questioned why they didn't know; he had questioned why they were asking about the name in the first place.

But his response hadn't been hesitant. It had been delayed. Lowering her cards a little - and getting an almost sly tone to her voice - Runi repeated the question.

"But what's the name of where we are?" she said.

She didn't get an immediate response. Just more blank stares and silence. The person who finally spoke was the man - it was the sitting next to him.

"It doesn't matter," he said, with a completely genuine smile. Runi was pretty sure it didn't matter to him, which only confirmed her suspicions.

It was like they were in a video game. Megara and her were the players, and the people they were playing with were the NPCs. And while they might have been able to interact with the NPCs, there were things they couldn't say. Trying to get them to say it would get them to lag and not really answer the question.

It wasn't the perfect comparison, but it was still a comparison that worked.
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:57 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Megara took a sip from a wine glass she didn't remember arriving and took her turn in the game.

"I'm sure it doesn't," she said with a genuine-seeming smile of her own, "How about we add a layer of difficulty to this here game, yeah? Before I rob you all of the clothes off your back." She earned a hearty laugh from the group at that one, and someone asked what she had in mind. "You folks ever heard of the game 'truth or dare'?"

It was a lot of things, a perfect plan wasn't one of them. Getting information out of these people, though, would be better when everyone was a bit more tipsy from a well-placed dare or two and a bit more lenient after answering questions all night.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:20 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Runi shot a frantic glance over in Megara's direction.

"I don't think they can tell us," she whispered, hiding her face behind her cards just in case she was wrong. "It goes against the game - they're just background characters."
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:29 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

As the group loudly murmured about how they thought the game went, Megara gave Runi a look.

"Game?" Gods, she hoped Runi didn't know something Megara didn't.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:35 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"They're not trying to hide where we are," Runi said, leaning a little closer to her. "They honestly can't give the answer. It's like we're in some kind of simulation or story - whatever brought us here made them for the purpose of adding to the scene."
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:41 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Megara nodded skeptically, "What makes you think that?" It was an interesting theory, but Megara didn't see any evidence of it.

It was her turn again, and she took it quickly before turning back to listen for Runi's answer.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:46 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Runi took her turn as well.

"They didn't ask why we didn't know where we were," she said, "but they didn't hesitate when they gave an answer either. It was like this place was trying to compute - they physically couldn't give a response."

She looked over at Megara, accidentally lowering her cards a little. "I think the name of where we are really doesn't matter to them. They just need to play cards or talk to each other."
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:49 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"Hm. That would make some sense, I guess, considering how my life's been going lately." She shifted her cards to one hand and used a finger to tip Runi's card back up and out of sight, glaring at the guys next to her who was trying to peek.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:51 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

She blinked.

"What do you mean?" she asked. She was totally oblivious to Megara's intervention - she was much too focused on the mystery behind what Megara had said.
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:54 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"I keep getting dragged from world to world," she explained, "Unpredictably thrown into a new situation with new people and stuff. It's really annoying."

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:36 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"Oh," Runi said.

She glanced back down at her cards and at the game, only for her gaze to return to Runi a second later. "I've only had that happen to me once - I got thrown into my friend's world. It was, uh, a very eventful experience, but at least it was at his place and not some random one like here."

She thought for a second.

"Actually," she admitted, "that wasn't the first time I dealt with something like that. I wasn't the one transported, but that's how I met my best friend. He ended up in mine."
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:19 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"Hm," Megara tapped her cards thoughtfully, "I've got a friend who specializes in other worlds. She's a student at this university, big, expensive place. I'll have to ask her to look into this. It can't be normal for people to get yanked around universes like this. Something's probably wrong."

It was her turn again, and she made her play, prompting groans from around the table as she claimed the chips in the center of the table.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:24 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

She rubbed the back of her neck with her free hand.

"Well, in the case with my best friend, it was probably because my old town had a habit of being a little...possessive," she said. "It probably wanted more people, so it grabbed him. And for my time in his world, that was probably the forest I was in before it happened. It's hard to tell."
mage

queer and here.

All the turtles are related.
— Jack Hanna