Young Writers Society

Finding Family

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:22 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Jason gave another little nod, falling into step behind Megara as they walked towards their destination. He made sure to keep his head down and not draw attention to himself as they walked. Part of him wanted to look up more, but he knew he'd stand out like a sore thumb if he did.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:04 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"They don't get a lot of human visitors here," Megara said to fill the quiet, "so these lower levels are mostly deserted." She looked up at the swarms above them, the busy rush of mer better described as a flurry of barely comprehensible color and melodic voices carrying down to them in the silt. She rand a hand over one of the runes on the base of a structure. The curved lines were as thick as she hand, and the glow dimmed under it. A non-magical being interfering with the spell.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:34 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"That's good for us," Jason quietly said.

He quickly drifted off into silence.

His focus was on the melodic voices coming from above; those who lived underwater apparently had very good voices, though he had never discovered if it applied to the people who lived underwater in his reality, too.
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:21 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"Yes, I suppose so." The landscape changed subtly as they got closer to the university. The crowds above them thinned out and the runes turned more frequently to those of the blue variety. Soon enough, the university itself was above them, with its twisting spires and its steady stream of students and professors from every entrance and exit.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:59 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

He stared up at the university's spires and the people flocking to and from it; the sight reminded him of Gotham Academy, though on a much larger scale. Even more so, it reminded him of the college he had gone to before - it had always been so bustling-

He shook the thought away.
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:37 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

They went inside the ground entrance and it was abruptly much darker within the halls, lit only by the red runes lining the floor.

"I've done this before, for someone else," she admitted, "We're going to someone else this time, but one of his friends didn't react well to my methods..." she shook her head, her braids floating up around her ears before drifting back down, "I need you to promise you won't get all dramatic and such, alright?"

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:48 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Jason frowned behind his helmet.

"...Okay?" he hesitantly agreed - slightly worried about not knowing what he was agreeing to. Then the first part registered, and he turned to stare at her with wide eyes. "You've met someone else from another world?"
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:00 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

She rolled her eyes, "Unfortunately, yes. Skull and company, a bunch of undead morons, annoying by association to Skull. The ghost himself had himself some annoying little habits, like sassing off every time he was slightly annoyed, or possessing people as a solution to most problems." She rolled her eyes again, willfully ignoring the fact that she'd actually been a little glad to see him the second time around.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:14 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Something about the name rung a bell, but the chiming wasn't loud enough for him to figure out why. Skull wasn't someone from his world. That much was clear - from his apparent ability to possess people, he would have had some kind of a role in the plot.

"Oh," Jason said. "I guess you meet a lot of previously deceased people."
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:28 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"More than I thought existed a few years ago," she confirmed. A few years ago when she was killing for a living. She wondered what she would have done if she'd know how common it was in the surrounding universes for the dead to return. She imagined she would have done something horrible. She did a lot of that, horrible things.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:36 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"It's new to me too," he admitted. A few years ago was just about right - it was when he had ended up as Jason. He knew that he couldn't tell Megara that, especially when they weren't really friends-

(His hands started going for his wrists again, hidden underneath the cloak.)

-but couldn't ignore the similarity.
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:53 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"Then it's not common where you're from?" her tone suggested she was trying for a joke, but she wasn't really. Her heart wasn't in it. She just had to get this over with.

They were nearing a doorway at which she turned abruptly and tried it. It was a normal human door, rare things down here, with its base on the ground and not a foot or two above it. It was also long and arched at the top rather than circular. Additionally, it was locked. She cursed under her breath and knelt by the lock, pulling a set of lockpicks from a pocket under her cloak an getting to work.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:56 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

He watched her pick the lock.

"It's not something frequently advertised," he replied.
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:17 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"I wouldn't think so." The lock clicked open. They should have had better security here, but then, this was the human entrance. No one cared about the human entrance.

She gestured for Jason to follow her into the busy hall and led the way, keeping close to the wall and ducking her head to avoid being recognized by someone like Finn, who was still salty about...everything she did while she was working for her father, and that little bit she did afterward to get Skull and his friends home.

The crowds in the halls thinned out as they entered the east wing and soon there was no one left around to bother them as they came to the entrance to a tower. This one had only a circular mer entrance several feet off the ground, so Megara had to knock on the base of the higher-than-average door, which came up to about her shoulder.

After a moment, it opened, and the face of a mermaid looked down at them, then promptly vanished followed by the slamming of the door before Megara could get a word in.

She sighed and knocked again, "Ciel, darling," she called sweetly, "you are not usually one to be so rude, let us in, please, I have some things to discuss with you."

There was another moment before the door opened again and the girl swam out, drifting down to tread the water in front of her door with only the occasional lazy flick of her tail as she crossed her arms, "What is it you want this time, miss?" she asked politely.

"Let us in, Ciel," Megara responded with the kind of patient tone that made it clear she wasn't feeling very patient at all.

A pause.

The girl, Ciel, extended a hand toward her door, "Of course, you're both welcome to come in."

Megara gave her thanks and pulled herself up and into the doorway, minding the drop on the other side.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:26 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Jason, sensing the tension between the two, silently followed Megara's example: he pulled himself up and into the doorway, and carefully dropped down on the other side. It honestly wasn't the strangest experience in his life, but it was still hard not to gape at everything behind his helmet and underneath the shadows his cloak cast on his face.
mage

queer and here.

The true adventurer goes forth aimless and uncalculating to meet and greet unknown fate.
— O. Henry (William Sydney Porter)