Evil Never Sleeps

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:09 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Evil Never Sleeps

Brought to you by @ChristenedPages and @Magestorrow!

In a world much like our own, a rather ordinary person named Sam Turner is part of a not-so-secretly evil organization known as Perseus. Their goal? To eradicate all nonhumans, and to cull the magic-wielding humans that go against their agenda. But Sam Turner has a secret that not even their eccentric shapeshifting partner Loki A. Lias knows: they're really the Personification of Magic, and they accidentally got turned human when the multiverse decided to punish them for meddling in human affairs.

In another world, a man named Landon Brassey has discovered a horrible truth. He thought the hardest part of his life would be coming to terms with being a double of another Landon in a different reality, but it's much, much worse: he's the evil original, who lost his memories after starting the destruction of his true world.

But Landon and Magic have a past with each other, and maybe - just maybe - the two will be able to help each other's wounds heal.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:12 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Sam Turner

It had been a pretty good start to the day, ignoring the nightmares. They had been having them ever since the...incident, but they could only be terrifying the first few nights. Now they were just a frustrating reminder of what had happened to them. But they tried their best not to think about that, instead focusing on how gorgeous the view outside was - being up on the third floor certainly had its perks, which was something Loki loved to comment on whenever he crashed in there instead of his first floor room.

But, hey, it was the lair of an evil organization. Dark and dreary places worked well in the movies, but villains always loved some beauty in their lives. They wanted the best of the best, and Perseus’s expansive estate was no exception.

They took a hot shower - the water always felt so nice - and got dressed in their usual attire. All of it was for comfort; it was something they had never quite appreciated until now. A hoodie, jeans, sneakers and their black hair thrown into a ponytail, and they were all set to tackle the day.

They emerged from the room, ready to raid the dining area-

-and promptly walked right into Loki A. Lias, his arms laden with a plethora of food as he stood in front of their door. They could see Thor peeking out from his suit pocket, watching them with an intelligent glint to his reptilian eyes. They grinned and joined Loki out into the hallway, snagging an apple from his arms and taking a large, crunchy bite out of it as they continued walking.

“So,” they said, tossing the apple from one hand to the other, “sleep well?”

“As well as I ever do,” Loki replied. “Which, of course, means I slept like a baby.”

“Of course,” they agreed. They ignored the bags underneath his eyes; Loki always seemed to forget to change those, even when he claimed that he had slept perfectly well.

“I’m heading to the library this morning before we get our mission for the day,” Loki said. Despite his arms being filled with food, he still managed to open a bag of pretzels and shove a handful into his mouth. “Want to join me?”

They sighed and took another bite of the apple. “I’d love to, but I promised Amelia that I’d look over those old files of hers,” they lied. “I was planning on heading there after I got a bite to eat.”

Loki frowned. “That’s a shame - the library’s never as fun without my Jessie.”

“The last time I checked, I was James, and you were Jessie,” they shot back, nudging him with their elbow.

“Pretty sure it’s me,” Loki replied, darting forward when they tried to grab more food from his latest stash. “Well, see you later, Jessie!”

And, with that, Loki had disappeared through the library’s impressive doors.

Their smile faded from their lips as they threw the apple’s core into a nearby garbage can. It had been three months since they had joined Perseus - three months since they had started working with Loki A. Lias as their partner - and they still couldn’t get themselves to stop liking him so much. They should have hated him, given what he stood for. But Loki was honestly a fun guy to hang out with, and had a tendency to fulfill all of their childish urges with his tendency to tease and go on impromptu escapades throughout the estate or surrounding areas.

Well, they could debate morality later. Right now they had to do a little bit of digging of their own; a little lie here and there, and they’d be getting their hands on those documents in no time-

They abruptly stopped in the hallway and stared at the person only a short distance away.

They had to be imagining things, right? It couldn’t be him - not here, not now.

“...Landon?” they managed to get out.
mage

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:09 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Landon Brassey

Landon had no idea how he had ended up where he was, with his eyes swollen and his clothes dirtied. Well, he knew how those last two had happened, at least.

He had left to get food for them all, and when he had come back, Reida and Vesper had been fighting. He had walked toward their campsite quietly, not wanting to interrupt them, but maybe that had been a bad idea.

They obviously didn't know that he was listening, because that was the instant that Vesper had told Reida a very important bit of information concerning him.

Specifically, that he wasn't a double, or even from the world that he thought he was from. He was like Reida, except that he was an evil mage.

And he had single-handedly caused all of the problems that they had been working to fix.

As dumb as it was, he had dropped their food right there and ran. He couldn't think of anything else to do- wasn't thinking at all, actually.

When he could finally get over some of his shock enough to evaluate the situation, he had found himself standing in the middle of the woods, completely lost, with tears streaming down his face.

He had decided to double back and try to find the camp again, even though he knew for certain that he wasn't ready to face Reida and Vesper yet. Next thing he knew, the trees had changed- faded, somehow, and dispersed- and he found himself walking up to a very curious building.

Now he was inside, in a hallway, even more in shock than he had been before, because someone who he was sure he had never met had spotted him and called his name.

He could only stand and gape.
Last edited by ChristenedPages on Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"what dose the raccoon look like?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:11 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Sam Turner

They still could barely wrap their head around the idea that Landon was here in the base of all places, but they didn’t have a chance to ask questions - the door to the library was opening only a short distance away, and they knew there was no way they could hide Landon in that period of time.

But they did have one thing in their favor: Landon was human, and Perseus was happy to employ anyone who agreed with their cause. By the time the person had emerged from the library, they had darted down to Landon’s side and thrown their arm over his shoulder. Their heart hated the proximity; it made their cheeks grow red and their stomach twist and turn. But their mind knew the importance of keeping up the charade, so they tried to act as casual as they always did.

And, of course, it was Loki that had emerged from the library. They gave him a smile that easily went up to their eyes, their grip on Landon’s shoulder tightening as they watched Loki approach. They had to keep being themself - if they acted odd in any way whatsoever, Loki was sure to catch on.

“Hey, Sam, before you go-” Loki started to say, only to stop when he noticed they were with another person. His posture grew noticeably stiffer and straighter, and even Thor - the little snake peeking out from his pocket - managed to look slightly more professional than before. “Who’s that?”

“This is Landon,” they said. “He’s a...friend. He decided to surprise me with a visit, so I’m going to surprise him with a tour. Who knows? Maybe he’ll be impressed enough to work here.”

Loki grinned, but the smile didn’t reach his eyes. Had he figured out that they were lying? “If he’s your friend, I’m sure he’d make a great addition to Perseus,” their partner said. Thor nodded in his pocket, but Loki didn’t seem to notice.

He just kept staring at Landon.

“Oh, he would,” they agreed with an earnest nod. They patted Landon on the back. “He’s as villainous as I am. I would tell you about some of the things he’s accomplished, but it would probably ruin your appetite.”

“That reminds me - I should probably go finish my breakfast before someone throws it out,” Loki said. He tore his gaze away from Landon and started to head back towards the library. They knew they should be grateful that Loki had decided to leave, but something seemed off about their partner.

Against their better judgement, they decided to say something else to him.

“What did you want to talk to me about?” they asked.

Loki dismissed the question with a wave of his hand. “It’s nothing!” he shouted, then hurried back inside the library before they could ask him anything else.

They frowned, then turned back to Landon. Now that the initial adrenaline had died down, they suddenly realized how horrible their friend looked. Gaze softening, they asked, “Are you okay?”
mage

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:47 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Landon Brassey

Landon jumped back a little step as the person suddenly slung their arm around him. It was no use- their grip was too tight. He could only stand uncomfortably, his eyes practically bugging out and he stared at the stranger.

He was certain he'd never seen this person before in his life, but somehow they knew his name.

His mouth started to open to protest, or to inquire, but then another stranger had appeared, and he was involuntarily sucked into their conversation.

As Sam (he learned that that was the person’s name) introduced him to the man who had approached, he felt his blood slowly run cold.

Villainous, they'd called him. They mentioned things that he'd done, in a very ominous, negative way.

It occurred to him then that maybe he did know this person. They had just been another lost memory, like everything else. And if he knew them before, it meant that they were somehow one of his evil colleagues- or something like that.

The thought made him want to be sick, or cry some more, but he fought both of those urges down as the man left and he pushed himself away from Sam.

Their question registered, and he shook his head quickly, his mind darting to find the right response. He finally decided on the truth. He didn't have any other stories to spin.

“No, no, I'm not all right.” He said quietly, a waver in his voice. “And I'm not- I’m not myself right now, okay?”

He felt the furrow between his brows grow as he breathed hard, fighting back the tears he had denied only a moment earlier. Squeezing his hands into fists, he turned away, not wanting to cry in front of this stranger who apparently knew the real him.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:48 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Sam Turner

Something was wrong.

Very wrong.

They knew Landon probably thought they were a complete stranger - it was what had happened back in the tavern when they had used a different form and a different voice. But they would have thought that Landon would have pieced it together; they knew his name, and looked completely unfamiliar. Wasn’t that an indicator that they could change their form?

But Landon hadn’t come to that conclusion. Maybe that was for the best. They could never tell when someone was watching, and Landon blurting out their actual name might ruin everything. It could even get the both of them killed, and this time they didn’t have the magic of the multiverse at their disposal. They were a weak, useless human now; even if they didn’t believe that Sam Turner was actually the Personification of Magic, the nickname would cast doubt on their story.

They couldn’t risk that.

But they also couldn’t watch Landon look so sad and afraid as he turned his back to them, so they darted forward and grabbed onto his wrist. They didn’t give him a chance to question what they were doing - they needed to get away from the hallway, where anyone could be prying with a camera or some other means. “Let’s start the tour now,” they said, a forced cheerful tone to their voice. “Loki - my partner - just went into the library, but we’ll go check that out later. Right now, we have our first stop: my room!”

They rushed down the hallway with Landon in tow, jerking him into their room and slamming the door behind them before finally letting go of his wrist. After a moment of hesitation, they locked the door as well. They couldn’t tell if it was to keep Landon in or keep other people out. They just knew they had to prevent the possibility of Landon’s panic revealing the truth.

They leaned up against the door as an extra precaution.

“Landon, I’m-” They faltered, noticing just how red their friend’s eyes were. The door was forgotten as they hurried over to his side and threw their arms around him, giving him a tight, impulsive squeeze. “I’m sorry for scaring you. I know you’re not really like that. I just...I just had to pretend that you were. And I know that I seem like a horrible person right now, but I swear I’m not. I just had to keep up an act. Loki’s my partner, and if I had acted off, he might have told someone.”

They hesitated, then buried their face into his chest. Landon was taller than them, now. Sometimes he had been. Sometimes he hadn’t. But now he was always going to be taller than them, and the thought made tears spring unwelcome to their eyes. “I’m sorry that I’m acting so clingy and mysterious. I haven’t even told you my name. I just haven’t...just haven’t been around someone who knows me as me for more than three months. Everyone here knows me as Sam Turner. Even Shadow and Zion and Ari think that’s my name, and that I’m just stupidly evil and weak human who decided to join an absolutely horrible group of people. And I’m not Sam. I’m not...I’m not a human, and I’m not normal. Or maybe I am. I don’t know anymore, Landon. Everything’s just been a big blur, and I can’t tell how much of myself I’ve lost.”

They hurriedly pulled away and frantically tried to wipe the tears from their eyes. “I’m sorry. You’re the one who needs the chance to cry right now, not me. And you’re probably still scared of me, too, because you think I’m Sam like the rest of them.” They gave him an unsteady smile, their tears still stubbornly streaming down their cheeks. “I’m the Personification of Magic. I can’t-I can’t change my form to prove it, but I swear that’s who I really am.”
mage

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:53 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Landon Brassey

Landon had figured out who Sam really was a bit after they had pulled him into their room. There was something about the way they behaved once their act had dropped that made him know instantly who they were. Maybe it was it the way they said his name.

He listened carefully as they went on, and his own worries slowly left him and they pressed their face into his chest. His expression broke a little, and he couldn't tell if what he was feeling was relief or something else.

He pushed down the worry that came with what Magic would think when he told them what he had found out, and focused on them instead.

“Magic, no, I- I believe you.” He said softly, and gathered them to his chest once more. “It is you.”

He squeezed them and rested his cheek against their head, making little comforting noises. His own tears, thankfully, had dried up the moment he had figured out who they were.

After a moment, he pulled back a little to get a better look at them.

“Start over- what happened? You said you can't change your form?”

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Personification of Magic

They should have been mortified at the proximity, but Landon resting his head on their own made them feel a warm sense of comfort settle in their all-too-human chest. They could have easily remained there for an eternity, just feeling the comfort of another person embracing them. But then Landon pulled away - even though it was only a short bit - and they realized that they couldn’t keep forgetting about the world around them. They were standing in the middle of the base of an absolutely nefarious group of people, far different than they had been the last time Landon had seen them.

They wiped their wet eyes with the palm of their hand.

“Remember when I couldn’t fully use my magic after my soul was separated from my body?”

They took a deep breath and ran their fingers through their hair.

“Well, it’s kind of like that,” they hesitantly said. “But...more extreme. Back then, I was partially connected to the flow of magic. I could still feel it, and I could still do some spells.”

They slipped out of his grip, walking past him and sitting in their spinning desk chair instead. They spun it around so they were facing him, though they did push it farther away from him. It wasn’t that they were afraid of him; they just needed some space to explain things. “It’s different this time. I...I did something I really shouldn’t have. I should have seen it coming, really, but I was just too worried. There’s a group called Perseus - their goal is to eradicate anything nonhuman and anything magical that poses a threat to humanity - and I wanted to do something about them. So I-I tried to research them. It just started with listening, first. Just talking to people during cooldowns, swinging by some of the nonhuman communities and just paying attention.”

They closed their eyes and leaned back ever so slightly in the chair.

“But there’s only so much I could learn. So I came up with another idea - I’d actually follow them around, and maybe figure out where their base was. I quickly discovered that their base is heavily warded, ironically enough, and that I’d be noticed in a heartbeat, so I did some digging and found out that there was a night club they liked to frequent.” They opened their eyes, gaze focusing on the ceiling instead of on Landon. “I went to the nightclub. One of the most frequent people who goes there is a guy named Loki A. Lias. He’s the resident shapeshifter, and the name everyone knows. I was watching him when I realized I could slip past the wards if I disguised myself as a human. So I used a spell or two, and that’s when the multiverse realized what I was up to. Balance needed to be restored. The spell disguised me as a human, but not in the way I had wanted - it just turned me into one. And no matter what spell I try to use, I can’t use magic.”

They finally looked back at Landon, feet touching the floor as they leaned forward.

“Loki saw me when I passed out after turning myself human,” they explained. They gestured at the room around them. “He brought me here - not to my room, but his. Not a single ward was set off. And even though I was panicking about not being able to connect to...myself, I guess, I realized this was my chance. I hammed things up. I told Loki how much I despised magical creatures - I even blamed my passing out on an encounter with a fairy gone horribly wrong. And he bought it. He went to the people in charge and asked if I could join. They said yes, and I was officially made a member of Perseus. Loki had just lost his partner, too - she had left the organization - so they made me his new one. We’ve been working together ever since then, though our success rate is close to nothing thanks to our targets always being warned ahead of time.”
mage

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:19 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Landon Brassey

Landon had stepped back until he was sitting on the bed, and he watched his friend from over his knotted hands, taking all of their story in.

“And I’d bet anything the tip-offs were from you.” He commented quietly, tilting his head.

He didn't wait for them to respond before he pressed on, his brown eyes wide and had hands doing the talking as he verbally thought through this even more.

“So, let me get this straight- you're now forced to work for an evil group that hates magic, as a human, and you can't change back or access any of said magic, all because the multiverse had to right itself?”

He took a breath and ran his hands through his hair, only serving to muse it even further and dislodge a couple of leaves.

“Has anything like this ever happened before?” He frowned, biting his lip.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:06 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Personification of Magic

“That’s basically it,” they confirmed. They rubbed the back of their neck. “...I’ve had similar things happen before, but never like this. The closest was when I diverted the souls and put them in wooden bodies.”

They let out a sigh.

“Although I guess this is for the best,” they admitted, shifting in their seat. “It’s given me a shot to figure out how they work. And it I can get my hands on documents that list deaths that can be attributed to them - or even something as minor as tax evasion - I can get the members of Perseus in jail. Then, when I turn back to me and not like this, I won't be worrying about Perseus running free.”

They spun the chair around, pushing off the desk and stopping when they were looking at Landon again. The push had propelled them closer to him; they tried to ignore how flustered they felt when they realized they were looking right into his face.

“Luckily, I’m not the only person trying to sabotage them,” Magic said, giving Landon a little grin. “I actually wasn't responsible for the tip-offs. Someone else is - there’s a girl named Celeste. I haven't met her, but she keeps finding out when we’re going somewhere. Other members of Perseus have failed thanks to her, but Loki’s failed the most. Someone on the inside must be giving her all the information, and I’m pretty sure that someone doesn't like Loki all that much.”
mage

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:47 am
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Landon Brassey

“That is a good thing,” he agreed, though his brow was still slightly furrowed. “As long as you don't get found out. But I hope things will get better for you and it won't be so stressful. You seemed pretty upset a minute ago… it's not a good idea to let things like this build up.”

He looked down and absently gripped an arm of the spinning chair, gently spinning them back and forth. His worry had come out prominently in his tone, and it made him suddenly shy.

At his own mention of not letting things build up, a little frown had pulled at his mouth, and he reveled in the relief that Magic seemed to have forgotten how upset he had been himself.

It wasn't that he didn't want to tell them about what he had found out… he knew that he should, but he was also afraid of how their view of them might change.

After a long moment of being lost in his own thoughts, still spinning them slowly back and forth (he had switched to using two hands), he was able to successfully shake his own problems off and focus on Magic again. Taking a breath, he looked up to meet their eyes.

“And I am glad that you're having some sort of help.” He pulled a crooked smile at this. “At least you aren't single-handedly trying to sabotage Perseus.”

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:57 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Personification of Magic

“Yeah,” they agreed. They still needed to figure out what they were going to do now that Landon was here, but they had already gotten their explanation out of the way. Landon knew who they were now, and had been caught up on everything that had happened since their last meeting. That was the important part. Now that Landon knew the part that Magic had to play, he could play the part that he had to play if they encountered anyone from Perseus.

But before they ventured out into hallways again, they needed to address what they had noticed ever since they had realized that Landon was standing in the hallway: how terrible their friend looked.

“Landon, what’s wrong?” they asked. They drew their legs and crossed them, but still remained perfectly balanced on the seat. “Your eyes were red when I first saw you in the hallway, and you have leaves and twigs all over you.”

They thought through the possible reasons for a reaction like that, and only one of them came to mind. It had to do with the state of his reality. And, more importantly, it had to do with himself.

“...Did you meet the other you?” they hesitantly asked.
mage

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:04 am
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Landon Brassey

Landon startled a bit, moving his arms back. For a omg moment, he just sat, chewing on his lip. It had probably been too much to hope that Magic would forget all about his state- they were too good of a friend for that.

Finally, he mustered a little sigh and glanced up at them.

“Not exactly…” he started warily. “Um. It turns out that there is no ‘other me’. I'm- I'm like Reida, I guess. My real memories were lost in the crash and with the whole ‘new reality being built’ thing. Which, now that I think about it, I might have had a hand in accidentally causing in the first place-”

He stopped himself a moment, realizing that he was heading into ranting territory and only stalling more. He shook his head to clear his thoughts. After steeling himself again, and picking another leaf from his hair, he tried his best to get straight to the point.

“And that would be great news. Y’know- all that would be left to do would be to regain my memories, and at least I know now that I'm myself, but…” he took another breath, pulling a pained expression. “I also found out who I really am, and it's not so great, because I'm- uh.”

“I’m actually evil. A wizard or… mage, they called it.” He looked Magic in the eyes, his own glittering with either tears or emotion.

His voice lowered hoarsely. “And... I was the one who destroyed our world.”

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:14 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Personification of Magic

What were they supposed to say to something like that?

They wanted to feel happy for him - Landon had always been distressed at the thought of only being someone’s double, even though Magic had always felt that the doubles were just as important and unique as the originals. To find out that he was actually from Reida’s reality was supposed to be a victory; he couldn’t think that he wasn’t supposed to exist.

But now being the first Landon was worse than being the second, and Magic - just for a moment - wished that they could change the fate of the universe and make it so there was another Landon tucked away in the first of the two realities. And, to make matters worse, Landon couldn’t even go off of his memories to figure out what he had been like before. He must have been told it or overheard someone else talking about it; it didn’t seem like he remembered anything from before the switch.

They got out of their spinning chair and sat down next to him.

They were silent for the following moment, trying to figure out how they were going to reply to what they had been told. It reminded them of the conversations that they had with people during interdimensional cooldowns. Sometimes, there just wasn’t really an answer for their problem. And Magic was normally okay with that, but Landon wasn’t just some random stranger the multiverse had forced them to meet. Landon was their friend. And they couldn’t just come up with something on the fly.

Landon deserved better.

“I’m sorry,” they said. “I...I know that you’ve always regretted being the second Landon and not the first, but this is…”

They faltered, then hesitantly grabbed onto his nearest hand and gave it a tight squeeze.

“I never looked into your reality before. I wish I had. Then I could tell you for certain what you were like before you lost your memories - I could find out why you ended up in the other reality. I could tell you why you were ‘evil’ back then, and then you wouldn’t be so upset right now.”

They gave his hand another squeeze, then grabbed onto the other hand as well and did the same. They rested the two pairs of hands in Landon’s lap; they didn’t even try to let go when they did.

“But I don’t need to do that to know that there has to be more to the story than you’ve been told,” they said. Their tone was serious, but it was filled with a comforting warmth. “Landon, you’re one of the best people I’ve ever met. You’re sweet, you’re nice and you love learning about everything under the sun. You’re a great friend - even when you’re upset, you’re happy to push aside your own troubles to help someone out. And you don’t try to hide the truth, either, even when it hurts.”

Magic moved a little closer to him. Their thighs touched, but they didn’t try to move. Landon needed the comfort of another person near him.. “So I don’t think you can be evil, Landon. You’re too good for that. Maybe there’s something that made you join the group. Maybe you didn’t know what you were doing. Or maybe you did what I’m doing right now - working for the bad guys - so you can take them down from the inside.”

They gave him a small smile.

“I just know that whatever the case is, you’re still the same person I met back when I got us all stuck in wooden bodies,” they said. “I promise. I’ve been around for a long time, and I can tell when someone’s really good or not. And I never once thought that you could be a bad person.”
mage

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:18 am
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Landon Brassey

His heart swelled with Magic’s reassurances, and he hoped desperately that they were true. For a moment, all he could do was nod pathetically, squeezing their hands to let them know that they were okay.

A few beats passed, and his head gently slipped down to rest on their shoulder. All of his crying and mishaps from earlier had left him drained, and plus; right now, his friend’s presence was deeply comforting. He was soaking it up.

“Thank you.” he finally whispered, looking up at Magic’s face, which was now very close. “Thank you. You don’t know how much I… needed to hear that. I hope it is true.”

He pulled their bundle of intertwined hands to his chest and hugged it to him, letting his eyes drift shut.

“And, you know,” he started softly, eyes still closed. “Even if… even if I get my memories back and find out that I was- am- just a horrible person, I can always make up for it. I hope. I’ll feel the way I do about it now. Maybe this is just the multiverse giving me the chance to have a do-over.”

He let out a slow, peaceful breath. Already, with telling Magic and starting to talk it over, he felt so much better about his situation. It didn’t seem to be the end of the world to him now, but maybe that was just because he knew for sure now that at least one of his friends hadn’t disowned him for what he’d found out.

The secret of being tiresome is to tell everything.
— Voltaire