Young Writers Society

Two Sides Of A Coin

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:38 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Damascus

"Yes, wonderful," he nodded and started walking down the isle, only to be met with a dead end and quickly turn back. His face remained impassive, calling no attention whatsoever to the fact that he had forgotten which way he had came into the store.
Last edited by ChristenedPages on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"what dose the raccoon look like?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:54 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Tessa Bryant

She couldn't help it. She knew it wasn't good to anger the unnatural people of the world, since it was impossible to tell just what exactly they were capable of, but Damascus wasn't exactly the type of person who seemed to get angry easily. A snicker escaped her lips as she watched him head in the completely wrong direction despite having only just entered the store, and quickly joined him as he went towards the store's entrance.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:34 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Damascus

Damascus chose to ignore Tessa's little laugh at his expense, and focused on walking calmly down the sidewalk. He hung back to let Tessa lead, since, of course, he wouldn't have no idea where the park was, and concentrated instead on observing all the people walking by. This blatant staring continued until he happened to glimpse a half-dressed woman jogging down a parallel sidewalk.

Widening his eyes, he quickly stared forward, a bit surprised if anything else. It seemed like things had changed drastically in the Land of the Living since he had last visited.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:18 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Tessa Bryant

She watched his reaction to the woman with interest. For some reason, seeing a jogger surprised him, and she was getting more and more into the theory of him having jumped from one time to another. But, then again, that didn't make a lot of sense. Following the trends of clothing in Western society, clothing should have gotten progressively more revealing in the future. And Damascus wasn't exactly a futuristic-sounding name.

So maybe he was some sort of creature that had been hiding away from humans so long that he had no idea what they were like now? If he was comparing golden eyeshadow to the makeup of royalty, and getting flustered over a jogger's amount of clothing, he'd have to be old.

Like really old.

"This isn't a fully formed guess yet," she said, making sure to keep her voice low enough that any people that might pass them in the future couldn't hear what she was saying, "but I'm going to go on a limb and say that you're not a human."
mage

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:04 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Damascus

He stopped walking and let out a little groan in defeat. Dammit- he really needed to be less obvious. In all honestly, though, he was glad that Tessa had been the one to find him in the shop. She didn't seem dangerous, and apparently she had experience with beings who weren't human. Maybe this was a blessing- maybe she could teach him how to conceal his telling factors from other humans.

"I would refrain from confirming or denying that, but it's a guess of my own that my reaction has already given myself away." He gave a little helpless smile. "So, yes, you are correct. I'm not human."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:05 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Tessa Bryant

"I knew it!" she exclaimed, only to look just a little sheepish when she remembered they were standing in the middle of a street. She made sure to drop her voice down several levels when she continued to talk to him. "You're just too oblivious about most modern things. I thought you might have been a time traveler, but you kept talking about things from the past and not the future. So you must be some sort of supernatural being that doesn't get to go out much."
mage

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:29 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Damascus

He cleared his throat loudly to cover up the helpless little whimper building at the back of his throat. He'd only known Tessa for less than an hour, and already she had neatly figured him out. Opening his mouth to take another stab at an allusive comment, he stopped short. Thankfully, a distraction had presented itself right in front of them.

"That's the play-ground, isn't it?" With a smile, he pointed ahead. "It looks... cheerful, really. Also a bit small."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:39 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Tessa Bryant

"Well, playgrounds are for kids," Tessa admitted. She looked over at Damascus. "They're not really for people my age and however old you are, so they're not going to fit either one of us that well."

She mulled over the conversation for a few more seconds, trying to figure out what they should do next. Damascus had wanted to see what the town's playground looked like. It wasn't like they could actually go on it, so they needed something else to do. There was also the elephant in the room that she needed to address: Damascus looked like he was somewhere in his twenties or up, and she only looked like she was in her late teens. While that wasn't normally a problem, Damascus was already drawing plenty of attention to himself - his behavior was one thing, and there was also the matter of his red eyes.

And, of course, there was the fact that his name was Damascus.

"Hey, Damascus," she whispered, despite there being no one in their relatively close vicinity. "You're not able to shapeshift, by any chance, are you? Because I think it might help draw less attention to us if you look closer to my age, but we should hopefully be okay if you can't. Also, how do you feel about me using a more modern name when I'm talking to you around other people? Damascus is a cool name, but it's not exactly a normal one for this area. Something like...hm...Damian might work better? Damian still sort of sounds like Damascus."
mage

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:32 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Damascus

"Oh! I am, actually! I haven't done younger appearances in awhile, but.." he frowned and glanced around, edging a bit closer to a nearby tree before he shifted into a less-aged version of his current form, though not perfectly exact- to someone more familiar with his appearance, he would have looked like a different person.

It only took him a few moments, and when he was finished, he stepped out a couple of inches shorter, for one, besides the sinigicantly lither frame and softer facial features. His clothes hung a bit looser on him, and he quickly conquered some better-fitting ones,

"There we go. And... Damian, you said?" He blinked and mulled it over, "sure. I can answer to that."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:15 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Tessa Bryant

"Whoa," she said, eyes widening in awe as she watched the change occur. Magic had been able to do things like that, too, but it had been different - there had been those white particles, and it had almost looked like they had glitched out of reality. This change had been smoother and more natural. In all honesty, it was a beautiful thing to watch.

But she pushed that awe because it would be rude to gawk at him, and turned her attention back to the playground. "Do you still want to check out the playground, or do you want to go somewhere else?"
mage

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:18 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Damascus

He frowned as he watched the children playing. "Well... you said it would be unusual for someone your age to be here. I don't want to draw unnecessary attention to myself." With a sigh, he glanced back over at Tessa. "Somewhere else, then."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:29 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Tessa Bryant

She awasn't going to lie to herself - she was surprised that Damascus was so heartbroken over not getting to use the playground. After thinking it over, she grabbed onto his wrist and brought him behind the tree he had used to change forms only a minute or two before. "Damascus," she whispered, "you can shapeshift. It might be weird for me to be here if I was here with another teenager, but if you look even younger, we could totally get away with it. I just have to say that you're my little cousin or something, and you just have to act like a little kid."
mage

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:18 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Damascus

He studied Tessa, his eyes lighting up a little at her suggestion. "Oh... oh! That's right, I can."

Mulling this over, he slowly changed his form once again. When he was finished, he stood about a foot and a half shorter, with round cheeks and black hair that seemed to defy the laws of gravity in how much it stood up in every direction. Looking down at his extremely baggy clothes, he conjured smaller ones yet again.

"I won't be very long, promise." He said, now in a child's voice. "I just want to try the equipment. Also, um." He cleared his throat. "How, exactly... do I act like a 'little kid'?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:00 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Tessa Bryant

She mused over the question for a minute. It had been awhile since she had really interacted with little kids, and it was difficult remembering what they were supposed to be like. They were probably supposed to be excited about everything, and do a lot of running around, right? "I'm not exactly sure," she admitted, "but I think-"

She was cut off by someone suddenly jumping out of the tree they were in and landing on the ground behind her. Tessa's immediate reaction was to spin around and try to conceal Damascus, which wasn't too hard of a feat now that he was so small.

And then she tried to withhold a gulp, because the girl standing in front of her was exactly the type of person she didn't want to see right now.

"Hi, Tess," the girl said, brushing off the little twigs and leave stuck to her clothing. It was different than the last time she had seen her - now she was wearing a dark purple jacket, jeans, a black t-shirt and little combat boots. She tucked a strand of dark purple hair behind one ear as she looked her over with dark brown eyes. "You were just the person I was looking for."

"Hey, Ruth. Why were you looking for m-"

Ruth's attention span had already been lost. She took a large step to the side and peered around Tessa to get a good look at Damascus. Normally this wouldn't be much of a problem, but Damascus was currently stuck looking like a child and she severely doubted his acting skills would be good enough to trick Ruth. "Oh, hey there, little guy," Ruth said, crouching down and waving at Damascus. "You never mentioned you had a brother."

"He's my cousin, actually," Tessa said, her voice tense.

"I didn't know you had demon blood in your family!" Ruth excitedly exclaimed, popping back up and giving Tessa a big grin.

"Wait, what are you-"

"Oh," Ruth said, suddenly sounding sheepish and a little bit nervous. "You didn't know, did you? He has red eyes, and red eyes tends to mean that someone's a demon...This is, uh, awkward..."
mage

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:05 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Damascus

Damascus gaped at the purple-haired girl, Ruth, as she made quite the entrance. He quickly closed his mouth as she surveyed him, his eyes widening as he tried not to reveal his identity in any way. Unfortunately, it seemed all the acting in the world wouldn't conceal his eyes.

The moment Ruth pronounced him a demon to Tessa, he bristled scowled deeply.

"It was supposed to be a secret!" He shrieked, wincing as his voice cracked. "Now Tessa will never take me on a tour of the town."

Edna began to feel like one who awakens gradually out of a dream, a delicious, grotesque, impossible dream, to feel again the realities pressing into her soul.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening