Young Writers Society

Seeing Double

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:18 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Apophis' form shimmered in reply as she receded into her vessel - a beautiful woman, if one on the shorter side, with long, coppery hair and reddish eyes. She wore a black leather jacket and tight jeans. She flashed the others a white-toothed smile. "Human as human can be. Sarah's the name of my vessel so it's what I usually use."

"Lucius. Blame the lack of creativity on Sathanus," Lucifer says. A moment after he spoke his face went hard as he tried to hide the grief betrayed by the look in his eye - Sathanus. His closest brother, the one who was now dead.

~<>~

The King's demon began to emerge as he walked, wings unfurling from his shoulders and scales becoming apparent on the back of his hands. "Where is your master?" he asked Engel curtly.

"Try to kill him and I'm sure she'll be happy to grace you with her presence," the man answered dryly.

Cornyx shot him a look that spoke volumes but he didn't have time to fight with the German now. The building shook again and both men stumbled - whoever or whatever this was was intent on bringing the place down.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:32 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Vessel. He recognized the word - rather, recognized its connotation. Lucifer had overheard it when God was watching Supernatural. Some of the characters had been vessels for beings like angels, but he remembered thinking about how much it rubbed him the wrong way. It just seemed wrong for someone to sacrifice their freedom to let another person take control and do whatever they wanted in the body.

He fiddled with his collar again.

He had already been feeling off about this whole situation, and the feeling was only growing worse.

Apophis, noting the growing tension, decided to his best to dispel it. He looked at the people present, cleared his throat and then said, "So how close is the nearest McDonald's?"

xXx

As the building shook again, God also stumbled. He was still a good distance between Engel and Cornyx - just far enough that they wouldn't see him out of the corner of their eyes, though he had no qualms about them discovering that they were being followed - but he hadn't lost sight of them. He didn't want to think about how lost he would get if he did, or how there was still that shaking rumbling through the building.

He slipped his backpack off of his shoulders. Popping open the top, he began to dig through its contents as he continued following the two. He eventually found what he was looking for - his bat. He pulled it out, slipped his bag back on and followed Cornyx and Engel with more certainty. He was sure that they had noticed him now. Cornyx had had an aversion to his bat back when they first met, so he guessed that it was a demon thing here to dislike holy water and iron nails.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:19 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Apophis closed her eyes and was silent for a few moments. "Just a few blocks, according to Sarah."

~<**>~

They descended down a long staircase through a heavy door, and the building continued to shake every few minutes. Cornyx pulled a key out of his pocket as they walked and at the end of the staircase opened a large, metal door that was obviously made to keep something in more than out.

It opened into a small room that was bare with the exception of the chains dangling off the back wall. Attached to these chains was a golden-eyed, dark-skinned man with dreads. His size was average but the man was muscular and obviously no stranger to combat if the scars were anything to go by. Most notable, however, was the enormous pair of wings that were iron gray and finely barred underneath and sprouted from his shoulders. He was, however, quite unconscious.

A woman was already there. She was wearing a long, black dress, and she let her black hair fall loosely around her shoulders. She glanced back at Cornyx with an unnatural emerald gaze.

"Cornyx, glad you made it." Her eyes flickered to Dean, then back to the King of Hell.

The temperature drop was unmistakable. "What is it you want, Boomslang?"

"Silberfuchs, take care of it," she said, nodding to God.

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:37 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Apophis smiled. "Lead the way, then."

xXx

What caused his eyes to widen wasn't the woman standing in the room. It wasn't her order to kill him - likely given to the strange masked man, who he hadn't trusted to begin with. It wasn't even the fact that the chained man had wings. It was the fact that there was a chained man to begin with, and the fact that Cornyx had to be responsible for his imprisonment. He had known that Cornyx was a different person now and was capable of horrible things, but he hadn't realized that Cornyx would have gone through with them.

He readied his bat - he knew that someone was bound to attack him - and started to make his way over to the chained man. He didn't run; he just calmly walked towards him, bat casually held out in front of him.
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:45 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

She did, and as she did so she produced a rat that she fed to the snake that was on her shoulder.

~<**>~

A gun was in Engel's fingers moments after Boomslang gave the order. Two sheets of ice came up simultaneously - the first was between Dean and the winged man, and the second was between Engel and Dean.

"Enough," Cornyx said icily. "Consider him an asset. He's to be left alone."

The masked man hesitated and stood down, but deferred to the green-eyed woman instead of to Cornyx. The woman in question seemed none to pleased about Cornyx's assertion.

"Asset? Asset? Don't tell me you've become sentimental. Drop the ice and let the Fox deal with him. That's the end of it."

"No."

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:09 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Lucifer and Apophis silently followed her, Apophis sending a worried look in his best friend's direction. The suit was one sign that he wasn't feeling so good about something, but the way he was fiddling with its collar was an even better indicator of that.

xXx

Well, at least Cornyx had some humanity left in him. Not much, from the way he was called an asset and from the way that the man was chained up, but he did seem to have a little bit of a heart in the middle of all that darkness.

"I'm not going to lie," God said, turning to the man pointing a gun at him. Even though he was watching him, the true target of his dialogue was Cornyx. "I'm touched that you think of me as an asset, but I really don't need you protecting me. Especially after seeing how you chained that guy up over there. Didn't you ever read the Constitution? That's looking like some cruel and unusual torture over there, and I'll hit over the head with my bat if you try arguing that this is Hell and punishment like that is just. My Hell doesn't treat people like total scum - even if some of them are - and, besides. Something tells me that your friend over there is an angel. Hmmm. Mikael, maybe? You did say that he couldn't stop you, after all."
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:23 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

The McDonald's was just a few blocks away, so soon enough they were at the door.

~<**>~

Cornyx sighed, exasperated. "If it was just then it wouldn't be a problem for you and Mikael and everyone else, now would it?" he said, gesturing to the angel. "I told you to stop trying to convince me. You are helping no one right now, and especially not yourself. If you don't want my help, fine." He tucked his hands into his pockets and let the ice between Dean and Kratzer fall. "Snakes prefer their food live anyways."

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:45 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Apophis and Lucifer let their counterparts enter first; after all, it was this reality's Apophis who actually had knowledge of this place. Lucifer kept fiddling with the collar of his suit all the while. Apophis really wished his best friend had stuck with his original outfit, but there was nothing he could currently do about Lucifer's discomfort.

xXx

If he wasn't so evil, God might have complimented him on the burn. Oh well. Too bad for him, he supposed.

"Hey, Cornyx!" God shouted, readying his bat. He knew that it was the masked man that was most likely to attack first, but there was still a chance of the woman - who must have been his superior - deciding the team up with him. He just had to be prepared. But while he waited to see how they would attack, he still had one very good thing to occupy himself with: taunting Cornyx. "Remember what I said back in that ghost town? About how I wouldn't hurt you as long as you didn't harm other people?"

He pointed tip his bat in the direction of the unconscious angel.

"Well, I think you can take the hint. Hope you're ready for a fight when I'm done in here!"
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:57 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"I'll just have the usual," Apophis tells Lucifer. "I'll stay out here; I don't want to leave my snake out here."

Luci nodded and opened the door for his counterpart and the other Apophis.

~<**>~

He ignored him as he departed, ascending the staircase that had initially brought him in and leaving Dean with the woman and her...guard? Servant? Thug?

Whichever he was, he fanned out to the side to flank Dean and move between him and Mikael. Boomslang's eyes were glowing and her pupils had become vertical as the demon revealed itself. Her teeth elongated as she advanced and the shadows danced around her feet and fingers.

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:13 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Apophis looked down at his own snakes, and then realized that it was probably best for him to remain outside as well. "Could you get me a burger?" he asked his Lucifer, gesturing down at the snakes. It was the only explanation his best friend needed. Nodding, Lucifer fiddled with his collar a little more and went inside the building.

xXx

"You've got something on your face," God said, gesturing with his free hand at his own. "Like, all of it. It's absolutely hideous - oh, wait. That's just how you really look, isn't?"

He waited for one of them to actually make a move against him. Both were just biding their time. While that was a commendable strategy, it did give him a certain degree of impatience. He took a deep breath. He just had to ignore the series of impulsive actions his brain was coming up with, and he would be able to avoid doing anything stupid.

xXx

Well, this place was fancy.

She let out an impressed whistle as she surveyed the room she had suddenly appeared in. She was honestly more than a little confused about how she had gotten here in the first place, but, hey, it was a nice place and she had been wandering around in the wilderness for what felt like an eternity. She could use a change in location - even if this wasn't what she had initially been going for when she set out last week.

And was that a throne back there? An even louder whistle left her lips. Shoot, that was fancy. She couldn't remember the last time she had seen one. Better yet, it was in a good condition. That was even rarer than the throne itself.

She peeked around the hall. It didn't look like anyone was there, and she doubted anyone would be there in the near future. Grinning with a childish glee, she darted over to the throne and promptly sprawled across it. She began to kick her legs back and forth. The ceiling was quite impressive for something that had no sort of fantastic mosaics or murals.
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:23 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

The two Luci Duo headed up to the counter to order food, leaving the Apos with their snakes.

~<**>~

"Hm, this one has a tongue on him too," she mused. "I always liked the ones with a little bit of fire. Isn't that right, Engel?"

The masked figure didn't answer her and simply drew his daggers.

~<**>~

Cornyx paused as he reached the top of his stairs, glancing back for a moment. For a moment his eyes shimmered between black and silver before he shook the momentary lapse of integrity away and the demon returned. Frost spread across the tiles as his feet touched them and left a thin, quickly-melting layer of ice showing his footprints.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

"Please don't forget, Cornyx," her voice rang in his mind. He closed his eyes and pushed it away. He could end this. All of this. The pain, and the struggle, and the constant fear that he'd had for as long as he could remember. All he had to do was listen to the instinct that had always been there.

Cornyx's expression became set as his Wrath closed over his heart once more and he pushed open the door to the throne room, stepping inside and raising his gaze up from the ground.

Miss Runi was sitting on the throne.

If he'd been holding something, it would've fallen out of his fingers in the same, utter shock that was written across his face. "M-m-miss Runi?" he asked incredulously, his pupils shifting to their more humanoid shape despite the silver hue of his irises.

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:38 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Lucifer quickly - and quietly - gave the woman behind the counter his order. A large thing of fries for him and Apophis to split, a burger, ten-piece chicken nuggets, a small coke and a bottle of milk. He reached into his pocket to pull out his wallet, not wanting to have his counterpart pay for something that he was ordering for himself.

xXx

"Engel, huh?" God repeated, trying to egg on his opponents and ultimately get them to do something stupid. He kept his bat ready. He had no idea if the holy water or nails would have much of an effect, but the brute force certainly would. "It's ironic calling you an angel when you work for a devil. Funny how the world works sometimes, isn't it?"

xXx

She sat up with a start when the sound of the doors opening finally registered, and she tried her best not to look like she had been lounging on the guy's throne. She hoped to her feet, took several large steps away and turned to see who had entered. She probably should have been able to figure it out from the fact that the guy had known her name, but, in her defense, she hadn't exactly been expecting to see Cornyx Blackthorne standing there.

"Oh, thank the gods. It's you," she said, letting out a sigh of relief. "I thought it was the person who owned this thing."

She tugged at her collar.

"I, uh, probably would have been in a lot of trouble if it was them. Like the sort of trouble that could end up with me in jail, which is something I really don't want to do again." She flashed him a grin, her sharp incisors glinting in the lighting of the room. "But can you believe this place, Cornyx? It's absolutely massive! I haven't even let the throne room let, but, let me tell you, whoever owns it has to be loaded."
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:44 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

The other Lucifer just got a couple burgers and some fries for himself and his own Apophis, payed for it, and then stepped back for the food to be made.

~<**>~

It was, admittedly, quite ironic that someone like him would have been born with such a name. His mother had expected more of him than this.

But life was what life was, and right now, it was obeying his mistress. Whether it was out of fear or sheer brokenness he honestly didn't know anymore. Either way, he was following her lead, and answering such a taunt wasn't something he'd been taught to do.

Boomslang, on the other hand, appreciated a bit of banter before going in for the kill. "It is quite ironic, truly," she agreed with God. "It's why he doesn't go by it anymore but I just think it's so lovely. Couldn't let it go."

~<**>~

He laughed a little awkwardly, still surprised and in disbelief while also trying to figure out how to tell her. "Uh, well, you weren't far off base with your first assumption," he told her, reining in the ice that had been creeping across the floor in the hopes that she wouldn't notice it, or the silvery hue of is gaze.

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:59 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

He awkwardly waited beside his counterpart, desperately wishing that he could get along with him as well as Apophis was with his.

xXx

He hesitated, surprised that she had been so eager to join in on his taunt. He knew that showing any sign of weakness was far from a good move when dealing with people like this, but it was hard not to pause for a second and try his best to understand why she'd be so eager to knock her subordinate down a peg.

"So what name do you go by, then? It can't possibly be as wonderful as your real one, Angel," he said. He took a step in the direction of Mikael's unconscious body. He honestly wasn't expecting to get very far, but the move would be enough to prompt his opponents into attacking him.

xXx

She did notice, but she didn't comment on it - after all, she was a demon, too, and she was always down for Cornyx expressing his demonic potential. There was also the matter of what he had just said to her, which was a completely different can of worms. She tried to put her attention there instead of on the disappearing ice.

And it only took her a short time to figure out what he had meant.

Her jaw dropped. "This is your throne!?" She gave an impressed whistle, then immediately started heading towards her friend. "Wow, Cornyx! You're really doing good these days. A throne, a new outfit, being more comfortable with your powers - man, I'm so happy for you!"
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:06 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

It was a good five minutes of awkward silence before the food came, but they were saved upon their return to the Apophises.

~<**>~

Kratzer didn't answer; he'd learned not to engage in such games long ago, a lesson he'd been taught by the very mistress he served now. He maneuvered directly between Dean and Mikael, his stance balanced and ready to defend the angel.

"Ah, Engel, where is that fire?" she sighed. "Well, I suppose we've got this one to do the talking now." Her malicious gaze fell on Dean. "For a time, anyways...but I have a feeling it'll take a long time to break him."

~<**>~

He smiled a little, looking down. "Uh, thank you, Miss Runi," he replied, unsure how to tell her the truth of things and, if he was honest, a little unwilling.

he/him/his

You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote