The Bizarre Friendship of James and Maahes

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:48 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James

James knew what Maahes was saying was supposed to be comforting and should have been comforting. He should have been appreciative that Maahes was a very perceptive friend, and was able to tell what was going on. But as Maahes seemed to dismantle the basis of his spiral into self-hatred it only made him more uncomfortable, and ashamed for feeling it in the first place. Only to feel ashamed that he was feeling ashamed about how he was feeling. It was a vicious cycle.

He mustered up the weakest of grins, but it quickly faded as Maahes shared his own tragedy. Putting a hand on Maahes's back, he looked down, still avoiding eye contact.

"I'm so sorry," he said, choosing not to ask why Maahes felt the need to censor the 10,000 years and generalize them. It probably had to do with the crew, or something.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:36 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

"It's alright," he said. He gave James a weak smile of his own, though his friend's had already faded by now. "I've had awhile to deal with the loss. I'll never be entirely over it, but, well..." He looked over in the direction of his team, then back at James. It had been hard dealing with that loss when he was alone. But even though most of the people he was close to didn't know that part of his past, it helped just to have company. To have SG-1. To have James. To have Annie, wherever she was in the universe.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:05 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James

"It's never something you get over," James said softly. "But that's okay."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:21 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

"Yeah," he quietly agreed. He understood loss all too well; the deaths of the members of the rebellion were simply a handful among many. There was Odris. There were Annie and her people. There were the Alterans he had met as a child, now only glimpses in his memory. There was Jackie, too, with that big childish grin on his face - while Jackie might not have died, Maahes had left him. He wished he could see where that boy was now.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:43 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James

James nodded slowly, falling into a solemn silence as he too dwelt on those he'd lost. Flashes of violent images leapt to the front of his memory - his father, getting torn apart. Amy, covered in blood. He closed his eyes for a moment, failing to clear them from his mind's eye, but chose to keep his eyes open.

His gaze drifted onto Cam and his crew. Timidly, he whispered a question as his hands clasped together in front of him. "Would it be childish of me to say I don't want you to return home? At least - not yet."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:00 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He shook his head, his gaze momentarily lingering on the rest of SG-1 before returning to James.

"No," he softly whispered back. "I-I don't want to go yet, either. I know my team understands me now, but you're one of the people who knows the most about who I am. Vala knows who I am, and Annie - wherever she is - knows, too, but not in the way that you do. You've seen me grow up, and you understand what I've been through. It feels comforting to be around you."

He wanted to propose some remedy to the situation, but there was nothing that came to mind. He had no technology on hand that could easily transport him between his reality and Nye, and the closest he had was the device that had brought him and his team here. But even though they had found a way to Nye, it didn't mean he could easily find James if he used it again.

And then an idea came to him.

Unless he found Annie, it wouldn't work. But if he did find Annie, and he worked out some sort of system with her so he got a decent amount of time back in the Other Place, then maybe, just maybe, it would work.

"James," he slowly said, "what if I taught you how to summon me?"
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:10 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James

James's eyes widened as the realization hit him. Maahes had explained to him in brief how summoning worked, or at least, what it accomplished. His brows drew together, and he found himself looking back and forth between Maahes and the group before his gaze finally stopped on Maahes.

"Is that... can that work? Would you want me to summon you? I thought - well - I don't know really what I know for sure. Summoning doesn't affect you negatively at all? I know you said your summoner could exercise a certain amount of power over you? Is that a rule? If I remember correctly? I wouldn't... I wouldn't want to..." he found himself stuttering himself into an incomplete thought. He couldn't find words to express the emotions he wanted to convey, but he hoped Maahes understood.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:38 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

Even though James had started to stutter, Maahes understood his concern. "It does hurt being here like this," he admitted, "like I told you back when it was just the two of us. But it's something I've come to accept as being a part of leaving my home, and as long as we figure out the right way to word the charge, we could make it so the only thing you can do is dismiss when we decided it's time to say goodbye."

He paused.

After a moment of hesitation, he added, "We...We wouldn't be able to meet like that until I find Annie, and I'm not sure how long that'll be. But once I find her, she'll dismiss again, and then you can summon me whenever you want to see me. It might take a couple of tries if other..." He looked over at Vala, face turning bright red at the prospect of them being something else and close enough that she'd want to summon him when this was all over. "...if other people are summoning me at the time you try it, but it should work eventually."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:06 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James

James slowly nodded. "Is it... simple? To summon you? Do I need something in particular to do it?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:35 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

"I think it depends?" Maahes hesitantly answered. He had never had to teach someone how to summon him before; he knew the basics of summoning from going over it with Odris as a child and Annie in much more recent years, but they had both had books of some sort to guide them. He just had his memory to go off of. "Uh, most of the time you need a pentacle for you to stand in and one for the spirit you're summoning to stand in, but you might just need one for me because your pentacle would have been for protection against me. You'd need to know the summoning words, but I don't think you'd need the protective clauses, either."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:44 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James

James nodded, not understanding most of the words, but hoping he would understand more as Maahes went on. "Alright, so uh... will you show me? Then?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:19 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He started to nod, then paused. "We're going to need some chalk and something for me to draw on," he realized. They could try going back into town to get the chalk he needed, but that still didn't solve the problem of where he was going to write.

They would also need his team to finish talking so they didn't get separated, but he was terrified of what would happen if he intruded too soon.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:15 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James

James bit his lip and quietly looked down at the ground. Chalk was hard to come by, and he didn't think there would be anything large enough to draw on nearby for what Maahes seemed to be describing. He let out a quiet, discouraged sigh.

Maybe it wasn't meant to be. If he ever did need Maahes or desire to summon him, it was already sounding like it would be harder than simply chanting some incantation.

"I don't know if we could find chalk," he said quietly. "Does it have to be chalk?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:39 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He shook his head, casting a brief glance in the direction of the rest of SG-1. They looked like they were almost done with their conversation. What the outcome was, Maahes couldn't tell, but he tried to focus on his conversation with James to get his mind off of the possibility that it had gone horribly.

"It doesn't have to be chalk," he said. "It just needs to be something that you can use to draw...we might be able to make it work with a stick and a clear area of dirt?"
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:01 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James

A look of relief passed over him and he grinned up at Maahes. "Really? That should be easy enough. Once we get further into the forest I'm sure we'll run into a place that's less dense with wildlife, and if we have to, we can always clear away some plants."

"Sometimes even shooting stars find wishes that miss their marks."
— TryHardNinja