Bo and Maahes: The Dynamic Duo

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:02 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo

Bo blinked a few times as he watched Maahes pull his hand away. He couldn't quite put a pin in it but something about his behavior was... odd. He was accustomed to meeting people who didn't like getting help, or just tried to brush off injuries like they were no big deal, so that wasn't it. It was more about the awkward pause, and the intentional though he could see going on in Maahes's head before he pulled his hand away.

Bo just gave Maahes a little pat on the shoulder.

"Well, we're getting close, so we can have that healed up real quick anyway. So no worries."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:06 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

The thought made him very worried, but he mustered a smile that just barely reached his eyes as he looked over at Bo. "I can't wait," he said, wisely trying to change the subject.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:02 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo

Bo nodded. "So, just a heads up. It's below-ground. And the way you get there is uh... unconventional. There's no door. But Mickey'll makes a door. Sorta. It's... well it's like you're sucked into the ground and then you pop up in a room. It's quick though, but just thought you should know that'll happen in a moment or so."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:28 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He looked over at Bo. "But then how does he know that you're there-"

He was cut off by his own startled cry when exactly what Bo had said would happen happened - he suddenly was jerked downwards with a force and a speed he didn't even know was possible. It felt like he was falling, but, at the same time, like the action was being controlled. Which was a combination he didn't like in the slightest, especially when he thought of all the horrible ways that it could end.

Namely him become a Maahes pancake on the ground below.

But then he slowed down, and, when his feet finally touched the ground, it wasn't a jarring impact - it was so gentle that it didn't even hurt.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:10 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo

As the walls of dirt around them lifted like a curtain, the room around them was unveiled. It was a large library, with vaulted ceilings and intricate carvings patterning the supports along the walls. The room looked like it was made out of marble, with lamps lining the room, illuminating the soft white coloring that contrasted against the tall wooden bookshelves full of aged documents. At the peak of the room's ceiling, there hung a beautiful lamp that filled most of the room with light.

They were standing in the center of the room, where it was more open, and instead of lines of shelves, there were a few sitting tables with various books laid out, as if people had finished them halfway through and left them, or were still reading them.

Bo looked over to Maahes, seeing the familiar look of shock on his face that most all of their new mages wore when experiencing their odd form of transportation to their secret guild. He wore a smug, slightly amused little grin, despite himself.

In front of them stood an older man, with dark, tanned skin and wrinkles around his eyes. He wore two greying black braids that rested on his shoulders, and was considerably shorter than Bo and Maahes. The old man appeared to have a mellow, peaceful countenance, and gave Bo and his new acquaintance a friendly nod of the head in greeting, along with a smile.

"Hello Bo," he said, before looking to Maahes. "I'm Mickey. And who might you be?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:26 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

"I'm Leo," he said, eyes wide as he took in the absolutely beautiful sight before him. He rarely saw this many books when visiting another world! To think that they would be books that he had never read before - brand new stories for him to devour, brand new histories for him to learn - made him absolutely giddy with joy.

But he managed to reel it back, because he didn't even know if he would be allowed in the library in the first place. "It's short for Leonardo Cartwright."

I wonder what type of system they use to categorize it? Does it function like a library back on Earth? What if I don't get to finish one of the books because I suddenly find a way home? Do I want to put myself through that torture? Would I ask to take the book with me and return it later on, or do I just suffer-

He dismissed the thoughts and looked back at Mickey. "This is a really beautiful library," he managed to get out. "I haven't seen one like it in a long time."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:20 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo

Mickey smiled, looking back at the library, though with the familiarity of someone who'd seen it countless times before.

"Well, I'm glad you think so," he said.

Bo lightly elbowed Leo in the side. "He made this whole place by the way. Man's a master mage," he half-whispered. Mickey just closed his eyes in a small grin and laughed lightly.

"Well, it's good to have you here, Leo," Mickey said, ignoring Bo's comment, while Bo smiled proudly on his behalf. "I assume you're a mage yourself of some sort?" He tilted his head. "Though I... sense there's something a bit different about you, is there not?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:19 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He would be lying if he didn't admit to himself that he was jealous of how close Mickey and Bo apparently were, but he wasn't going to focus on that. Not right now, anyways. He could always think about what he lacked later on. So he kept a smile on his face - just think of the books, he reminded himself, because that always made him smile even when it inevitably made him think of Jackie - and replied to what Mickey had said.

"There is," he confirmed. "I, uh, actually came from another world. I was looking at some old ruins when I was visiting the people who lived on that planet, but then I suddenly found myself here instead."

He hoped that Mickey somehow hadn't figured out the truth about him. It wasn't just that he was from another world; he was from an entirely different dimension. And Mickey seemed like the type that would be able to realize that he wasn't human, even though he knew practically nothing about the extent of his magic.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:45 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Mickey raised his brows and nodded.

"Oh, I see," he commented. "Then it sounds quite fateful that you found yourself here... that is, if you believe in more than chance." He smiled, and gestured to the rest of the library and began to walk towards one of the many rows of shelves.

"If our library so interests you, would you like to take a look around? I'd be more than happy to show you to whatever books you'd like. If you're from another world or another universe entirely, then I'm sure there's much you don't know, and you seem hungry for knowledge and understanding. And only a fool would deny you such things," he said with a small chuckle, gesturing to himself. "And, well, I'd like to say I'm not one, if but in one area of my life."

Bo and Mickey looked expectantly to Maahes for his reply, Bo content with being quiet and letting his leader and mentor carry the conversation.

"So, how 'bout it?" Mickey asked.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:04 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

His face immediately lit up at what Mickey offered. While he doubted he would find any clues on how to return back to the planet he had been on, it was always good to learn about the cultures of the planets he was visiting. While this visit was definitely unconventional, the same sort of ideology still stood.

"I'd love to look around," he said, scanning the shelves with excitement and curiosity in his eyes. "I was a librarian in the past, so I'm always happy to explore new libraries. And books are always a good way to learn more about the culture of the people I'm visiting."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:51 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"Well, you're lucky to have happened here, then," Mickey replied. "This is likely the only library with an abundance of authentic literature that actually tells our world's true history. Above-ground, most people only know the version they've been spoon-fed by human kings and world leaders. Though that is, of course, largely exclusive to humans. Though I'd say most ogres and werewolves are in the dark as well. Harpies and goblins are more on the same page."

"Yeah," Bo piped in. "I mean, you wouldn't know this, but like, magic is outlawed in all human realms up above, so we're actually like, a secret guild of mages."

"That's certainly one way to put it," Mickey added with a little smirk.

"Pff, that is how we put it," Bo said with a smile, looking to Leo. "We literally call ourselves the Underground Guild. As in secret but also literally, haha."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:46 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

His eyes widened in surprise. "Your world has ogres? And werewolves? And harpies? And goblins?" He looked around the room, then back at Mickey and Bo. "I-I wouldn't be able to meet them, would I? Because I've never thought a world would actually have them, and I bet their cultures are incredibly interesting-"

Then the second part of what they had said registered, which immediately dampened his mood. No wonder Bo had been so frightened when he had mentioned the Magi Venatores. He would have been, too, if he had known that magic was outlawed.

Which brought up an important question.

"Why is magic outlawed?"
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:27 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Mickey and Bo both looked at each other with little grins as Leo spouted all of the questions, but Bo's smile faded at the last one.

"O-oh, yeah, huh. You don't know about that stuff yeah?" His hand went up to rub the back of his neck. "'S funny, we've never really had to explain it to people before," he answered.

"The short answer would be that there was a worldwide magical calamity that really put the fear of magic in most humans. There were some influential figures involved that shaped most of humankind's perception of the events that brought the world to where it is today - with magic being outlawed," Mickey explained in brief. "It was... a very tragic time, for all beings in the world."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:43 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

The thought of a magical calamity - a worldwide one - made his essence twist and turn in discomfort. Magic was ultimately a tool, if he thought about it. Tools could be used for good or bad. It just depended on who was using it, and what knowledge they had of the tool's uses. But it was still hard to shake the feeling that the magic he had could create catastrophic things like that, because he knew that it could. It wasn't a matter of being anxious about something that didn't exist. He could tear rifts in reality. Create flames that disintegrated his enemies before they had a chance to try snuffing them out.

That was his magic's true nature. The flames that Bo had seen were just a little taste, just a little hint of what he was actually capable of. And the thought of accidentally releasing his other magic and creating a new calamity made him absolutely terrified.

"I-I've always hidden my magic for a different reason," he said, trying to shake that nightmare from his mind. "I interact with people who believe that science is key to understanding the inner workings of the universe. Magic doesn't exist for them, and, if people did learn the truth about me, some might even worship me as a god. Which I never want to happen."

Again, he added to himself, because it had happened years and years and years ago, back in Ancient Egypt when he was forced to serve under Ra. And there was more to the story than he was letting on - he had to pretend to be a human, or someone would get wise and realize that Maahes the Goa'uld was the same as Leonardo Cartwright the traveler.

"The only person who knows - knew - the full truth about magic was my best friend Annie," he said. She had been the one to summon him and they were the closest of friends, so of course she had known everything about him.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:53 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo looked down at Leo with a soft expression of understanding.

"Oh shoot, man... does that mean we're like, the second people to know? I mean, I don't know exactly how it's been for you, but I can tell you, that both of us, and pretty much everyone here in this place knows the pain of having to keep that kind of part of yourself a secret. It's real, man."

Being a hero doesn't mean you're invincible. It just means that you're brave enough to stand up and do what's needed.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena