Bo and Maahes: The Dynamic Duo

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:23 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He rubbed the back of his neck, awkwardly looking away as he tried to think of a better way to explain the situation. "The place I was at didn't have forests," he hesitantly said, then immediately regretted it moments later. That wouldn't help in the slightest. This man was convinced that he was from the desert on his world.

He took a deep breath and started again.

"I was on another world," he said. Go big or go broke seemed to be the best approach here. "It was a world that didn't have anything but deserts. No matter how far you walked, you wouldn't be able to find forests like the one right here."
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:26 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo

Both of Bo's eyebrows raised this time and a small grin grew on his face.

"Oh! So a different planet? Woah! That's wild!"
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:40 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He let out a sigh of relief. Maybe things weren't so hopeless after all! The possibility of them having interstellar travel was rare, but knowing that at least the man before him had some knowledge of other planets made him hopeful that there was some chance of him returning to the other world in the near future.

"Yeah," he agreed, "it can sound pretty strange to someone who hasn't traveled to them a lot."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:11 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo

"I didn't know you could travel to them, but I suppose that it's possible. I know there are crazier things that've happened. But to be honest, if you were talking to anyone but me, they'd probably think you were crazy," he said, flipping down his hood to reveal his scarred face. He looked serious for a moment, but his eye and his face lit up when he smiled. "But I guess you're lucky that it's me!" He held out a hand to shake. "I'm Bo. Nice to meet you."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:05 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He would be lying if told himself he wasn't terrified the second that followed the man removing his hood; the combination of his height and facial features was downright terrifying. But his personality quickly made up for it, and Maahes found himself eagerly reaching his own hand out.

"I'm Leo," he said. The alias easily rolled off of his tongue. A smile beginning to spread across his face, he shook Bo's extended hand. "It's short for Leonardo Cartwright."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:24 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo

Bo gave Leo a firm handshake. "Well hello there, Leo. I can't say I've ever met someone from another world. So this is a first! Nice to meet you."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:33 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

When their handshake concluded soon after Bo's comment, he withdrew his hand and let it hang at his side. Bo really did seem like a nice person, though he still hadn't figured out why he was out here alone in the first place. He didn't look like a traveler; he lacked the necessary equipment for it. But he didn't see any sign of a town in a distance, which made things even more confusing.

Still, he had other matters to worry about. He had to figure how he had gotten here, and he had to figure out how to get back. His one clue was the people he had been with prior to his exploration of the ruins. They had once said that their name came from the people who had come before them. Maybe, just maybe, Bo had heard of them on this world? It was a stretch at best, but it was also the only real clue he had. If they had some sort of presence here, he could either ask their descendants or consult their ruins to figure out why they were there in the first place.

He slipped his hand inside his pocket and began to finger the device again, almost absentmindedly as he desperately hoped Bo would provide him with the answer he needed.

"Have you heard of the Magi Venatores? You might know them better as..." His Latin was rusty and the phrase wasn't commonly used in Ancient Rome. But, after a moment of thinking, he got it. "...the Mage Hunters."

He fell silent. Was that right? It was an odd choice of name for a civilization of people, but, then again, he was technically called everything from a demon to a spirit to a djinni. Could he really judge a group of people when his kind had a complicated relationship with the modern language?
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:09 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo

Bo's smile faded at Magi out of confusion, but as soon as mage hunters left Maahes's lips, any hint of friendliness had completely vanished off his face.

He knew who the mage hunters were. They were the ones who hunted and killed people who used magic. If they were anywhere near here, he had to get rid of them fast. But he couldn't be entirely sure just yet. Mage hunters were typically clever enough not to name drop in front of a potential mage, especially if they had any leads that some had been seen in the area. But this could be a reverse scare tactic to get a reaction from him. He had no real way of knowing - because now he had to question whether Leo's original story was true. Was he really from another world? Was Leo lying? Bluffing? And if he was lying, why would he come up with such a far fetched story like that when there were so many other better alternatives?

But if Leo was with the mage hunters at all, it was not good. Especially since Bo noticed that Leo was reaching into his pocket for something.

Bo put on a neutral face, and shrugged. The look on his face he'd made when Maahes first said the words might've given him away, but he didn't want to jump to conclusions just yet.

"I don't think I've heard of them," he lied.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:49 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He stopped fingering the device.

Bo's entire demeanor had changed at the mention of the Magi Venatores. He may have tried to hide his reaction to the name behind a neutral face, but that in itself was telling. He knew exactly what Maahes was talking about. If he hadn't, he would have likely brushed off the comment with a smile and an apology for his lack of knowledge. He might not have known Bo for that long, but he knew how people like Bo worked - mainly because Bo reminded him of himself.

In most cases, he would have treaded carefully. He would have gently tried to convince Bo to tell him the information he had, even if it took days to get him to trust him. But he didn't have that time for this. He needed to get back to the planet and then back to home in less than a month. While that might have seemed like a long period of time, he had been in situations similar to this before. It was hard for this sort of problem to resolve itself quickly.

And he wasn't going to miss the anniversary.

Even just the thought of it made him feel absolutely horrible. Someone needed to be there for all of them. Someone had to put the flowers on their grave, and someone had to be there to honor them in the way that the rest of their people would have. He was the only one who could fill that role.

"You must have," he insisted, taking a step forward. He kept his hand in his pocket. His fingers traced the handle of his zat'nik'tel. It was something he didn't want to use unless he absolutely had to, but if Bo suddenly lunged at him he wanted to be prepared.

He waited for a response.

When none came moments later, he looked into Bo's eyes. "You know exactly what I'm talking about," he said. "Your reaction gave it away."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:53 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo

So he was transparent. He knew that about himself.

Bo raised his chin, looking down at Leo with a threatening gaze. Leo wasn't making a good case for himself, and he could tell Leo was trying to get some sort of reaction out of him. It he wanted to fight, then he would.

"I wouldn't keep asking if I were you. Those are dangerous words to utter around here," he replied with his voice low.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:59 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

So now he was trying to threaten him. He should have honestly expected this outcome the moment he had started talking, but he had no other options. His grip on the zat'nik'tel tightened. He wouldn't use it until Bo made the first move. It might hurt to get knocked to the ground by someone Bo's size, but he could deal with a little pain here and there.

"I'm not exactly like the people around here," Maahes said. He took another step forward and looked up at Bo with a completely calm expression on his face. It was a miracle he could keep such a look on his face when Bo looked so intimidating; he was deeply terrified behind the mask he was putting up.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:09 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo

Bo's eyebrows raised, and for a brief moment, a glowing blue shine sparkled in his iris as he looked down at Leo's calm expression, maintaining eye contact. He wasn't sure before, but it was sounding like Leo was being vague on purpose. He knew Leo wasn't going to say he was associated with mage hunters outright, but he was tired of dancing around it. Leo was toying with him.

He stepped back, and held out his hand as if to wield a weapon, but instead caused steady streams of electricity to spark around his fingers. He formed a fist, and electrical power surged through his arm, lighting up a bright blue light within his veins.

"Then you can't stay here," he declared, striking a stance, and ready to fight.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:22 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

Maahes stumbled back in shock. He tried explaining the sight in every way he knew, but each one ultimately failed. He first thought he was dealing with another spirit. A quick check of the planes provided otherwise. Then he thought technology was at fault, but he could see the electricity coursing through Bo's veins before it reached his fingertips. Everything he knew and could depend on was falling apart.

Instincts kicked in, driving actions that he wouldn't have committed if he wasn't completely terrified. He steadied himself. Jumped back to avoid being easily hit, even though he had no idea how far an attack like that could go. And even though the sane part of him was telling him to use his zat'nik'tel and make this end quickly, the part of him controlled by fear gave him a different response.

He fired off a Detonation.

Green flames sprung to life in the area right in front of his feet, quickly spreading as he fired off a few more. He had successfully made a wall between him and Bo.

And then what he had done hit him.

He looked at the flames with wide, horrified eyes.

"Oh no," was all that he could say.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:30 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo

As soon as Leo threw a ball of fire between them, Bo froze. His eyes widened and he stared, watching the wall of fire fly upwards, with an awe-filled grin on his face. He couldn’t believe himself. Leo wasn’t one of the mage hunters. He was a mage himself! He must have been trying to test the waters, to see if he was safe!

But wait - then why had Leo been so afraid when Bo revealed that he too had magic? Bo fell out of his fighting stance and walked up to the fire casually, peering over it at Leo with a big smile.

“Oh my gosh! Dude! I’m so sorry! Don’t freak out, I’m not gonna hurt you! I thought you were a mage hunter but here you are, just a regular ‘ol mage like me!” he exclaimed. “Shoot, that’s so cool that you can just make fire like that! D’you have like matches to ignite them or like, are you able to just start them like that?” he snapped his fingers, demonstrating the idea by making his fingers spark when he snapped.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:05 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

The flames of the Detonation died down. A Detonation was meant to be a quick sort of attack; the flames produced never lasted for long. He could have maintained the wall by producing more in quick succession, but he was in too much shock at Bo's words to act in the way he might have in a normal situation.

Then again, nothing about this was normal.

"I have to be dreaming," he declared. Yeah, that had to be it. There was no other explanation for it. He took a step back and nodded to himself. "I'm going to wake up in the ruins and find out that I hit my head on something, and that this entire thing is just one really weird dream-"

He paused, looked down at himself, and then back up.

"I can't dream."

Cue the panic that logically followed a revelation like that. If he couldn't dream, that meant that this moment was very, very real. It also meant that he had disclosed more information than he should have ever disclosed - even his friends over the years had never known the truth - to a complete stranger.

So to say that he was panicked might have been just a bit of an understatement.
mage

queer and here.

Democracy! Bah! When I hear that word I reach for my feather Boa!
— Allen Ginsburg