Young Writers Society

Bo and Maahes: The Dynamic Duo

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:02 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"You might be surprised," Mickey replied calmly, before looking over to Bo. "Head over to dinner, alright? I'll stay back here."

Bo nodded, looking to Maahes with an apologetic smile before he continued down the hallway. Mickey turned back to Maahes, sighing. With a small upward gesture of his arms, suddenly the ground that they both were standing on began to move upward through the ground. It happened more slowly this time, as if the small section of hall they were in was actually an elevator. It didn't take very long for them to arrive back on the surface. The sun was setting, and they were in the middle of the forest. The quiet hum of nighttime bugs waking was the only noise apart from a weak breeze occasionally rustling leave overhead. Mickey took a step off the slab of stone, and grass and dirt began to slowly grow over it as he did so. He turned to look at Maahes.

"You can run if you want," he said softly. "But I would not wish it for you. I know confrontation is uncomfortable and scary. But I really do want to help you Maahes. I will not run from you. And I hope you can believe me when I say there are many things infinitely more terrifying than whatever you are. "
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:23 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

Maahes took a deep breath and looked at the woods around him. It would be so easy to run away now, but something held him back from doing so. He doubted it was because the place below his feet had offered a place where he could fit in. It hadn't, and never would. He doubted it was even because of Bo. He had meet many people on many planets, and had grown used to leaving them behind. It wasn't because he needed answers on how to get back home. He had always been able to do that on his own.

Maybe it was because he wanted to justify his actions - to say that Mickey couldn't possibly understand because he had never once seen someone like him before, and that he truly was terrifying. But now that he was standing in the fresh air, and now that he was no longer underground, his fear was beginning to fade. It was still going strong, but it wasn't as strong. He hadn't guessed that would play such a strong role in his emotions.

"You don't understand," Maahes said. "I'm a terrifying person. You don't know the things I've done, and you don't even know what I look like. People get scared of me. They always have, and they always will. Even the one person who knew the truth about me didn't know the full extent, and I never intentionally showed her what I looked like. The one time she-the one time she caught a glimpse of it, she had nightmares for weeks afterwards, and she wasn't a little kid anymore. She was seventeen years old."
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:40 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Mickey looked around the forest with a relaxed countenance - as if they could've been talking about anything. He took a few steps towards a tree, gently running his hand over the bark as he listened to Maahes before he looked over at him.

"I'll gloss over the exacts but - would it make you feel better... if you knew I was over 100,000 years old? I've seen... many things."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:30 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

"You're over 100,000 years old?" he repeated, his voice jumping an octave near the end. It wasn't intentional, but he couldn't help it - how could anyone possibly be that old? He looked down at himself, then back up at Mickey. He was supposed to be the oldest person he knew. And Mickey had managed to be him. Him, the spirit who had been around what had to be at least 20,000 years, but was simply too much for him to really put an exact number to it.

And it wasn't even just that Mickey was 100,000. He was over that age. He knew he should be focusing on his terror at being rejected, but he just couldn't get his mind off of Mickey's true age.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:22 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Mickey smiled, laughing slightly. "I suppose it'd be fair to call me ancient. So yes."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:24 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

Being around for as long as he had been had given him a different perspective of the world. He had always considered himself to be set apart from all the people he met no matter where he went or no matter what time in his life that he met them; the differences in ages were already yet another one of the things that made him nothing like the people he met. And, after a time, he had settled into a routine. He had spent nearly ten thousand years hiding his true nature on Earth. He had to. Otherwise, he would have been killed as a monster or truly worshiped as a god, the later being something that he would never be able to support.

Throughout all that time, only a handful of people had suspected that he was anything other than human. A few of them thought he was blessed by God or whatever deity was popular at the time. Others that fell in that category thought he was the Devil incarnate. But no matter which way they saw him, they ultimately were never able to understand what it was like to be the way he was and to live as long as he had. He had seen so many civilizations rise and fall. So many people being born and dying. So many advancements that brought them closer and closer to the Goa'uld and the Alterans.

But now there was Mickey.

Mickey couldn't understand what it was like to be a spirit. Even if he explained it as simply as possible, even if he showed his true form - which he would never do because that would only lead to him being shunned and feared even quicker than usual - Mickey would never get what it was like to live as him.

But he understood what it was like to be truly old.

And that was something that Maahes never thought he'd find in a person.

Maahes took a deep, unsteady breath. "That's older than I would have guessed," he said, his voice still trembling a bit. "You're even older than me."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:57 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Mickey smiled and nodded. "... I did have a feeling you were at least somewhere over 10,000. There's just something about the way a person carries themselves - or rather, the few ways people can go about carrying themselves when they reach that point in old age. They either grow more bitter and more cynical; they grow more distant and detached from reality; or they somehow, by some miracle, they're dragged along, grasping onto a hope unseen with a vice-like grip, because they refuse to lose their hearts to the offense and let their love die. It's... well, suffice to say, to come out of thousands upon thousands of years of hardship... there's naturally a light from a life like that cannot be hidden. And like any other ancient being, I'm sure you still have pains that cut deep. Pains and innocence irreparable, from which you will never recover. But Maahes... if you have emerged from the abundance of trials you've faced with a heart as tender as your own, you must've done something right. And while your life is surely far from over, I think you can say you've succeeded."

"But... I want to set before you an opportunity. And an opportunity to grow more. To let your heart expand in a different way."

Mickey paused, looking down to the ground for a moment, before he returned his gaze to Maahes, meeting his eyes.

"I am willing to fight for you Maahes. Whatever it takes to help you. Whatever it is you need to live. To see you step into your true identity, with no hiding, and no shame. Not as a stranger, or someone holding you accountable to yourself but... as a family. As a father. We are not the same, and we never will be. We are both beautiful and different and diverse in our own ways. But we are both alive. And we are both people. And I am for you."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:33 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He thought over what Mickey said for a few minutes, arms nervously crossed and face in contemplation.

"I don't think we'll get to a point where you can see my true form," Maahes hesitantly said, sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck as he spoke. "It's, uh, kind of the big side, and I've never shown it for more than a few seconds before, so I'm not sure how if I could even move like it."

He let his arms hang down at his side and took a deep, deep breath.

"But I think I want to stay here, at least until I figure out a way to get back home," he decided.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:56 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Mickey waited patiently for Maahes's reply, and simply nodded. "I understand," he said quietly. "Then we will do our best to help you get home. Until then - you want us to keep your true age and identity a secret still?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:17 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He was silent for another minute, trying to figure out what was the best possible option. Mickey knew. That much was obvious. Bo probably knew, too, or at least had some inkling based on the conversation he had been a part of back in the base. And then there was all the other people living in the base - the people he hadn't met yet, and the ones he couldn't easily judge because he only knew that they had magic.

But if the base really was home to those who didn't fit in, and its leader had accepted him, didn't that mean that the others would be like that, too?

"I think I'm alright with letting other people know that," he said, his voice also quiet.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:05 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"Alright. I'll let you tell people when it comes up, how about that? I think it'd be... odd to make an announcement of such a thing. We don't announce when someone's a werewolf or anything, so, I'll let you tell people when you want to tell people, and if it someone asks me, I'll tell them. Sound good?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:41 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He nodded. "That sounds good to me."

After a moment of hesitation, he added, "And, if you're not offended, I don't think I'll eat at dinner tonight." He didn't want to go into too much detail, but realized he had to if he wanted to avoid sounding rude. "I can't eat normal food - it makes my essence feel horrible afterwards. I'll still be there, if you want me to be there, but if I'm going to be myself, I think I'll start with that."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:24 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Mickey smiled. "I'm not offended at all. You don't have to eat anything you don't want to. But I would still love it if you were to join us. I would hate to isolate you, especially after such a confrontation."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:29 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He returned the smile.

"I'd still like to be there," he answered. "I don't mind being at things like that. I just didn't want you to be offended if I, uh, didn't eat the food..."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:20 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"Of course!" Mickey laughed. "It's certainly easier on our cooks than when ogres visit. Ogres eat enough for ten people!"

i got called an enigma once so now i purposefully act obtuse
— chikara