Young Writers Society

The Mustache and The Beard

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:19 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James nodded slowly, looking back out towards the creek. "True. Amy is... well, she's more Ari's friend than mine, as far as intimacy goes. All she knows of me is what most people know, and that's the surface. Ari... well, we have history. He's not the sharpest, and sometimes I'm afraid he's made me out to be more of a hero than a man or a brother, but he's a rare one among many who probably knows more of my true nature than... than most."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:23 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"There's a lot you can say about Ardeshir Ellonhav but when all is said and done, he's got a good heart and he'll die for you. I think you're the closest thing the lad's got to family. Not that I know him all that well, but...I get that sense. Where'd he come from, anyways? I know he was wanted for helping out some thief and the charges got stacked on after that once he wandered into the outlands but that's about it."
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:26 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"He's from the Western Isles. He's got some family up there - at least a mother and father I know of - but I don't think he's had contact with them since he was issued a warrant for his arrest."

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:28 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Ah. Explains the accent. How'd you two meet, out here? This is going to come out wrong, but...he doesn't seem like the type to fall in with you."

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:31 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"No that's - that's fair. We uh - we got caught by a group of bounty hunters. There were five of us total. We worked together to escape, but we traveled together for a while afterward. It sort of just... happened."

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:33 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

She nodded. "I heard something about that. I even considered getting involved but didn't want to bite off more than I could chew, and I make it a policy to go after no more than two bounties simultaneously and never work with hunter partners. They have an awful tendency to betray for coin." She paused for several moments, gazing at the creek. "Either way, seems like you got tight with them. Why'd you leave?"

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:42 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James released a weak, breathy laugh as he stared down into the water.

"I... well. It- it just felt right, I guess. I knew I'd have to say goodbye eventually. Most of them had happier lives within reach. Not without their struggles, still, but, well... it would've been worlds easier without me. And it was." Because at the root of it, Rosaleen was right. He should never have stayed with them in the first place.

"I'm fully aware of how two-faced that sounds in light of other things I've said, but I know in my life, none of my friendships are forever. At least, not in a way that I'll be with them 'til the end of my days."

He shrugged. "Old habits die hard."

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:48 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"So, you left because you didn't want to hold them back or make things harder or put them in danger?" she clarified, raising an eyebrow.

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:56 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James blinked. "Yyyes..."

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:57 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Just for the sake of the argument, if, say, Ari was going off to a better life, why in the world did he end up right back in the Outlands? And do you seriously believe he's going to survive better on his own? Have you met him, James Hawke?"

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:04 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"Well, when I left him, he was in - so I thought- capable hands. How he got out of them... I've yet to hear that story."

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:08 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"That's not the point, James. The point is that he's better off with you than without you. You're neither a hindrance nor a danger - not more than he already faces, anyways. Why would you turn a friendship like that into something temporary when it's obviously beneficial to both of you?"

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:52 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James stared blankly off into the waters. Apprehension rose up within him, and his fingers nervously twitched.

It was a fair question and one that he'd asked himself countless times.

"Selfish reasons," he said quietly, with his chest tightening and his jaw stiffening. "Avoiding getting hurt. Avoiding being known. Some... shit like that."

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:58 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

That was the moment she knew that she'd just stepped a bit too far. She probably should've guessed that was coming before she'd even asked, and if she'd spent enough time to think about it before inquiring, maybe it would've been obvious. It most certainly would've been were she in a better state of mind.

Didn't matter now; the damage was done.

Tasha let out a long breath and gazed down to the creek. "That's fair enough," she said softly, nodding. "Stupid, maybe...gods, I know...but fair."

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:04 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James let out a quiet sigh through his nose and leaned forward, crossing his arms over his knees, and resting his chin on his arms.

"I guess we really do have a lot in common," he whispered. Unless she was different. Maybe she was.

It's been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable.
— Mr Collins, Pride and Prejudice