Young Writers Society

The Mustache and The Beard

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:11 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Ari pushed himself to his feet. "I've jumped through windows on worse," he winked. It was true - when all this had started he'd had to escape through a window with Lynx while he had an arrow in his back. Luckily it hadn't been lethal, he was a heavily-built individual so it didn't do as much damage as it could've, but it was still worse than a mostly-healed dagger wound in his side.

Like any gentleman, the islander gestured for Amy to go first, glancing back towards the door as it shuddered again.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:13 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Amy couldn't help but grin. "Oh, haha," she laughed quietly to herself before she hurried to the window. James rushed her through with a wave of his arm.

"Go!" he hissed. Amy nodded, hopping out onto the roof that angled down towards the ground. She let herself slide a little, before steadying herself at the edge of the roof and then hopping off, shifting again to her wolven form before landing with a roll to the ground and hopping on her feet.

James waved Ari over.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:54 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

He ran and dove through without any kind of ceremony or hesitation, rolling as he hit the ground and scrambling back to his feet with haste.

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:29 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James followed after, gracefully leaping out the window, sliding down the roof, and landing on the ground. Amy started to hurry away but hesitated when she looked back to see James hesitating. It was only a second of pause, but enough to amplify the tension.

"I'm going back for Tasha," James said sharply. "Ari, get Amy away. Get her safe. We'll meet you at the river north of here. Outside of Gardey. You know where that is, right?"

Spoiler! :
Gardey's just some made up town lol

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:52 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Spoiler! :
I love it

"Aye, James," Ari nodded and turned to Amy, gesturing for her to follow and breaking into a run.

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:46 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Amy hurried off after Ari, even though she felt like James was being... kind of dumb. Tasha wasn't their friend. It hadn't even been a full day since Tasha tried to kill her - but she had no time to argue. So she ran.

James turned back to the building, his mind scrambling as he tried to figure out where she would be on the first floor. There were rooms that they normally used to take care of the wounded, so he beelined towards the outer windows, peeking inside them from the lower corners, staying close to the ground. He could hear the crash of the thieves above finally breaking through the barricade, followed by a ruckus of shouting and yelling that carried out the open window that they'd escaped from. He knew his time was short.

But finally, he spotted her, on a bed, with only Itha on guard.

With a quick movement, he grabbed a rock off the ground, backed up, and threw the rock at the window, shattering the glass. As he hurried to the window to jump in, he was surprised that the rock had hit Itha in the head, leaving her on the ground, knocked out. Cursing under his breath, he hurried up to her, checking her pulse and the cut on her head to make sure it wasn't fatal.

He let out a quick sigh of relief when he saw there wasn't a lot of blood, and she was still breathing just fine. He hopped to his feet and turned to Tasha, looking down at the bandages around her waist.

"I'm assuming you can't walk," he said, pausing as he heard yelling and the sound of footsteps rushing past the closed door. He muttered another curse under his breath. "Okay look, if you wanna get out of here I'm going to have to carry you," he said, hurrying over and reaching behind her back. "I'm sorry."

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:01 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Tasha was shocked when the rock came flying through the window and hit Itha in the head, and the surprise only increased when she saw James hopping through the window.

James. Coming back, after he'd escaped, for her. For a hunter who'd tried to kill his friend and who he barely knew. The surprise quickly gave way to sheer indignation as he picked her up - but she didn't resist. As much as she hated to compromise her pride to let him offer such assistance she recognized the fact that she was in a very bad place at the moment, and was quite unpopular - she was likely to get hurt or killed if she stayed and she couldn't even fight it as injured as she was.

Torn between her grudging gratitude and her frustration at having to swallow her pride in such a manner, she was unable to find a very prompt reply, and so simply complied.

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:20 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

If James was grateful for anything, it was that at least, when living with the thieves and Rita, he'd been able to stay strong enough that picking up Tasha wasn't too difficult a feat. Were he in between identities, or recovering after a run-in with a bounty hunter, he wouldn't have been able to pull an escape like this off.

He steadied her in his arms with an arm under her legs and one supporting her back, using a table by the window as a stepping stone before he carefully carried her out. As soon as he got to his feet again, he heard the door from inside the room burst open. He didn't bother looking back as he began to run - first out of the sight of the window, then into the forest. Naturally, he wasn't able to run half as fast as he would without a person in his arms, but the adrenaline helped to push him further.

Yet, he had to be more careful with Tasha than he would have been with himself. He avoided running through thick patches of plant life and lifted and lowered her to keep stray branches from hitting her. But after a few minutes passed, his adrenaline had run dry, and his arms began to ache. He couldn't hear the sound of anyone pursuing them in the quiet of the nighttime forest, and he was exhausted. He slowed, and laid Tasha down gently in a patch of moss on the forest floor. Then he collapsed to his knees beside her.

"Are you -" he started, between labored breaths. "Bleeding?" Another breath. "Do you - inhale - need to - inhale - look at it?"

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:27 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"I'm fine," she grunted, though from the look on her face and the pasty-white hue of her skin she definitely wasn't. Whether it was from pain or blood loss it was hard to tell.

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:00 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James frowned, looking at the reddened bandages around her waist. Of course she wasn't fine. She was recovering from a bullet wound.

With a sigh, he tore off the sleeve of his shirt at the seams, and ripped it length-wise almost entirely, leaving just an inch of fabric where it still connected, so he could stretch out the fabric longer and make the most of it. She needed pressure to stop the bleeding.

"Yeah, and so am I," he muttered before he began to carefully wrap it around her, tying it just a little tight around the wound.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:03 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

She winced and inhaled sharply as he bound the injury but held still. It was evident from her hardened countenance and tension that it hurt, but she was no stranger to pain, and she'd known worse.

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:08 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

“Okay,” James said quietly, knotting off the bandage and pulling away. “I don’t think I can do much more at the moment,” he continued, still somewhat breathless. “Just... rest for a bit. Sleep if you want. I can wake you when we get moving again. I don’t know how soon they’ll come after me again but I don’t want to risk it.”

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:11 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

She nodded silently. She didn't like being a sitting duck but she didn't have much choice in the matter. She couldn't even fight, and even if she did, she'd didn't have her sword.

Her sword.

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:23 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James sighed, leaning back onto his arms. He wasn’t looking forward to more running around in the night carrying Tasha around, but it just was what it was.

“Tell me if - if you need anything,” he said quietly.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:33 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

She just nodded once.