z

Young Writers Society

The Last Man Standing: Companions Thread

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:21 pm
Tenyo says...

The LMS Companions Thread

If you've stumbled across this and are curious what LMS is, you can find out here.

Here is where you can team up with other writers to exchange reviews or just cheer each other on. Below are a few questions to help get you started. Post your own and take a look at who else is around.

1) I usually like to read... (Genre, themes, character types, pace, depth, e.c.t)

2) I usually like to write... (As above)

3) My work will most likely be for... (Everyone, younger, older, 18+, e.c.t)

4) It might contain... (contraversial topics, swearing, graphic scenes, e.c.t)

5) The kind of feedback I enjoy giving is... (general feedback, nitpicking and grammar, plot guidance, fluff reviews and encouragement, e.c.t)

6) The kind of feedback I prefer to recieve is... (As above)
We were born to be amazing.

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:38 pm
View Likes
Apricity says...

1) I usually like to read novels and short stories, but for the sake of this contest. Poetry.

2) I usually like to write non-fiction and poetry, staying away from fiction at the moment because it scares me.

3) My work will most likely be for everyone from 15-21, I know weirdly specific.

4) It might contain some swearing, some 18+ content

5) The kind of feedback I enjoy giving is constructive feedback on plot and character (prose), rhythm, overall coherence of piece and things I'm forgetting. (poetry). I'm usually truthful with my reviews, with minimal sugar coating.

6) The kind of feedback I prefer to receive ^ basically what I offer to others, I want the same back. c:
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:31 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

1) I usually like to read...fiction (but I'm picky about mystery and don't care for romance), with the occasional nonfiction and even more occasional poetry. Whimsy and humor a plus. Also adorable characters that I can squee over, anti-heroes, strong females and awesome female friendships, and sassy or sympathetic villains (or both).

2) I usually like to write...fiction, with the occasional poetry. Whimsy and humor a plus, but I don't think I'm particularly good at it. Also I gravitate toward brooding male characters for some reason, but I've been writing more women lately, so that's fun.

3) My work will most likely be for...12+ with the occasional chapter that might be 16+ instead. But since I haven't actually decided what I'm going to write, who knows? It could be something ridiculous and goofy for everyone with the occasional chapter that's 12+.

4) It might contain...usually either controversial topics or grown-up themes. The occasional light swearing, but not much of it nor words that are too horrible. And my scenes tend not to get too graphic, no matter which kind of scene it is.

5) The kind of feedback I enjoy giving is...encouragement, general feedback, and advice on character development, pacing, and plot. I generally steer away from nitpicking and grammar unless a) you tell me this is your final draft and/or you want that kind of review or b) it's a persistent problem with one particular aspect (like improperly formatted dialogue).

6) The kind of feedback I prefer to receive is...encouragement, general feedback, and advice on character development, pacing, and plot.

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:10 pm
View Likes
Audy says...

Code: Select all

[B]1) I usually like to read... (Genre, themes, character types, pace, depth, e.c.t)[/b]

[B]2) I usually like to write... (As above)[/b]

[B]3) My work will most likely be for... (Everyone, younger, older, 18+, e.c.t)[/b]

[B]4) It might contain... (contraversial topics, swearing, graphic scenes, e.c.t)[/b]

[B]5) The kind of feedback I enjoy giving is... (general feedback, nitpicking and grammar, plot guidance, fluff reviews and encouragement, e.c.t)[/b]

[B]6) The kind of feedback I prefer to recieve is... (As above)[/b]

^for ease c:

1) I usually like to read... (Genre, themes, character types, pace, depth, e.c.t)

Genre: All things poetry. Fictionwise, I love scifi/fantasy. I love classic victorian lit & romances. I love also historical fiction and genre benders. I love manga. I pretty much read everything. Except not so much a fan of mysteries or thrillers. Unless you show me a good one.

Themes: eh, I try to explore them all because humans and their multitude of experiences but I suppose coming-of-age tales. Nostalgia for a once golden age tales. Dystopian is fun. Also a fan of the rags-to-riches stories and heist stories. I like political intrigues as well c:

Chatacter types: I don't gravitate towards any particular character type but I love to read character-centered fiction. I want conflicted characters with a worldview and belief system and intriguing background or past. Characters who change, who interact, who are proactive in their stories and have some sense of humor c:

I write what I like c: so everything up there ^

Adults, 18+

A great deal of complexity and nuance. Yes, controversial topics because fictional religions and relative moralities. Swearing few and far between, but I don't shy away from graphic scenes. I try to be tasteful.

5) The kind of feedback I enjoy giving is... (general feedback, nitpicking and grammar, plot guidance, fluff reviews and encouragement, e.c.t)

I don't much look at grammar, but I do nitpick on structural and technical things. I try to balance that with feedback on thr content and what my thoughts were, if I liked a character, etc.

Be honest. Pretend the work is a punching bag and let loose.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:31 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I like to read fantasy, and anything weird and cool and different, generally- with a twist of romance; makes me feel like there's hope for the rest of us. I like characters who are sarcastic and charming... this is probably not what I should be writing right now. I like characters that make me laugh, let's put it that way- and ones that make me think, too. For pace I like fairly fast paced- like I don't want to read about breakfast routines!-- unless there's something SERIOUSLY entertaining about said breakfast routine.

Fantasy! Possibly with a touch of romance and horror, and hopefully humour but who knows? There are endless possibilities.

Mostly everyone. As a rule I don't swear much- but I will sometimes elude to swearing and things like that.

There may be graphic scenes in like, death and stuff, but not really anything else.

General feedback, most of the time! And encouragement!

6) The kind of feedback I prefer to receive is... (As above)

General feedback! If my dialogue fails at life, tell me! If my characters are bland as cardboard, tell me! If you like my setting, feel free to let me know that as well~ I can't promise I'll always like what you say, but that's okay.
100% autistic

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:20 pm
View Likes
Steggy says...

A bad habit of mine is re-reading the same book a dozen times before I actually get bored of it. Romance is a guilty pleasure of mine as well as fantasy but who doesn't like a good fantasy novel? Amirite? Characters in novels, in my opinion, should be lively and realistic, to where I can relate to them. Write to the main point, don't jump forward. Like, if they are having dinner, I don't care really. I care if someone is poisoned and is gagging on their last breath, then, maybe.

Anything and everything. I know that sounds bland but believe me: if you can give me a topic, most likely I will have a dozen or so ideas in my head about it. The sky is limitless and I'm an eagle, looking for new things to write.

18+ because of a serial killer falling in love with a doctor. yikes.

Some swearing but not too much.

I enjoy giving encouragement and general feedback on anything.

I'm open to anything. Detail, dialogue, too much info, etc. I take it all!
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:13 pm
Virgil says...

Going to go ahead and do this, since I almost forgot earlier!

1) I usually like to read... (Genre, themes, character types, pace, depth, e.c.t) I usually like to read anything that's thrown at me for the most part. Fantasy, contemporary romance, but most of all, poetry! (What a surprise! :p). I'm open to a lot of themes though I don't really like it when the theme is completely obvious and nothing is left for interpretation for the reader. I like things that have layers and things that have depth in them, most of all.

I love to write poetry, but sometimes I tend to dabble in prose, and when I do it's usually some form of fantasy. Poetry is what I mainly write and that usually doesn't really happen to confine to a single genre, so I'd say romance or realistic. I don't really write fantasy poetry all that often, perhaps I should delve into it sometime.

3) My work will most likely be for... (Everyone, younger, older, 18+, e.c.t) It could be for everyone, though it may be for people older depending on what kind of content goes into it. My poetry usually isn't that inappropriate for general viewers, though I'm going to go ahead and say that's it's probably best for older people though we'll see how it turns out.

4) It might contain... (controversial topics, swearing, graphic scenes, e.c.t) It might contain swearing, though there won't really be all that many graphic scenes. I don't expect there to be too much that will make others turn away or faint due to the subject matter.

5) The kind of feedback I enjoy giving is... (general feedback, nitpicking and grammar, plot guidance, fluff reviews and encouragement, e.c.t) I like giving a lot of criticism and I don't really hold back on my harshness, though I will give praise where praise is deserved. I don't really like to touch on grammar, if there are a lot of spelling errors I'll usually say something general and then after that suggest a grammar checker and proofreading through it. I'm utterly honest with my critique since I find that to be the best you can do when it comes to that sort of thing.

6) The kind of feedback I prefer to receive is... (As above)
I write reviews that I'd like to receive, so for the most part I'm open to harsh criticism, while I think being harsh for the sake of being harsh isn't good critique. I like getting in-depth feedback where it delves deeper into things. I also like conversations with feedback, like speaking to the other person for their reasoning for saying one thing or another. Honesty in feedback is probably the best that you can do for me in terms of critique, I won't be mad at anyone if I asked for it. Sugarcoating just doesn't do it for me, haha.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:15 am
Ashnirai says...

1) I usually like to read...
I have a deep and abiding love for fantasy stories, especially where there's complex world building involved, but perhaps unusually I find myself searching more for magic realism nowadays than the grand and sweeping worlds of high fantasy. That's not to say I don't like epic fantasies - they're still one of my favourite genre's to read - but something about making magic personable and human appeals to me more.

I like stories about people, about smaller struggles that don't matter in the grand scheme of things, but are beautiful and meaningful nonetheless. I like stories about quiet love, about deep friendship, about heartwarming relationships between people, but I love them more if they can break my heart in the process.

In the end, I guess I like beautiful tragedies the most.

2) I usually like to write...
I try to write what I like to read, so many of my own plots contain elements of magic (though this time I'm going for realism). My works are also usually laden with metaphors and imagery (sometimes to the point of purple prose, please point this out to me if you see it) because I think narrative should sometimes come second to evoking feeling and the rawness of thought. I do have a marked preference for sadder stories, but hopefully I'll be staying away from that this LMS.

3) My work will most likely be for...
Probably for teenagers and people in their early twenties. I have no idea, to be honest.

4) It might contain...
Definitely swearing. Probably exploring some mental health issues, some family tension, sexuality.

5) The kind of feedback I enjoy giving is...
Uh, seeing as I haven't reviewed much I'm not really sure, but I do like to look out for grammar (despite mine not being the best), vocab choice, and cadence of text. Also tensing.

6) The kind of feedback I prefer to recieve is...
Please tell me if my descriptions veer towards purple prose. Perhaps ironically, I'm not really looking for feedback on my grammar or tensing. Other than those two points however, all else is more than welcome.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:42 am
crossroads says...

Okay then...

1) I usually like to read good writing and tricky subject matter. Genre does matter, and I prefer a splash of magic in there (not necessarily enough for fantasy to be its main genre, even), but I'm always happy to be surprised by the thing I read. I like darker topics, though; troubled characters, big choices, heartbreaks and betrayals, mistakes and regrets, well-written less-than-happy endings. Character development and diverse casts. Interesting worldbuilding and twists. Atmosphere that takes me into the story and makes me not want to leave until well after its end.

2) I usually like to write the things I'd like to read but haven't been written yet :] Really, though, novels. An occasional novelette or a short, a veeeery rare poem, but primarily novels. They tend to be varying degrees of fantasy -- from literary fiction with just a splash of it, to magic realism, to full-on portal fantasy, to SFF mix. As for characters etc, pretty much the same I listed in answer to question one.

3) My work will most likely be for adults and those who can handle adult topics. I'm fairly sure I won't have to rate it higher than 16+ on language, but there might be some 18+ content chapters.

4) It might contain some swearing. Torture of various kinds. Characters dealing with mental health issues, moral dilemmas and impossible choices. Some very dark moments. Likely rape. Some relatively religious and political topics, but unrelated to this world so that probably doesn't count. LGBT+ characters and themes. Still, though, there'll be some happier moments in there, and some romance probably, and some hope on occasions. On occasions.

5) The kind of feedback I enjoy giving depends quite a bit on what I'm giving the feedback on. Most of the time I prefer the general kind -- plot, characters, dialogue, flow, atmosphere -- but I can do paragraph level feedback too. Line edits and grammar aren't my thing. I prefer to not sugarcoat things, though I can be gentle if I'm asked to be.

6) The kind of feedback I prefer to receive is pretty much anything, as long as it's honest and constructive. I don't care much about praise (I like to hear it, as do we all, but I want to know what can be improved) and I have a pretty thick skin. Otherwise, basically what I said in answer to question #5. General feedback, paragraph/line feedback maybe, preferably no LBL edits or grammar checks 'cause that's the easiest to fix by just proofreading.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

"People should not be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
— V for Vendetta