z

Young Writers Society

Lael and TheFantasy14

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:22 am
Lael says...

Linc McClain
"What is it?" asked Jae, his eyebrows drawing together. Gi leaned forward, her gaze intense and determined.

Linc glanced at the two before taking another deep breath and beginning. "After the quake, things were hard for all of these people. So many of them got hurt, children lost their parents . . . " He shook his head, thinking of his own mom and dad. "Anyways, I started this camp a while back to help the victims of the earthquake. But now, we have a problem." Linc rubbed his face tiredly. "There's this gang that's surfaced recently. Delta Iota Epsilon. Ever heard of them?"

Jae nodded. "The guy we were with earlier has lived in this area for a while. He told us about them."

"Okay. Well, they have been getting more daring recently," said Linc, "and they began bothering us. They want our territory and what little supplies we have here. But most of the refugees can't fight. I'm not sure what to do at this point."

"Can't say I'm surprised." Gi sighed. "People are crazy these days."

"They are," replied Linc with a heavy nod. "That's why we came out armed to the teeth earilier. We definitely need help against them, or else I'm afraid things will only get worse for anyone around here who isn't a member of Delta Iota Epsilon."

"Have you considered relocating?" Jae asked.

"Yeah, but a lot of the people in the camp are too injured to be moved a long distance safely. Besides, it wouldn't surprise me if the gang decides to ambush us as we leave."

Jae nodded slowly. He and his sister exchanged a look. "I suppose we could help, but there's very little the two of us could do for so many people. Neither of us were trained to fight either."

"At this point, any able-bodied person who can help is welcome. I suppose you have to discuss with your companion, though, right?"

"Right." Jae confirmed.

"And it isn't like he can't just leave if he doesn't like it." Gi folded her arms.

Linc wondered why Gi seemed to be somewhat against Evan. "He seems like a nice guy. Where'd you meet him?"

"He snuck into our camp." Gi told him.

"He was trying to get out of the rain and didn't realize we were there." Jae corrected his sister. "Then he ended up helping us out with a group of bandits and got injured. I've been treating him."

"I see," said Linc, nodding. "Do you think he'd be willing to help out?"

"Most likely." Jae confirmed. "We havent known him long, but it seems like he has a good heart."

"Are y'all talking about me now?" As if speaking about the guy had called him over, Evan peered through the curtain. He scanned their faces, a little warily. "So . . . you gonna tell me what's going on or what?"

"You would have known if you'd decided to join us in the first place." Gi pointed out with a glare.

What seemed like annoyance flickered over Evan's face but quickly disappeared. "I figured y'all wanted some time to catch up, just between friends. Or something like that."

Jae jumped in before the two could start arguing. "That's alright, Evan. Have a seat and we'll fill you in."

Linc glanced between Evan and Gi as Evan sat down, as far away from the girl as possible. From the way things were about to go, they must have bickered a lot before. Best to stay out of that. Linc began to recap what he had previously explained. Evan listened intently, growing more and more concerned as he continued.

"That's awful," he exclaimed when Linc finished. "Of course I will help."

"Thank you," replied Linc, relieved that the other man had agreed to help, though what skills he had were yet to be seen.

"But seriously," added Evan, obviously trying to lighten the mood, "why is it called Delta Iota Epsilon? Are they frat boy wannabes?"

Gi rolled her eyes.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

Meet me in Montauk.
— Charlie Kaufman