z

Young Writers Society

The First of May (thelostone and sherlocklives)

Reviews: 0
Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:31 pm
sherlocklives says...

William Montegomery:

I stepped onto the stage just like a thousand times before. My heart raced out of my control. I felt a smooth hand rub my back inconspicuously and I looked to see it was my best friend, Ana. Her normally flat aubern hair had been miraculously scrunched into loose curls.

This was our time.

I took my place at the piano, she at the mic. Her sweet voice fell over the people, harmonizing with the piano. The chorus came, and my baritone voice rang next to hers. The end was coming to quickly. I am ebrace the difficult piano interlude and slowed down. This was her solo.

A voice broke into the sweet song. It was a voice I knew all to well. I closed my eyes tight as I brought the piano back into the song. The woman was screeming that she would be late for work if I didn't give her her keys. I cringed that my mother would have the audacity to do this on our priemere night. My voice was shaky as I joined Ana again for the last stretch. The vocal director was getting the keys from my bag.

It was all over.

I rushed backstage and grabbed my backpack. I was going too. I didn't honestly care that others needed my piano. The vocal director could do theirs. "You want me to take you somewhere?" Anna's hair had alread fallen out of its angelic curls.

I stuffed $100 into her hand. "Give that to my mother." I told her. "And I'm going to the train station." I confessed.

Her eyes were raised, but she didn't question me. Her lips simply found my own as she pecked them gently. "Ok." She lead me out the door and into her car. It was a long drive in silence. When we finally arrived, I looked at her. She looked back, and for the forst time, I notieced there were tears in her eyes.

"Don't worry, Ana. I'll be back." I promised before jumping out of the seat and purchasing a ticket .

Another long ride in silence. I got off in an average sized city and began walking. I didn't know where I was going. A white dot glimmered on the horizon. As I got closer, I realized it was a tent - no a circus. This was unbelievable. I entered and just stared in a mazement.

My attention was drawn to the most beautiful girl I have ever seen, and at that moment. I knew I had to stay. Her short blonde curls and pearly skin. Wow.

I nudged a man hammerining some pegs into the groung to keep one of the big tents up. "How can I get a job here?" I smiled cooly.

The man spat. "It's more of a hobby. The pay is little if anything. You don't really want a job. But you can get some rest if you want." He pointed me in the direction of the working men's sleeping area, but I was determined. I would stay here.
~"Not all those who wander are lost."

Reviews: 4
Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:37 pm
thelostone says...

Eleanora Lorenz

From outside the big top, the laughter and cheering were still audible. Sweat was beading on my forehead. The humid summer air didn't help cool me down. I towered over the barrel filled with drinking water, studying my reflection. My hair, which was curled so perfectly close to my head, was now frizzy. But that was to be expected after our act. My dress glittered even with only the moonlight shining on it. Our performance dresses have always been extravagant. Ginny has told me countless times she'd love to wear the flapper like dresses all the time. I even think she asked Edgar once, but as expected he said no.

I dunked the tin cup into the water, shattering my reflection. The ice block had melted hours ago and the water was almost as warm as bath water. I tipped the cup over my arms and carefully washed the makeup off. Soon, the scars and bruises began to resurface. As much as I was tempted to scrub it off, I kept the makeup on my face. I knew Edgar would throw a fit if one of the rubes caught a glimpse of my makeup free face during a show night.

"Darling, there you are!" Charles rushed over to the water barrel and took the tin cup from my hands. "What on earth are you doing? The rubes haven't left yet, you're not to look anything less than a porcelain doll." He reached for my arm and I instinctively flinched. "Cover these up immediately. Did you forget you are to walk in the finale?"

I nodded and ducked my head. I knew from experience it was easier to agree than argue. "Yes," I mumbled. "Must've slipped my mind."

"Women these days," he scoffed. "Completely clueless." He released my arm and turned on his heel, marching back towards the big top.

I found Geneviere in the makeup car, admiring herself in one of the light up mirrors. The performers' makeup car was much smaller than the zanies, but I suppose the zanies wear more makeup.

While we were sisters, we looked almost nothing alike. Ever since I can remember, I've envied Ginny's dark hair. Since her skin was still as pale as mine, she embodied the porcelain doll Charles always insisted I become. Sometimes I wonder why he chose me to be his wife instead of Ginny.

I quickly brushed some powder back over my arms and hoped it would be enough to satisfy my fiance. I watched as Ginny took out a smoke and place it in her long cigarette holder.

"Ginny, please." I sighed, exhausted. "How many times have I asked you not to smoke?"

She rolled her brilliant blue eyes but a coy smile played at her lips. "As much as you like to think you are, you are not my mother. However, I will respect your previous wishes and smoke outside." She kissed my cheek briefly on her way out.

After the finale, I waited for Charles outside of our boxcar. I could see the working men already beginning to take down the various tents even though the show had only ended a few minutes ago.

"Come, Nora." Charles said once he greeted me at the tracks. "It is due time you change out of that obscene outfit."

I stayed quiet but followed him into our cozy box car. It was small, but contained a bed, a sitting chair, and a folding screen. I added a maroon colored rug I had found to make it more of a home. It wasn't much, but it was far more than any of the other performers or working men's cars. Aside from Edgar, Charles and I were the only ones with a boxcar all to ourselves.

"What did you think of the spec tonight, darling?" I asked, taking off the feather headband.

"Your timing was off for the first half." He said sternly, tugging at his bow tie. "I was shocked Ginny still managed to catch you."

"Yes," I murmured. "I'll work on that." I watched as Charles slipped out of his tuxedo and sat on the edge of the bed, yanking his shoes off.

Carefully, I unzipped the back of my dress. Charles caught my eye and ushered me behind the folding screen. "Perhaps you're falling ill," he said, walking back to the bed. "You've been forgetting an awful lot recently. I do hope that doesn't continue."

Once again, I said nothing. I wondered if every man had his soon to be wife undress behind a screen. Suddenly I wished the powder hadn't rubbed off of my arms. Perhaps maybe then he wouldn't mind so much if I undressed before him. He might even enjoy it. I shook my head to rid myself of the those thoughts. Charles loves me and it is because of this love that he does what he does. It is undecent for a woman to undress in front of another's eyes.

When I emerged with my night gown on, Charles was already asleep. I leaned over and kissed his temple then blew out the lamp hanging from the boxcar wall. When I got in bed, Charles turned on his side so his back was facing me and a small piece of me wondered if he was still awake. Beneath us, the wheels rumbled as the train lurched into motion.
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
— Willie Nelson