Young Writers Society

Feathers (ScarlettFire & Aley)

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:36 am
ScarlettFire says...

Micah - Forest:

"With difficulty," Micah stressed, eyes on the kid as he moved towards him. He backed up into the tree, watching the kid carefully. His hand was off the knife handle, but that didn't mean much, did it? So the kid was called Taner. Interesting. "Do you have idea how hard it is to hide my wings from literally everyone but a select few?"

Tanner shook his head. Micah wasn't sure if that was a no or not, or something else entirely. He'd crossed his arms over his chest. He seemed less of a threat now but something was still off about him. Taner was watching him again now, eyes ridiculously wide. Micah thought that was weird.

"Very hard," he snapped, answering his own question. He held up the leather harness and gestured to his wings. "I keep these strapped out of sight, beneath shirts and jackets." He looked away, biting his lip. The kid made some kind of noise, but Micah wasn't really paying attention anymore. He spoke softly, thoughtfull and confused; "I don't know what I am..."
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:18 pm
View Likes
Aley says...

Amadi | Taner - Forest:

Amadi stopped when he saw the bird back away from him. He wasn't completely oblivious then. Amadi kept a smile pulled out over his lips hoping that it wouldn't scare the guy off.

"With difficulty." He sounded stressed about it. "Do you have idea how hard it is to hide my wings from literally everyone but a select few?"

He couldn't hide his amusement as he shook his head. Amadi examined the wing hanging behind the guy. The break looked bad. If this guy was going to fix it, he'd need help and a splint that was probably custom made. He couldn't just put anything on it. It would have to make sure that the bone actually stayed out far enough to heal appropriately.

Amadi cursed himself a little. If he could cry for this guy with enough power in it, he could possibly speed up the healing process a little, right? He could do it in the past. He'd been milked for his tears before. Still, this guy wasn't someone he wanted to put that much effort in for yet.

"Very Hard," the man barked. He held up the leather straps and gestured to his wings, pointing over his right shoulder so he didn't have to move very much. "I keep these strapped out of sight, beneath shirts and jackets." Amadi felt his eyebrows knit together in concern. Horror filled him as he thought about that. He couldn't keep the disgust off his face. He grunted a bit in disgust. How could this guy do that to himself? He really was a masochist.

"I don't know what I am." The disgust drained from Amadi's face.

"I'm sorry." Amadi offered gently. He couldn't understand how the guy didn't know what he was, but it was sad to hear. Identity was very important to everything. A wolf needed to know it was a wolf in order to strive to it's fullest potential. Here this guy was though, avoiding his potential like it was the plague because he lived among humans without knowing what he really was.

A large bird swooped down behind Amadi and landed in a tree not far from Micah. Amadi didn't even flinch as the bird rounded about. It had a mouse in it's mouth and a little blue ribbon on it's leg. It put the dead mouse down on the branch and began ripping into it. The hawk ignored them for it's meal and after a glance at the ribbon, Amadi ignored it as well.

"My parents are very understanding." Amadi offered. He frowned and took another step towards the guy holding out his left hand, putting it as far from the weapon as possible, palm up. "They picked me up after I was abandoned in the woods." He stopped a few feet from the guy, not in arm's reach, but close. "The whole area around me had been burned." He spoke slowly. "I couldn't walk at the time, but I was unhurt." The red sun burn around his shoulders had cooled back into the white of his skin again. "They do not live far from here and I can help you tend your wing since I scared you into doing it. I've fixed bird wings before."

212 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:37 am
ScarlettFire says...

Micah - Forest:

Micah frowned. The area around him was burnt? That was very odd. Weird, even. At the mentioned of Taner's parents, Micah froze. He stared at the kid in shock. "I don't think that's a good idea," he whispered, glancing towards his injured wing. "As much as you say they're understanding, I think this might be a bit too much."

"How will you know unless you give them a chance to try? They might not even be home right now. They were gone when I left." Taner gave him a tight smile. Micah swallowed.

"I think I should go," Micah insisted, pushing away from the tree. Taner stepped in front of his, blocking his way.

"No," the kid said. "You need that wing looked at."

Micah stared at the kid for a long moment. Taner was staring at his wing again. He went to go past him, but the movement jostled his wing. Micah winced and went still. That wasn't a good sign. He checked his wing from the corner of his eyes. Was that blood? Crap, he'd definitely broken it, and enough so that it bled.

"That doesn't look good." The kid sounded a little concerned, but he couldn't be sure. He turned to stare at Taner, who was staring at his wing again. "Are you sure you should be walking around like that?" Taner's eyes darted up to meet his. "I'm surprised you're still standing."

"Why do you care?" Micah asked, frowning at the kid. "You're just some kid."

806 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:42 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Amadi | Taner - Forest:

Micah didn't hear him he spoke over him even. "I don't think that's a good idea. As much as you say they're understanding, this might be a bit much." How would that be a bit much when a naked baby laying in the middle of a burnt forest wouldn't be?

"How will you know unless you give them a chance to try?" Amadi suggested. He didn't want to just let this kid wander off with his wing like that, it needed serious medical help and Amadi knew he could probably do something for it at home. "They might not even be home right now. They were gone when I left." Amadi tried to avoid grimacing with a smile to cover it. Micah swallowed.

"I think I should go," Micah insisted, pushing away from the tree. Amadi took a quick breath and carefully stepped in front of Micah hoping that his presence would stop the kid. He couldn't just knock him out and drag him back, he could do more damage to the wing, and if this guy really didn't know what he was, he couldn't just wander around in this realm. Even Amadi wasn't heartless enough to just let him lack his real identity.

"No. You need to get that wing looked at." Amadi shook his head and spread his stance so he could get more places faster, if he needed to. He had tended wings before, and in his head, he was already forming a method to secure it so that it wouldn't continue down this trend. He unabashedly stared at the wing as he made his plans, hoping this guy wouldn't keep going against him.

When Micah moved again, Amadi grimaced. He hid it well enough, but he swallowed in nerves. "That doesn't look good." His voice quivered at the memory of such pain. Unless Micah wasn't feeling the pain of the wing, he was an amazing bird. "Are you sure you should be walking around like that?" Maybe reason would finally break through to him. He changed his gaze to Micah's eyes, praying he would finally give in. "I'm surprised you're still standing."

"Why do you care?" Micah snapped back, his brow furrowed. "You're just some kid."

Amadi dropped his head. Just some kid. Well it was better than just some two bit traitor, or a turn coat. "These forests are my back yard, and all the animals in them, are under my protection. I might just be some kid, but I care a lot about the unique." Most of the time, he cared a lot about them not being in his lands, in his territory, but this was Micah's home more than it was his own. Amadi took a careful step closer to the man, trying to get a little closer to help him.

"I might just be some kid, but I am probably your only chance at getting that set right, and I'm willing to help. Unless you have some vet friend who's figured out how to set wings that big," He paused for a moment, wondering idly if the man would speak. When he shook his head, Amadi continued his thought. "I am your last chance to fly again."

"Really?" Micah challenged, his shoulders stiffening slightly, but the left twitched in pain.

"Yes. You've done some serious damage, and if it is healed poorly, some of your nerves could pinch and cut off your use of your primary feathers." Amadi held his hands up near his chest, palms out, as if to calm a wild beast. "It would also be very painful but considering you're still awake, I'm concerned that it's happened." He offered gently.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:23 am
ScarlettFire says...

Micah - Forest:

"Yes. You've done some serious damage, and if it is healed poorly, some of your nerves could pinch and cut off your use of your primary feathers."

Micah looked at his wing again. It was true that he didn't feel any pain. Was Taner insinuating that that was a bad thing? He glanced towards the kid. Taner was closer to him than he'd been before. Micah blinked at him. He was, wasn't he?

"It would also be very painful but considering you're still awake, I'm concerned that it's happened." The kid's voice was gentle now.

Yes, yes he was. Taner was concerned that Micah wasn't feeling pain because of the effects of the break on his nerves. Micah sighed. Okay, maybe the kid was right. He turned towards the boy. Taner was staring at his wing again. "Fine," he said, looking away. "You can tend to my wing." He crossed his arms over his chest. "But if anyone, and I mean anyone, kid, gives me the slightest sign that there's something off about the whole thing, I'm leaving." He glanced towards Taner again. "Let's get this straight; I don't trust you--"

"I get it," Taner cut in. "Now will you please stop moving?"

Micah scowled. "Fine."

806 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:07 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Amadi | Taner - Forest:

"Fine, you can tend to my wing." Micah crossed his arms over his chest. Amadi's eyes thinned as he looked at the stress on the wing from that simple motion. "But if anyone, and I mean anyone, kid, gives me the slightest sign that there's something off about the whole thing, I'm leaving." Micah glanced towards Amadi again. "Let's get this straight; I don't trust you--" He was so going to move.

"I get it!" Amadi cut in before he could finish. He did not want this guy moving again even if he did have to threaten and posture. "Now will you please," he begged "stop moving?"

The man didn't hear the desperation in his voice, all the better perhaps. "Fine."

Amadi sighed and shook his head. "Thank the lords. Now then, we can get focused on fixing your mess." He looked around and saw absolutely nothing he could use. He took a long breath and sighed, he had to be creative. Freaking creative. How was he going to be creative out here? He needed a sling for now so the wing wasn't dragging and was stiff before it did any more damage. He eyed the leather straps Micah had earlier. He frowned and crossed his arms over his chest studying the thing.

"We need to make a sling so we can get you back to my house without damaging your wing any further. It needs to take the weight off your wing muscles and support the limb off the ground." Maybe this guy would have an idea.

Micah just stared at him for a little while before just saying "O-okay." That was it. No brilliant idea, no wise remark, not even a sign that he was creative at all.

Amadi sighed heavily and looked around. He was a bird, right, he could do this. He had to do this! "Okay," he said with more of an assured tone than Micah had offered. "We have your leather thing, my shirt, your shirts, twigs and stuff, and a broken wing." Amadi frowned. "This is going to get weird no matter what we do, but we have to stop the bleeding." Amadi reached behind himself and pulled his shirt off over his head wiggling out of it. He came closer to Micah hoping to get to the wing.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:01 am
ScarlettFire says...

Micah - Forest:

Micah watched as the kid came closer. They were both shirtless now. He looked away. The kid was kinda scrawny. And there was his shirt, only a couple of feet away. Okay, so he had been closer than he'd thought earlier. Shirs, his leather harness and whatever else they could find. Alright, he could do this.

"Um, I guess this could work," he told the kid. Taner's eyes flickered up towards his face before gonig back to the wing. He was even closer now. Close now to reach out and touch, though Micah kept his hands firmly to himself. Taner reached for his wing and Micah flinched. "What are you doing?"

"What's it look like?" Taner snapped, drawing the knife.

Micah watched as the kid began to cut and rip his shirt. The fact that the knife was out and being used had him on edge. He didn't like knives. There had been one incident when Micah was younger, but he really didn't like to talk about it. After a moment of fiddling, Tanner gingerly took hold of his wing in one hand. Micah stiffened.

"This might hurt a little," the kid warned before putting the knife away. Then Taner took the wing in both hand and manipulated it until it no longer drooped towards the ground. As soon as the pressure that had been on the break was gone, a flood of pain began. Micah leaned towards Taner. "I did warn you."

The leather harness was taken from his limp hand and he felt the kid fitting it over his wing and fiddling with it some. Micah wasn't sure what he was doing, because in the next moment, Taner had left his side to go get his abandoned shirt. When he came back, he wrapped around where the break was. By then, Micah sight had dimmed slightly and he wasn't sure if he'd be able to stay upright for much longer. He tried to warn the kid, but the next thing he knew, the ground was coming up towards his face.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:46 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Amadi | Taner - Forest:

When Micah collapsed, Amadi wrenched the larger man forward on his body so he wouldn't fall on his wings. He had felt the muscles give way in the huge form and did his best to sway the balance of his body towards the foreground instead of his back again. He couldn't risk falling on that wing without something to protect it yet. When they fell to the ground, Amadi beneath the heavy bird, Amadi could only sigh and start to crawl out from under the unconscious form. By the time he was out, he'd figured out he was not going to be able to move the man himself, so he made up his mind to do what he could for the wing by transporting things closer now that the man was clearly immobile.

With time to go back and forth to the house, at a run, he built a brace that cupped both of the wings together against his back in a stiff resting position giving support to the injured wing by taking the weight onto the un-injured one and the shoulders. It wasn't perfect for an upright position, but it almost acted as a walking pack for the wings to wrap around Micah's shoulders.

He didn't secure the brace right away, but insured first it could be removed while he slept, and created a smaller brace which would just support the one wing. The hawk circled around again and landed on the trees. It cawed and screeched at Amadi who just glanced over his shoulder. "I know, I know, but he's an orphan from his home." The hawk swooped at Micah's unconscious head, and landed on his good wing.

"Get off of him, gently," Amadi warned the bird who examined the wing.
The hawk twisted his head about and puffed his feathers before giving a great swoop of his wings and flying off. Amadi sighed in relief and finished tying the netting to the bent stick. He grabbed the soaking bandages and wrapped them carefully around the wound so the healing properties would seep into the skin, then attached the larger brace which secured itself around the far side of both wings, with shoulder straps and secured across the wing with several points as support.

Once he was done, he dumped out the water and sat back waiting for Micah to wake up, playing with whittling a javelin out of a leftover piece of wood. He might as well get a fish from the lake if this guy was going to take a while to wake up. It took a few hours of tossing the spear around like an idiot before he finally managed to stab dinner through. He returned to the unconscious man not far off in the woods. He jumped dropping the speared fish off to the side when he heard Micah groan.

"Calm, calm," Amadi was on him in a flash gently touching his shoulders to stop him from moving quickly. "It's alright, you're safe. Calm down and move carefully." He urged before putting his arm out in front of the man so he could grab it if he wanted to get up. "Don't try to get up on your own, use me if you want to get up, don't lay on your wings."

212 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:44 am
ScarlettFire says...

Micah - Forest:

There was splashing off in the distance, and swearing. And then footsteps and muttering. Micah groaned, slitting his eyes against the light. He found Taner just dropping something and then rushing over to him. "Calm, calm," the kid said, and then there was something else he couldn't make out. And then; "--don't lay on your wings."

"What happened?" Micah grunted, pushing the kid's arm away.

"You passed out."

He blinked up at the kid. "I did?" Micah asked, frowning slightly. "That's...not good." He tried to flex his shoulders and his good wing, and winced when the movement pulled on the broken one. "Damn, that hurts."

806 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:21 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Amadi | Taner - Forest:

Amadi still knelt by Micah after he pushed away his arm. "You passed out." Amadi told him not hearing his mumble. He wasn't sure what the guy said, but he said something.

Micah strained enough to look up at him, and Amadi saw his wings move slightly. "That's... not good." He shuffled his wings testing his range of motion and Amadi winced as he saw the bad wing jostled.

"It is to be expected with a break like that." Amadi whispered to himself, then addressed his companion. "I fastened a makeshift halter for them to keep them from moving while we get back to my place. You have to be careful getting up. Don't strain them, use your arms and core strength." Amadi really wasn't sure if Micah was going to listen to him or not, but he had to try.
Last edited by Aley on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:52 am
ScarlettFire says...

Micah - Forest:

Micah eyed the kid thoughtfully. Use his arms? And his core? But... Micah pushed himself up on his elbows a bit more. He struggled up on his knees, feeling unbalanced since he couldn't use his wings. Taner moved to help him.

"Slowly," the kid hissed, grabbing his arm.

"Easy," Micah snapped back, jerking his arm away from the kid. The movement unbalanced him and he very nearly fell over again. If it weren't for Taner grabbing his arm again, he probably would have. "Let go of me."

"No," Taner said, eyes narrowed in his direction. "If I do, you might fall over again."

He exhaled and looked away from the kid, closing his eyes. "Alright, whatever." Micah slitted his yes, turning his head back to Taner. "You said something about getting back to your house?"

806 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:17 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Amadi | Taner - Forest:

The man gradually collected himself to his knees. Amadi stayed very close to him, and gently grabbed his arm as he noticed Micah struggle for balance. Luckily he didn't seem to be using his wings. "Slowly," Amadi barked at him.

"Easy," Micah huffed back. He jerked away from Amadi, and his body weight shifted too fast for him to re-distribute his balance, he nearly fell over.

Amadi grabbed him once he let his point be made, This man needed his help. He was going to break himself more if he didn't accept it. The near-fall should be enough to prove that. "Let go of me." Micah still growled at him.

How he was so obtuse about his own well being was beyond Amadi. He shook his head. "No." He glared down at the man in his best menacing human look, but he knew it wasn't much. "If I do, you might fall over-again." he tried to spit it out with concern for Micah's well being but he really didn't want to say it.

Micah finally exhaled and released dominance. Amadi relaxed and nodded his thanks, subconscious as it was, he was glad Micah didn't see it. "Alright whatever." Micah peaked at him from under nearly-shut eyes. "You said something about getting back to your house?"

Amadi nodded and wrapped the arm he held over his shoulder, hoisting the man more to a standing position with what human strength he had. He hoped that Micah could support a good percentage of his weight once he was actually on his own feet again, and they could walk with relative ease. The heat was going to be devastating to his new acquaintance if he couldn't.

"I can make a better stabilizer once we're there but you've got to get some rest with the thing on or your wing might not heal right," Amadi warned him. He still held the man's arm over his shoulder, his body sweating from the effort of holding him up, rather than the heat. His own body temperature was warmer than Micah's so it felt like cool skin pressed against his back, sending pimples across his skin as it prickled up from the slight chill, despite the sweat from work.

Change isn't inherently good, but you can't stop it, so let's just enjoy the ride. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— TheSilverFox