z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (cont'd)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:22 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I was introduced to my faithful captain, a fellow from the South by the name of J'Nor Lan. He's very charming but has yet to crack a smile, which I will attempt to remedy during our voyage. Despite this, he has a kindness about him that convinces me to place my trust in him--" Emery paused, chuckling. "--and I hope we will come to be great companions on this journey.
"The snow started falling the moment we set out, and it has not stopped since. The sea is irritated by the blizzard and has thrown us this way and that all night. My son has become sick overboard more than once, and now he lies in fever on the other side of the roon, cursing the waves and praying for land. I'm afraid I cannot relate to his discomfort; my stomach is strong and my appetite for travel even more so."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:24 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Well, it seemed Perseus didn’t have a stick up his ass, unlike the current Lord Ash. “Who was his son?”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:30 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"That would be Armand Ash." Emery hesitated. "Not to spoil the ending but I believe he died the same year this account ends. Only eight years old."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:31 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“That’s tragic,” Aleth said. “I take it Perseus had other sons, then?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:32 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"A daughter named Liesel. She became the Lady of House Ash after Perseus's death. I'm told she was a just Lady."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:45 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Ah,” Aleth said. “That’s good at least.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:53 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"For certain. The Ashes have had some rough patches, but nobody can doubt Lady Liesel. They still sing songs about her."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:59 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Is that so?” Aleth asked, delighted that Emery was offering so much information so freely.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:00 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Oh, certainly." Emery settled the book in his lap. "Shall I go on?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:03 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Please.” Aleth gestured encouragingly.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:12 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I have read previous accounts of other Lords and even our King traversing the lands beyond our Realms. They were woefully lacking in detail, speaking only of savages and wild beasts. I believe there is something more to the people of these other lands. I want to learn their ways, to hear their stories."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:16 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Well, that would be interesting to hear about if he actually succeeded in that mission. And lived to write about it.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:18 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"My son stirs and asks if I will take him to the rail again. I must attend to my duties as a father, but I will write more on the morrow." Emery turned the page. "Next entry. Your turn."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:26 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth took the book and flipped to the next page. He made sure to go slow and stumble over his words and ask for help periodically (but I am too lazy to write that so just imagine lol)

“The night was long and restless for my son, and, by extension, me as well. I fear I may have made a mistake by bringing him along on this excursion. For the sake of his constitution as well as my sanity, I hope that he adapts to the trials at sea quickly.

“The captain tells me today seems to be another taxing day on the water, the wind and the waves against us at every turn. I’ve yet to earn a smile from the stoic man, but I believe I am slowly beginning to make it past his detached civility. He told me this morning a story of passionate affection for a girl from his younger years, and I think there is more personality to him than he’d like to admit.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:45 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Emery raised an eyebrow. "Ooh, interesting. You know, I think I may have read this one before. A long time ago when I was just starting out?"

she/her

Nobody wants to see the village of the happy people.
— Lew Hunter