Bo and Maahes: The Dynamic Duo

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:09 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He nodded. "Yeah," he said, though it wasn't entirely true, "you are." There were people in the past who had known - the people who had rebelled against Ra, and the Alterans - but Annie had been the only one in his recent history who had known the full extent of who he truly was.

And just thinking of her made him feel even more horrible than before.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:00 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo's eyebrows shot up. "Oh. Wow. Dang."

"Then I must say," Mickey added. "It's an honor to have you with us. Though, it still is no matter how many people you've told. But I'm very interested to meet someone with magic who is also from another planet, or another world. I am curious to know if your limits differ from ours."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:33 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He already knew the answer to that question. His limits would be very different than theirs. A long time ago, something like how long he had spent away from the Other Place might have made things difficult when he tried to use his magic. But now? He had spent such a long time from there that the pain was never as bad as it had once been, and he could tap into his magical potential with ease. He wasn't even sure if there was a limit to how much he could use. He had always been conservative about it, whether it was because he didn't want people to know the truth or because he wanted to fit in with the Alterans.

He gave Mickey a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "I'm curious about that, too."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:55 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"Well!" Mickey clapped his hands. "You like books, and you like reading, so how about we get to it! What would you like to learn about first?" He asked with a brightness in his eyes and Bo grinned behind him.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:51 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He thought over the question for a few moments, though he had already known what he wanted to learn about. It was a foolish type of thing to study. He knew his interest was only there because he wanted to imagine a world where he hadn't been the only one like himself.

But even if it was just for a single moment, he wanted to let himself live that fantasy.

"Do you have any books from before magic was outlawed?" he questioned. He shifted uncomfortably, knowing that he should have been asking about something else instead. "I'd like to read something about how it was integrated into your world's cultures, if any of your books fit that description."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:12 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo and Mickey exchanged glances, each with a growing smile on their face.

"Dude, you just described, like, half the library," Bo replied.

Mickey chuckled. "Maybe you'd be interested in reading about the Monster Hunting Guilds?" he asked as he started to walk, leading the way towards an aisle of books. "I used to be in one myself, but that was a hundred or so years ago. Who's keeping count nowadays?" he laughed again. "The guilds were probably the richest in magic use as far as human civilization goes. But there are books about the harpies and the goblins, who also have a rich magical heritage as well." The entered a row of shelves, and Mickey began to pull a few books off the shelves, handing them to Leo.

"This one's got basic guild history. This one's about harpies' healing magic, which they're famed for... or at least, were, until the calamity. And aha- goblins!" He plopped a rather thick book into Leo's growing stack. "Goblins have an interesting history of magical experimentation on plants and animals, but a lot of it resulted in them finding many naturally magical plants and animals. The evolution of their magical philosophy is quite fascinating. Nowadays, they've moved on from experimentation and actually work with different monsters - magical and non magical - and train them to- oh!" He stopped putting a hand over his mouth. "Well, I like to babble. But I'm sure you'll find out all of that and more in the books!"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:16 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

He stared at the pile of books in his hands and tried to keep the eager smile on his face. He should have been smiling at what they said. He had professed his love of books and history and culture; there was no reason why he wouldn't be overjoyed at the prospect of reading the books. He tried to make the smile go right up to his eyes, and tried to keep that excited little twinkle to his eyes.

But, Altera, it was hard.

He could feel his hands shaking as he tried to keep a grasp on the large pile of books. His smile was faltering; the corners of his lips were beginning to turn down, despite his best attempts to keep their up. And something about that realization made him feel even more miserable than before, because it wasn't even like they were looking at his real face.

"Thank you so much," he said, just barely managing to keep his voice strong. He looked around the library for some place to sit. Once he spotted a nearby table, he quickly made his way over to it and put the books down in front of him. He tried not to look too closely at the titles on the spines of the bottom books.

But he still ended up looking down at them. It wasn't like he could run and hide from that particular truth, anyways. He was certain that if he had been around during those times, he would have been hunted by one of those monster hunting guilds that Mickey had mentioned and been a part of.

After all, his true form didn't look human in the slightest.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:32 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Mickey nodded a farewell to Maahes as he began to head for the exit, and looked towards Bo. It was a look that Bo knew - one that didn't need words - and he knew what Mickey meant.

He should stay with Leo.

Not that he was planning on leaving their guest so soon, but Mickey seemed to think that something was up with Leo. Or at least, that's what he gathered from the look. The pros to the look were that it was subtly, but the cons were he had absolutely no context or further information to go on, so he didn't really know how to help Leo feel more comfortable.

As Mickey disappeared from the doorway, Bo picked up a random book off another table and joined Maahes.

"I guess I just realized uh, I mean, I know you understand me but, some of these texts are in other languages. Do you want me to help translate?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:35 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

"I should be alright," Maahes reassured him, grabbing the top book off of the pile and opening it up in front of his face. It was a simple, convenient way for him to hide his current mess of feelings, and he wasted no time in using it to its full potential. "Languages have similarities, and I have an easy time picking up on them."

He was certain it was because of his true nature - a sore subject, given his miserable state right now. But learning languages had never been all that hard. As long as he had something to go off of, he could easily pick up a new language in a short period of time.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:01 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo nodded politely, smiling a little as Leo began to read. He didn’t want to pressure him or anything. He barely knew the guy. So he just picked up hiw own book, leaned back, and started to read.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:47 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

The book was interesting, to say the least. From the little he could understand when he began reading, it was about the goblin experiments. He was lucky that he hadn't picked one of the ones detailing the monster hunting guilds; while the topic remained at the back of his mind, his attention was largely focused on the information before him.

He soon became so engrossed that almost everything around him faded to little more than something he noticed out of the corner of his mind. He even, for a moment, forgot that Bo was sitting nearby, but fortunately remembered before he changed his guise out of habit.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:11 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo had gotten lost in the book until he came to his favorite page, and suddenly, his entire face lit up and he spun the book around, sliding it across the table towards Leo.

"Leo! Leo!" he whispered excitedly. "Look! It's Ivar! The lightning dragon!" he said with a smile. "Him and I are irrevocably linked. Until we find each other."

He pointed at the page that opened up to a two-page spread of an illustration of a dragon. The dragon was long and wound into several loops. It had an elegantly long head and piercing bright blue eyes, and white scales that alternated between white and a shimmery blueish version of gold leaf. In the background there were rolling hills painted with delicate strokes, indicating they were in the distance, while dark clouds were painted up high. A streak of lightning danced behind the dragon across the page, reaching from the clouds to the ground.

The dragon looked beautiful, but fierce. It was one of his favorite things about it.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:29 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

Maahes looked up from his own book.

The words had barely registered because he had been so engaged with reading his story, but, now that he had the picture in front of him, the words were beginning to come back to him. Bo was linked to a dragon? How was that even possible? He knew that magic could do incredible things, but a link like that seemed...strange, to say the least. He peered up from behind the covers of his own book and stared at Bo.

Maybe it was something like the summoning spell that bound him here? The words could be a basis for an unbreakable magical connection, save for if his summoner died without putting a proper summoning spell in place.

"What happens if one of you dies?" he asked.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:49 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo's smile faltered for a second.

"Oh. Uh. Well. That's where it gets kind of uh, well..." he scratched the back of his head. "If Ivar dies... uh... I die. But no one knows where he is."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:16 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes

"Oh," he quietly said. That wasn't how it would end if his summoner died or vice versa; the bonds between them would simply be broken. He ducked back down behind his book and stared at the words on the pages, having already gotten quite the good idea of what most of them meant.

Then, having remembered the way Bo's smile faltered, he peeked his head back up.

"I'm sorry for asking about that," he apologized. He hid his face behind the book again, not wanting to betray the real reason for his question. He had been looking for some sort of kinship - something that meant he wasn't the only one like him out there in the universe. But he should have known just how alone he truly was. "I was just curious, since you said you were linked and everything."
mage

queer and here.

I would rather die of passion than of boredom.
— Émile Zola