z

Young Writers Society

TheLostOne and TaylorLove

Reviews: 4
Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:55 pm
thelostone says...

Casper

Days went by and it was clear my father was getting worse. At night he'd stir in his sleep, sweat beading on his forehead. At times he'd groan but he never opened his eyes, never fully woke up.

I sat by his bedside throughout it all. Clara and my mother would take turns visiting. I'm beginning to suspect they're more worried about me than Father.

There was a small knock on the door before Clara hesitantly walked in. Her eyes were a sad mixture of pity and sorrow. She came up behind me and put her hands on my shoulder.

"How's he doing?"

I didn't answer her. I felt too heavy, too drained to find words. I wouldn't have been surprised if someone took hundreds of pounds of weight off my back and told me I had been carrying it. All I've ever wanted to do was please my father. Now he's dying and all I've ever caused him was disappointment. It was eating away at me, rotting me from the inside out.

She leaned down and kissed under my ear. "It's been eight days since you've left this room, Cass," she said softly. "Come on, I've run a bath for you."

I stayed where I was for a moment, gathering the strength to stand up. I glanced at the healer who gave me a firm nod. Clara took my arm and lead me to our room. The bright lights in the corridors hurt my eyes. Father's chambers were kept dim.

Steam was rising off the water in the oval shaped tin tub. I stood numbly in front of it.

Clara looked at me as if I were a wounded puppy, but I guess in a way I was. She carefully walked up to me and slipped her hands under my shirt. She slowly pulled off my shirt and tossed it aside. She ran her thumb over my cheek, pulling my face up so I'd meet her eyes. I could tell she was hurting too.

She undid my belt buckle and added it to the growing pile of clothes. Once she eased me out of the rest of my clothes, she helped me step into the water. I liked the way the heat stung my skin. I silently wished it was hotter, then maybe it would burn away all the guilt.

The sponge was cold with soap as she squeezed suds over my shoulders.

"It's okay to grieve," she said, her voice still soft and quiet. "But it's killing me to see you destroy yourself like this."

She poured water over my head. She ran her hands through my hair, tangling it with shampoo. Beside the tub, Leo gently licked Luc clean. Water droplets hung from my nose and chin.

"I love you." She paused what she was doing to look at me. "You know that, right?"

I gave the slightest hint of a nod. I wanted to say it back but at the moment I couldn't. It was like my lips were sewn shut and every time I tried or wanted to say something, the thread didn't let me. My mouth wasn't sewn shut though and I could've said something to ease her pain but I didn't. I remained still and selfishly silent.
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

Reviews: 1
Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:49 am
TaylorLove says...

Clara

After I helped him back into his clothes, I helped him back into the room with his father and sat him down. I brought him a pillow in blanket in. I knew he would probably not use them at all but, it made me feel better knowing he had something there.

I went down to the kitchen and fixed me some apple cinnamon tea. Leo jumped up onto the counter and sat there. "Are you okay?" He asked me.

"It does not matter if I am okay Leo, I am just worried about Cass and his father." I told him, sipping on the warm tea.

He growled. "It does matter, to me."

"I mean I am just trying to do what I can and not take anything personally, because I know it is not." I tell him. "I just want him to be okay."

I went into the room that Cass and I were suppose to share but I have been the only in here since his dad became very ill. I was trying not to be selfish because I really did understand. I changed into a silk gown that hit the floor and put in a matching silk robe. Leo brought me over some slippers, know I would not be staying into room.

I bought my tea into the room where Cass and his father were. I sat Cass some tea on the side table for him, knowing he probably would not drink it. I sat in a chair on the other side of the bed. Luc ran over to me and I put my hand in the ground and scooped him up and put him on my shoulder. Leo jumped into my lap and curled up into a ball. Atleast one of us would be getting sleep.

I looked over at Cass and his eyes were locked on his father. There was such sadness in his eyes, such dispare. Because my mother could read auras, she was able to teach me a few things about emotions and behavior patterns. I could see that Cass was in deep thought and was blocking out everything. It was very hard for me to watch but nothing that I felt would come close to how he was feeling.

Right then, I added to my vows to him. That even though this next chapter in our life would lead to a lot of struggle that I would be there for him and love him no matter what trials we faced.

And right as those word were affirmed in my head, it seemed like the trials were just beginning.
Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart
-Winnie the Pooh

Reviews: 4
Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:58 pm
thelostone says...

Casper

I was half asleep when it happened. I watched through half closed eyes as Sebastian's head lowered: a sign of defeat. I didn't realize that at the time, I merely thought he was tired and trying to get a bit of rest.

He pulled the sheet up over my father's face and I stood up, stumbling slightly.

"No, my Highness. You're not strong enough to handle this standing up." Sebastian rushed towards me and sat me back down.

"What's going on?"

He took my face in his hands. Sympathy was written all over his face. "Our King has passed."

I swatted his hands away and laughed hysterically. "He's not dead. He can't be." I stood up again, shoving Sebastian out of my way. "He can't be dead, because it's your job to keep him alive." My voice grew louder. "HE CAN'T BE DEAD AND I WILL HAVE YOU EXECUTED FOR TREASON IF HE IS!"

Clara and Leo burst into the room. "Cass? Wha-" her eyes fell on the covered up king and her voice softened. "Oh, Cass..."

Angry tears began to blur my vision. I grabbed Sebastian by the neck and threw him on the floor. "This man killed my father," I seethed.

Sebastian looked up at Clara terrified. "I did my best, but I can't bring people back from the grave! Our King was an inch from death when I was brought in I was simply-"

"SHUT UP!" I screamed as Mother hurried in. Leo bared his teeth at me but his growl quickly turned into a whimper.

My fists were clenched and shaking at my sides. Clara gasped and held her head in her hands, wincing in pain.

"Cass, you need to calm down!" She cried. "You're hurting me."

Instead of calming down, I turned my rage to Sebastian. He was the one responsible for this, he was the one who should be punished.

He let out an anguished cry and curled up in a ball.

"Casper, stop it at once!" Mother snapped. I wasn't sure if the tears running down her cheeks were because she just lost her husband or because she's also losing her son. She ran to my father's side.

I looked down at Sebastian who was still writhing on the ground but his pain didn't make mine go away. I stumbled towards Clara and fell into her, sobbing.

"He's dead, Clara! He's dead." I kept repeating to myself that he was dead as I clutched to her sweater. Her fingers threaded through my hair.

"Shhh," she murmured. I was sure that if she wasn't holding onto me I would've fallen apart. My knees gave out and we both fell to the floor. My sobs quietened but the intensity still shook my entire body.

After a moment or two, Clara helped me stand and lead me to the bedroom. I put my head on her chest and tried to focus on her heartbeat until I calmed down. When it slowed, I could tell she was asleep.

I tried to wrap my mind around the fact my father was dead. All my life all I've wanted to do was please him, make him proud of me and he died before he ever got a chance to be proud of me. I could've done something those days I spent by his bedside. I could've been the man he wanted me to be instead of the coward he got.
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

'The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy