z

Young Writers Society

Ghostly Reviewing Services

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:11 pm
Cspr says...

Hello, Cspr here. I figured I might as well do this, rather than mucking about looking for things I might like to read to review. Simpler. More streamlined.

Yes.

Anyway, here's my shtick:

I Read:

Fantasy (including sub-genres, see 'What I Cannot Read' for stricter rules)--flash fiction, short stories, and novels.
Action/Adventure--flash fiction, short stories, and novels.
Science fiction (soft, mostly)--flash fiction and short stories; novels on occasion.
Horror--anything that doesn't exceed R; this is one of my favorite genres.
Television and screenplay scripts--can do, but I only will take on a few of these.

What I Can Read With Prodding:

Romance (bittersweet, yes; sloppy, sugary teen flings, no)--flash fiction and short stories; novels on occasion.
Historical fiction (pre-Renaissance, Civil War, 20s, 50s, 80s)--flash fiction and short stories; novels on occasion.*
Poetry--free verse, mainly; shorter than fifty lines.* *
Songs.***

What I Cannot Read:

Mainstream teen drama, boy-meets-girl fiction. (Unless you sell yourself well.)
Soapy romance/melodramas.
Hard science fiction.
Fantasy that is all 'Suddenly, elves, dragons, and leprechauns!' Also, fantasy that doesn't have rules. Tolkien-style fantasy (I don't do extremely detailed epics, sorry).
Non-English works.
Poetry with meter and feet.
Most drabbles.
Fanfiction (for the most part--you can ask, but I'll probably say no).

My basic way of reviewing is simple. I sift through for misspelled words, sentences that don't make sense, and anything that catches my mind's eye as 'wrong.' I'm not very good at exotic punctuation (semi-colons are what my nightmares are made of), or spotting messed up tenses. If I notice something I don't like, I'll mention it--same if I notice something I don't like. I do, on average, line-by-line jobs. However, if you want an overview of what I think of the plot/characters/description/etc. I am fully fine with doing that. I can be critical, but I'm normally pretty upbeat. I will tell you if my eyes start to bleed, however. I'm a Jack-of-Trades when it comes to reviews.

I need your work to have good spelling (this includes titles), good grammar, and a speck of interest-value, however. Also, no 'adult' stuff and no excessive language.

For examples of published authors I like for a reference point:

F. Paul Wilson, Tim Bowler, Stephen King, J.K. Rowling, D.J. MacHale, Rick Riordan, Robin Wasserman, Scott Westerfield, Kate Cary, Jared Millet, and Sarah Brennan Rees.

*I can do this, but I'm not the history buff you're looking for.
**I'm okay at poetry, but I know little.
***Same as above; change poetry to 'song writing'.
My SPD senses are tingling.

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:10 am
DreamyAlice says...

Hello, I am one of the res crew mods here on YWS. This is a message just to inform you that I will lock and archive this thread as it is not active anymore. We have to archive and lock the inactive threads to keep the forum organized so no worries if you'd like to reopen it at any point in the future please contact a current resources moderator, we would be happy to reopen it for you ^-^

-ALICE
Imagination is a superpower. Use it well!

Edna began to feel like one who awakens gradually out of a dream, a delicious, grotesque, impossible dream, to feel again the realities pressing into her soul.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening