z

Young Writers Society

Free Reviews (until September)

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:25 am
Bickazer says...

It's summer. I'm bored. Let me review.

I will only look at fantasy or science fiction offerings for now. Sorry, but I have to limit the pool in order to get requests for stories that will interest me. I will not finish reading a piece unless it manages to capture my interest in some slight way. There is a much higher chance that I will take interest in a speculative fiction story than a general, historical, or romantic story.

I can be bothered to make exceptions. Most likely I will make an exception if I know you, or have read your writing before and know it to be...well, interesting.

I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DO POETRY.

This thread will close by August 30th, when I have to go to my college for orientation. I anticipate a busy freshman year so I will not review at all throughout the 2010-2011 school year. If you give me a novel to review, chances are I will follow it until the school year starts, unless I end up liking it enough to review it instead of studying.

Until then, you can request reviews from me that look like this:
topic67509.html
topic67928.html
topic67232-15.html

I am very nitpicky. I once wrote seven paragraphs analyzing a single sentence. I will tear apart your work at the sentence level. My comments focus on sentence structure, concision, word choice, and detail. I also do make plot and character comments, sprinkled throughout the review and gathered into an "overall comments" section at the end. In sci fi and fantasy, I look for internal consistency in a world as well as common, easily abused tropes.

My style is very much tl;dr. If you find it tl;dr, then just scroll past the entire review and read the little sentence labeled "tl;dr" at the end. I wouldn't advise that, though. If you want short reviews you shouldn't be asking me.

It takes about an hour on a good day to do one of these monsters, more if the story is longer.

If your story looks way too long (I'd say I draw my limit at about 5000~6000 words--but the guidelines say 2000 words for a reason!), I won't read it at all. No refunds, no apologies, unless you chop it up into a bunch of smaller pieces.

Now request away. I should keep up a good pace (I'm aiming on three monster reviews a day) untl the summer ends.
Last edited by Bickazer on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:53 am
zankoku_na_tenshi says...

*peeks in nervously* Hi there. ^^; I was wondering if you might be interested in reviewing, at least the first chapter of, my NaNoWriMo project, Assembly?

It's a bit of a mess to explain, but I guess I'd say it's a subplot-heavy deconstruction of Urban Fantasy tropes (most especially The Masquerade) with loads and loads of characters and character arcs, tons of fun in-group conflicts, and, in true Zankoku fashion, the joys of angst for everyone. XD I'll admit that it's still a little weak, even after some editing, and could use some help, so of course if you're bored by it, you don't have to force yourself to read it. XDD But I think its better constructed and has more depth than LoSLoR did, so if you enjoyed that (though I can't imagine why XD) Assembly is probably rather better.

In return, I promise to get my butt moving on Linked Worlds edits. XDD
"The world is not beautiful, therefore, it is." --Kino's Journey

Hey, how about a free review?

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:01 pm
Bickazer says...

Ah, I remember you talking about this project before! :D I'll get on it immediately.

As for The Linked Worlds, don't worry about it. I've kind of...put that project aside for now? XD I suck at this commitment thing...
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:06 am
DreamyAlice says...

Hello, I am one of the res crew mods here on YWS. This is a message just to inform you that I will lock and archive this thread as it is not active anymore. We have to archive and lock the inactive threads to keep the forum organized so no worries if you'd like to reopen it at any point in the future please contact a current resources moderator, we would be happy to reopen it for you ^-^

-ALICE
Imagination is a superpower. Use it well!

Remember: no stress allowed. Have fun, and learn from your fellow writers - that's what storybooks are all about.
— Wolfical