Young Writers Society

Rach-and-Ribbit Reviews, Inc.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:31 pm
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

Welcome to Rach and Ribbit's Reviews, Incorporated! We are currently OPEN for business.

Yes:

+ Any original fiction (aka, not fan fiction)
+ Especially fond of fantasy and science fiction.
+ Romance writers proceed only at your own risk.
+ Please warn me if there are hurt and/or suffering animals involved

Nope: FanFiction, Poetry, Art, Photography, Lyrics, Gushy Teen Romances

Cost: Nothing! (But I am a fan of bribes...such as pictures adorable kittens or chocolate)

Instructions: if interested, post a link (or else) and a short description (title, genre, category, etc.) and specify what, if anything, you want me to look at in particular.

The Rules:
--If you post more than one thing (e.g., chapter one and chapter two) at a time, I reserve the right to only review the first one. Re-request if you want me to read the second (or third, or whatever it happens to be)
--Respond to my review so that I know you saw it. You don't have to like or thank me. You can even yell at me.
--Patience. Or else.

My Reviews and Reviewing Style
--I will nevertell you something I don't mean.
--My main priority is making you a better writer, improving your writing in general. The piece itself is secondary in my considerations.
--I do not "line-by-line" critique. If you want one of those, go somewhere else.
--I like to have conversations with you, the writer, in the critique. As a result, the reviews are rambly.

Qualifications, Specialties, Etc.
--I'm very, very good with American English grammar and writing mechanics. I will seek out and find the structural weaknesses in your writing and show you how to fix them--and leave the fixing to you.
--I'm very, very into plot.
--I know the epic fantasy genre very well.
--In the end, I'll say whatever comes to mind while I'm writing the review/critique.
--This is my favorite out of the reviews I've done: White Eyes Part One, first part of review
--I have a B.A. with honors in German and Linguistics and write professionally for an audience of up to 80,000 people.

Notes:
--I'm busy, so be patient
--I'm in an odd time zone, so be patient
--I will review through PM
--I will "just read and respond" to something--i.e., focus on ideas and potential
--I will review your entire novel
--I will be adopt godnovels
--I will line edit for a price
--Type "Ribbit is awesome" somewhere in your request post so I know you read this through
Last edited by RacheDrache on Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:58 am, edited 35 times in total.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:47 pm
View Likes
blackbird12 says...

Hi there! Would you mind reviewing this piece for me?

post722000.html#p722000

It's Seashell, a short romantic piece. With the help of a few others, I've been able to polish it, but now I'm wondering, is there anything more that I can improve upon? And most importantly, does this piece have any emotional impact on the reader? I'd like some advice on that because I wonder if the "plot" is just too insubstantial, and if it should be more thoroughly expanded. Thanks in advance for giving it a look!
If I had wings, I would have opened them.
I would have risen from the ground.

-Mary Oliver

Random avatar

Reviews: 23
Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:17 am
View Likes
tigs6969 says...

Hi, wouldnt mind a review on this
topic65975.html chapter 1
topic66117.html chapter 2, please use this chapters novel feature to get 3,4 as 1 got mixed up... long complicated matter
As you may see everyone has gone through and nitpicked so I just mainly wanna know how you like the plot, how the dialogue is reading for the girls as im a 21 year old male :P
thanks

253 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:20 pm
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

Blackbird, Tigs--reviewed.

Random avatar

Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:25 pm
View Likes
blackbird12 says...

Me again! :smt003 Saw this thread was looking a little lonely, so... Mind doing another critique?

topic67702.html

A general fiction short story. I've edited it, polished it, so I don't think there's any SPaG problems, but I'd like some advice on how to improve it in general, what parts should be expanded, what needs to clarified, ryv. I know that's really vague but you were very helpful with the last piece.

-Mary Oliver

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:56 pm
View Likes
Sins says...

Heya Rachael :D

Would you mind reviewing a chapter of my story for me? It's the fourth chapter, is that okay? I noticed that you said you don't like reviewing random chapters, but there's a short summary in the post explaining what's happened so far. It clears everything up, so if you read that quickly, it should be okay. I understand if you don't want to do it though!

post746933.html#p746933

Thanks a bunch XD
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:48 pm
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

Blackbird, Skins--I'm on it! :D

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:35 am
View Likes
seeminglymeaningless says...

I'm really surprised no one has bribed you yet o.O

As soon as I found your thread, I couldn't help but ask for a review because I badly wanted to bribe you :P

Me: If you review my work, I'll break your arm in three places and wrap it in a $100 DOLLAR BILL!

You: Are you threatening me? Or... bribing me?

Me: What an insulting accusation! Take that back before I pull out your spleen and then drive you to the hospital... in your BRAND NEW CAR!

Spoiler! :
lol yes, I stole that from the animated Drawn Together series. I'm sorry :P

You: *silence*

Me: Well... could you review this for me? It's been reviewed a lot already, but I've changed it heaps *smiles*

-----------------------------

EDIT:

Rachael, that was a fantastic in depth review. Thank you so much :)
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:10 pm
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

Now that was an effective bribe, Seemingly!

And Skins, reviewed, albeit late!

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

Random avatar

Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:01 pm
View Likes
blackbird12 says...

Well, I feel sheepish for doing this, but... Would you mind checking this out? It could use your terrific insight.

topic68033.html

I won't take this one down before you get a chance to review it, promise! :smt003 The Katydid piece is undergoing a massive rehaul,and I put on the backburner for a while. Might just keep the idea of it in my head for a while, mull it over.

-Mary Oliver

253 Reviews

Supporter

253 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:51 am
RacheDrache says...

...shameless bump.

377 Reviews

Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:20 am
View Likes

:P Hey Rach.

Bribe for today: I'll airmail you a newborn fluffy, mewling black kitten with blue eyes and white boots! Baaaw!

Or:

If you don't like cats, I'll ship you a soft, fat, full of folds puppy!

Or:

:3

Could you review this for me? It's a bit old, but I've written new material at the end, and I would really like to continue it. It's titled Alone, and it's a science fiction :)

- Jai

253 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:46 am
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

You have such amazing bribes, Jai. I mean, really.

Most definitely reviewed.

377 Reviews

Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:24 pm
View Likes

Thank you for your incredible review, Rach.

I'll reply to it in depth as soon as I catch up with all the physics (electromagnetism), algebra/calculus lectures I missed (respectively 3, 2 - each will probably take an hour to take notes for. Why do I do this to myself?!).

I guess I could always:

Be careful or be roadkill.
— Calvin