Young Writers Society

Rach-and-Ribbit Reviews, Inc.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:31 pm
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

Welcome to Rach and Ribbit's Reviews, Incorporated! We are currently OPEN for business.

Yes:

+ Any original fiction (aka, not fan fiction)
+ Especially fond of fantasy and science fiction.
+ Romance writers proceed only at your own risk.
+ Please warn me if there are hurt and/or suffering animals involved

Nope: FanFiction, Poetry, Art, Photography, Lyrics, Gushy Teen Romances

Cost: Nothing! (But I am a fan of bribes...such as pictures adorable kittens or chocolate)

Instructions: if interested, post a link (or else) and a short description (title, genre, category, etc.) and specify what, if anything, you want me to look at in particular.

The Rules:
--If you post more than one thing (e.g., chapter one and chapter two) at a time, I reserve the right to only review the first one. Re-request if you want me to read the second (or third, or whatever it happens to be)
--Respond to my review so that I know you saw it. You don't have to like or thank me. You can even yell at me.
--Patience. Or else.

My Reviews and Reviewing Style
--I will nevertell you something I don't mean.
--My main priority is making you a better writer, improving your writing in general. The piece itself is secondary in my considerations.
--I do not "line-by-line" critique. If you want one of those, go somewhere else.
--I like to have conversations with you, the writer, in the critique. As a result, the reviews are rambly.

Qualifications, Specialties, Etc.
--I'm very, very good with American English grammar and writing mechanics. I will seek out and find the structural weaknesses in your writing and show you how to fix them--and leave the fixing to you.
--I'm very, very into plot.
--I know the epic fantasy genre very well.
--In the end, I'll say whatever comes to mind while I'm writing the review/critique.
--This is my favorite out of the reviews I've done: White Eyes Part One, first part of review
--I have a B.A. with honors in German and Linguistics and write professionally for an audience of up to 80,000 people.

Notes:
--I'm busy, so be patient
--I'm in an odd time zone, so be patient
--I will review through PM
--I will "just read and respond" to something--i.e., focus on ideas and potential
--I will review your entire novel
--I will be adopt godnovels
--I will line edit for a price
--Type "Ribbit is awesome" somewhere in your request post so I know you read this through
Last edited by RacheDrache on Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:58 am, edited 35 times in total.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:47 pm
View Likes
blackbird12 says...

Hi there! Would you mind reviewing this piece for me?

post722000.html#p722000

It's Seashell, a short romantic piece. With the help of a few others, I've been able to polish it, but now I'm wondering, is there anything more that I can improve upon? And most importantly, does this piece have any emotional impact on the reader? I'd like some advice on that because I wonder if the "plot" is just too insubstantial, and if it should be more thoroughly expanded. Thanks in advance for giving it a look!
If I had wings, I would have opened them.
I would have risen from the ground.

-Mary Oliver

Random avatar

Reviews: 23
Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:17 am
View Likes
tigs6969 says...

Hi, wouldnt mind a review on this
topic65975.html chapter 1
topic66117.html chapter 2, please use this chapters novel feature to get 3,4 as 1 got mixed up... long complicated matter
As you may see everyone has gone through and nitpicked so I just mainly wanna know how you like the plot, how the dialogue is reading for the girls as im a 21 year old male :P
thanks

253 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:20 pm
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

Blackbird, Tigs--reviewed.

Random avatar

Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:25 pm
View Likes
blackbird12 says...

Me again! :smt003 Saw this thread was looking a little lonely, so... Mind doing another critique?

topic67702.html

A general fiction short story. I've edited it, polished it, so I don't think there's any SPaG problems, but I'd like some advice on how to improve it in general, what parts should be expanded, what needs to clarified, ryv. I know that's really vague but you were very helpful with the last piece.

-Mary Oliver

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:56 pm
View Likes
Sins says...

Heya Rachael :D

Would you mind reviewing a chapter of my story for me? It's the fourth chapter, is that okay? I noticed that you said you don't like reviewing random chapters, but there's a short summary in the post explaining what's happened so far. It clears everything up, so if you read that quickly, it should be okay. I understand if you don't want to do it though!

post746933.html#p746933

Thanks a bunch XD
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:48 pm
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

Blackbird, Skins--I'm on it! :D

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:35 am
View Likes
seeminglymeaningless says...

I'm really surprised no one has bribed you yet o.O

As soon as I found your thread, I couldn't help but ask for a review because I badly wanted to bribe you :P

Me: If you review my work, I'll break your arm in three places and wrap it in a $100 DOLLAR BILL!

You: Are you threatening me? Or... bribing me?

Me: What an insulting accusation! Take that back before I pull out your spleen and then drive you to the hospital... in your BRAND NEW CAR!

Spoiler! :
lol yes, I stole that from the animated Drawn Together series. I'm sorry :P

You: *silence*

Me: Well... could you review this for me? It's been reviewed a lot already, but I've changed it heaps *smiles*

-----------------------------

EDIT:

Rachael, that was a fantastic in depth review. Thank you so much :)
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:10 pm
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

Now that was an effective bribe, Seemingly!

And Skins, reviewed, albeit late!

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

Random avatar

Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:01 pm
View Likes
blackbird12 says...

Well, I feel sheepish for doing this, but... Would you mind checking this out? It could use your terrific insight.

topic68033.html

I won't take this one down before you get a chance to review it, promise! :smt003 The Katydid piece is undergoing a massive rehaul,and I put on the backburner for a while. Might just keep the idea of it in my head for a while, mull it over.

-Mary Oliver

253 Reviews

Supporter

253 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:51 am
RacheDrache says...

...shameless bump.

377 Reviews

Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:20 am
View Likes

:P Hey Rach.

Bribe for today: I'll airmail you a newborn fluffy, mewling black kitten with blue eyes and white boots! Baaaw!

Or:

If you don't like cats, I'll ship you a soft, fat, full of folds puppy!

Or:

:3

Could you review this for me? It's a bit old, but I've written new material at the end, and I would really like to continue it. It's titled Alone, and it's a science fiction :)

- Jai

253 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:46 am
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

You have such amazing bribes, Jai. I mean, really.

Most definitely reviewed.

377 Reviews

Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:24 pm
View Likes

Thank you for your incredible review, Rach.

I'll reply to it in depth as soon as I catch up with all the physics (electromagnetism), algebra/calculus lectures I missed (respectively 3, 2 - each will probably take an hour to take notes for. Why do I do this to myself?!).

I guess I could always:

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...
— Dr. Seuss