z

Young Writers Society

Seek and You Shall Find...A VERY Thorough Review Indeed

315 Reviews

Reviews: 315
Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:19 am
Navita says...

Hi everyone!

Only just discovered this area of the site, so best get down to business immediately. Firstly, I LOVE reviewing, and will be very pleased indeed to critique work - just PM me with the link to your piece - but DO give me some time to think, as I love a good analysis session.

What I will definitely review: (Can be any rating, or no rating):

- ALL poetry - this is my forte, and you can be assured that I will do a good job of it!
- Some short stories: Action/Adventure, Fantasy, Historical Fiction, General Fiction
- Nonfiction - essays, articles, debating speeches, everything.

What I may review: Fanfiction and sci fi.

What I would rather not have to review: Romance short stories, art/photography, lyrics, scripts.

Style of reviewing:

I generally adapt my style to fit what exactly I am reviewing. I am NOT AT ALL nit-picky about spelling, grammar and punctuation etc - it's more the ideas and how you deliver them that matter to me - so don't expect me to fix mistakes that WORD can fix!

For poetry, I usually go through stanza by stanza, pointing out my favourite lines, ones that didn't work as well, and what meaning I'm getting from them. Then, I go over the BIGGER PICTURE (which is very important, in my opinion!) on what you're really saying throughout the poem, and how it makes the audience feel/imagine. I offer critiques as well as suggestions on specific improvements.

For stories, usually I do it in reverse - I look at the bigger picture first to get an overall sense of it, and then I'll go back and do it part by part, depending on how long the story is. I will lead you through the story as someone who has never read it before will read it, and show you where you might improve.

Above all: I want to see some style, flair, passion, a real drive to write and succeed! I want something unique and exciting - or something that YOU truly believe can become so :D

Like I said - just PM me, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible! :lol:

315 Reviews

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:40 pm
Navita says...

Hi again - just to let you all know, I've done about 60 reviews in the past fortnight - and you might recognise my name from the current leaderboard, too!

Most people have been sending me PM's with the link to their posts, and so far I have received some very good feedback from writers. Feel free to simply post the link to your story in a reply to this message, too, if that's easier.

If you would like to see a sampling of my reviews, here are some links so you can see FOR YOURSELF the analysis:

post687684.html#p687684

post690269.html#p690269

post690729.html#p690729

viewtopic.php?t=62091

post691832.html#p691832

I expect you'll be begging me for reviews just by having a glance at what I've already done...
Last edited by Navita on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:49 pm
Sins says...

Hey there :)

I'm not sure if you'll be willing to, but could you review these for me?

Can You See Me? Chapter One/Prologue
Can You See Me? Chapter Two ~ Part One
Can You See Me? Chapter Two ~ Part Two
Can You See Me? Chapter Three
Can You See Me? Chapter Four

If you aren't willing to review them all, that's fine. :smt001 Could you just review the last one?

Thanks,
xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:53 pm
MiaParamore says...

I was just wondering if you can review my novel. It has many chapters though so its your wish if you want to turn them down.
Here's the link where you'll find all the chapters of my novel:A Criminal's Heart

You have full freedom to turn it down of course. :D
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

315 Reviews

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:31 am
Navita says...

Since I've been getting some novel-reviewing requests, I thought I'd better make myself clear here:

Novel Reviews:

- I will read the novel from the very beginning to know what the story is, to help me review. However, I want to read the MOST up-to-date version of the novel - i.e. the one after you have taken into account ALL comments and suggestions already passed on the first few chapters.

- Since there is little point in reviewing something after it has already been reviewed in a very detailed manner by others, I will stick to only reviewing the last chapter in detail - for the rest of the novel, I will write brief notes that cover broad points that I think need to be addressed.

- As I am prepared to spend some time and effort into my reviews, I only think it fair that you also give me time - you can expect up to a week for a review, since novels take time, and also since I'll be doing more than one at the same time. Plus, I have more time over weekends to spend on this sort of thing :D.

Okay, now for some specific notes to writers:

>>Jiggity: I have already said that I'll review this Saturday (in our timezone) - last chapter only.

>>Skins: thanks for the chapters, and expect something over the weekend on the latest chapter. Are the chapters you PM'd me the most reworked and rewritten versions?

>>Shubhi: I'd like some more time, since I'm bogged down with the other two, and I want to do a good job of it. Again, latest chapter only to be given a really in-depth review. Tell me how soon you think is reasonable, taking into account my eleven school subjects, fifteen extracurricular activities, the fact that it's my last year of school, so exams are hardest. Also: are these chapters the most revised versions?

Everyone, feel free to PM me, as that's the fastest way to communicate with regards to the above.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:54 pm
Sins says...

>>Skins: thanks for the chapters, and expect something over the weekend on the latest chapter. Are the chapters you PM'd me the most reworked and rewritten versions?

Yeah, they are the most recent and reworked versions. Thanks a bunch :wink:
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:29 am
Maddy says...

Hey Navita!
I have a piece that I would love if you could review.
topic62138.html
It's classified as fan-fiction because the theme is similar to Goosebumps, but it is a story and plot created by me and my brother.
Thanks!
-If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!
-"Careful with that light at the end of the tunnel, it might be another train coming."

This awesome post bought to you by me. :)

315 Reviews

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:36 pm
Navita says...

Hey Maddy - I've got three other novels to review this weekend, and to do them all justice, I'm going to have to put yours on hold for now - would you mind if I waited till my next full slot of time on next weekend and did it then? It's just - novels are LONGER so take far more of my time :P. PM me if you've got any questions.

And...for any further people wanting me to do a novel review...I'll say it's closed for now - but I am still happy to do poetry and short stories!!

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:08 am
MiaParamore says...

Hi there Navita. Its okay with me if you take time. And yes they are the most recent revised versions.
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

315 Reviews

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:20 am
Navita says...

Okay, so Shubhi and Maddy, I'm going to make a mental note to self that I'm reviewing yours this weekend!

And, in case you didn't read my last post, for now, it's poems and short stories only - no novel chapters for a while, please! (I'll let you know when that's open again :D).

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:06 pm
Lava says...

Hey Navita!

Well, I could do with some critiques on this : topic62786.html. It's non-fiction.
I'm guessing you're loaded, so I don't mind if you take a while.

Thanks.
~Lava
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

315 Reviews

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:07 pm
Navita says...

Hey Lava! I'll get to it in the next couple of days...I'm really excited to have something non-fiction-wise to review, since I have been missing that - so thanks.

I feel like I need a good dose of poetry or short story as well - anyone else like a review?

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:28 am
DreamyAlice says...

Hello, I am one of the res crew mods here on YWS. This is a message just to inform you that I will lock and archive this thread as it is not active anymore. We have to archive and lock the inactive threads to keep the forum organized so no worries if you'd like to reopen it at any point in the future please contact a current resources moderator, we would be happy to reopen it for you ^-^

-ALICE
Imagination is a superpower. Use it well!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss