Young Writers Society

Reviews ((Closed) for the moment)

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:57 am
smorgishborg says...

*Closed, submit to this contest instead!*

Spoiler! :
I've resisted putting up one of these threads, because I've always wanted to retain the freedom to review what I want to review, and to abstain on the stuff that doesn't interest me.

But these last couple days, I've been searching around in the writing forums, reading pieces randomly, and literally every piece I've found has been by someone with less than 10 posts, no reviews, and the poem, needless to say if awful. I can't keep going on like this.

So basically, tell me what to read, and I'll review it. Revive my faith that there is still solid writing going on here.

I'll read pretty much any genre.

I will not review the piece if
- The writer has less than 25 critiques.
- It's fanfiction

I will probably not review the piece if
- It's not something the writer considers among their best work.
- It's the first chapter of a novel that will never be finished.
- It's a 'short story' that fits into my browser window.
- It's written in any kind of weird font color.
- It's prefaced by an explanation of what it's about.
- It's full of vampires, dwarves, elves, teen angst, or the protagonist is a perfect, beautiful teenage girl whom I suspect is actually a foil for the writer's insecurities.

All I ask is that you give me a little time, and I'll get to it eventually. You don't necessarily need to post your own work, I just want to read good stuff, and make comments to make it better. Maybe that's naive. We'll see.

Oh, and finally, there's absolutely nothing that guarantees that I'll make it through your story. If I don't review it, I'll PM you my thoughts.

- smorg

Checklist:
La Rose - Kamas
Water by Elinor Brynn

Revisit?
The Inspection by Npethys
Last edited by smorgishborg on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:54 am, edited 8 times in total.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

It cost $7 million to build the Titanic, and $200 million to make a film about it.
The plastic ties on the end of shoelaces are called aglets

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:02 am
Kamas says...

Ah, good to see you post this Smorg.

If you don't mind reviewing something in French, then this please.If not, wish you all the best with the reviews.

(Since you are looking for something to look at, this here is a decent piece)
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:35 pm
Galerius says...

smorgishborg wrote:Revive my faith that there is still solid writing going on here.

You're in for an unpleasant surprise.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:52 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Heya! If you get the chance, could you review part 2 of a story I'm writing? There's a link to part one in it, If you want to understand what's happening. After I get a few more reviews I'll post the third and final part.

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic59756.html

Thanks!
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:14 am
Kamas says...

Galerius wrote:
smorgishborg wrote:Revive my faith that there is still solid writing going on here.

You're in for an unpleasant surprise.

Don't be so horribly discouraging Galerius Valerius Maximianus. Even if you're probably right.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:03 pm
Elinor says...

Hey! I've got a haiku up that I'd appreciate if you could check out.

topic60095.html

Thanks in advance.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:54 pm
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

It's a parody of what you said you wouldn't review. The protagonist is the General of the US Army. :P

topic60115.html
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:33 pm
Nephthys says...

I'd love a review on my story, The Inspection (Part 2of 2). In order to understand it, you'll need to read Part 1, but both parts together are only about 2200 words.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- There is no sin except stupidity - Oscar Wilde -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun May 09, 2010 12:47 pm
erratik_statik says...

You're looking for a wife in chernobyl; it's shot to hell.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas. . . . . .

"The Lovesong of J Alfred Prufrock" T.S Eliot

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:51 am
DreamyAlice says...

Hello, I am one of the res crew mods here on YWS. This is a message just to inform you that I will lock and archive this thread as it is not active anymore. We have to archive and lock the inactive threads to keep the forum organized so no worries if you'd like to reopen it at any point in the future please contact a current resources moderator, we would be happy to reopen it for you ^-^

-ALICE
Imagination is a superpower. Use it well!

The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices; to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicions can destroy. A thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own.
— Rod Serling, Twilight Zone