z

Young Writers Society

When Requesting a Review [Must Read]

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:15 pm
Rosendorn says...

Please remember to only ask for one review at a time. The people advertising their services have lives, and other requests to get done. Asking for more than one request at a time can be overwhelming. If you want a critic to review your novel, ask them to review the first part only. If you like their review, ask them to review the subsequent part(s). Even then, be careful when doing so. Some critics might be very busy and not have time to follow your novel.

Also, follow a reviewer's guidelines when asking for a review. In the first post of a thread, reviewers will have what they will and will not review. Look at those guidelines before asking the member to review your work. You will get a better review in the end. You also won't have to worry about your request being turned down because it doesn't fit with the guidelines.

It's a very good idea to be polite and curious when asking for a review. If you sound like you're whining for a review, then you might get one, but the critic probably won't be happy with you. Also, if you beg for reviews then other people's opinion of you goes down. As mentioned, critics have lives and are people. Always remember the person doing the reviews.

Links to the work in question are also appreciated. It's much easier to find a work through a link than digging through a person's portfolio.

Remember to be considerate when asking for reviews. Remember the critic has a life and their specialties. Asking for one or two reviews at a time, following the guidelines a critic has set, makes life easier on the critic and gets you a better review, faster.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:38 pm
TheEvilWithin says...

Also, don't send them messages asking if they are still going to do it. Just be patient. That used to happen to me on other forums.

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:26 am
DreamyAlice says...

Hello, I am one of the res crew mods here on YWS. This is a message just to inform you that I will lock and archive this thread as it is not active anymore. We have to archive and lock the inactive threads to keep the forum organized so no worries if you'd like to reopen it at any point in the future please contact a current resources moderator, we would be happy to reopen it for you ^-^

-ALICE
Imagination is a superpower. Use it well!

I see no reason to celebrate the random timing of natural events by eating poison and singing.
— Dilbert