z

Young Writers Society

The Captain's Critiques

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:38 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I be Cpt. Smurf (but please, call me Kyle), and this be my critique requesting thread! I have two and a half months of general nothingness ahead of me to bump up my review count, and this looks like the perfect place to help make that process much easier!

What will I critique?

I'll critique most fiction, but I do have an order of preference:

* Fantasy and Other fiction
* Action/Adventure and Science fiction
* Romance and Historical fiction

So bear in mind that requests for Fantasy and Other critiques will be given first priority, with Action/Adventure and Science requests coming second, & etc.

I may do Non-Fiction, depending on what mood I'm in and on the subject matter. If it doesn't interest me I won't do it, and all Fiction will probably be given priority over Non. But feel free to post any Non-Fiction requests, just in case. Finally, I may well try a few script critiques, so don't hesitate to send in requests for those.

What won't I critique?

No Poetry, in any genre. Believe me, you don't want me critiquing your poetry works (poetic ineptitude FTW!). Also, no Art, Lyrics, or Fan-Fiction.

Also, I tend to set a limit on things I critique to pieces which have less than five reviews. So if you have something which has five, thorough, well thought out critiques on it, unless you're absolutely desperate, don't ask me to look at it.

What do I focus on in critiques?

This can differ from critique to critique, depending on the problems/improvements needed in the piece. Generally, I focus on dialogue, use of description/imagery, sentence structure, show/tell rules, character development, etc. I usually don't focus too much on grammar/punctuation/spelling, as most of that can easily be rectified on proof-reading.

What's my maximum number of requests?

Generally, critiques take me well over an hour or two to do, so no more than three requests at once (and preferably two). Also, please don't make another request for a different piece before I've finished the ones you've already requested - though of course, if I'm taking forever to come up with the goods, a friendly PM to nudge me in the right direction is perfectly welcome.

If, by any chance, I get loads of requests, then I will cap them and stop taking them so that I can deal with the ones I already have. Notifications of such caps will, of course, be posted in this thread.

What do I want in return?

Nothing much - a thank you via PM or my guestbook (the latter being preferable - public thanks are so much more fun than private ones!) would be nice, and if you have a few points to spare, I'm not going to refuse them. But there's nothing huge I'd like in return. However, when I start posting my own stories again, critiques of those will be very welcome (and, indeed, critiques of ones I've posted already - though there's slim pickin's).

Some examples of my critiques (look through the threads, they're there)

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/post276645.html
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic26804.html
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic26860.html

Remember to include the link to your piece in your post - the easier you make the request, the quicker I'll be able to critique it.

So get requesting - I'm here, ready and willing, all summer!

~Kyle
Last edited by Cpt. Smurf on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:03 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

I'm still needing help with R.ed R.iding H.ood:wolfish boy in the Romantic fiction. There's two parts separate.

There up at the top of the forum as far as I can tell. Hey and I can wait.

See ya,
-Amber
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:27 pm
Alainna says...

Hey Kyle *glomps*

topic29530.html

I know it's not that long but if you could take a look at it I'd be very happy. I have no idea where it's going so advice would be great!

If you don't want to do a full critique on it then just pm me and tell me what you thought of it - I need opinions!

Thanks!!!

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:05 am
Twit says...

*pokes*

Is this still open?

I know you said only if you're desperate, but here be a desperate twit. See my cloak and ten gallon water bottle.

topic29564.html

If you can give a crit of each chapter, then I'd shower you with elephants, but if you don't have time, then a general impression would be just as nice and elephant-shower-worthy. :)

You have to scroll down the page to get the post with the Gandhi quote, called "Drych-ddelwedd." (See if you can unscramble the chapter titles. :wink: :roll: )
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:00 pm
BigBadBear says...

Murder & Investigation 1 - Before the Murder

Murder & Investigation 2 - Discovery of the Murder

Eh, sorry for the lame titles. The first one has like a bajallion critiques, but the last one has none. Thank you so much.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:42 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

TL G-Wooster wrote:*pokes*

Is this still open?

Yup ^.^

Actually, I'm glad you poked - I was about to poke it myself, actually :P

I'll try and get on with all of those as soon as possible - probably tomorrow (horrible heat means staying in the cool indoors is nicer than going outside :P)
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:19 pm
DreamyAlice says...

Hello, I am one of the res crew mods here on YWS. This is a message just to inform you that I will lock and archive this thread as it is not active anymore. We have to archive and lock the inactive threads to keep the forum organized so no worries, if you'd like to reopen it at any point in the future please contact a current resources moderator, we would be happy to reopen it for you ^-^

-Alice
Imagination is a superpower. Use it well!

With great power... comes great need to take a nap. Wake me up later.
— Rick Riordan, The Heroes of Olympus