z

Young Writers Society

Mailice´s Palace of Reviews

1232 Reviews

Reviews: 1232
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:38 pm
MailicedeNamedy says...

I accept requests

Welcome to my palace! I am Mailice and you are a seeker for an answer? Perhaps I can help you.

I love to review and I also like to read a lot of different things. There's really no genre I don't like because in the end it always depends on how it's written. Why did I open this thread? I realise that I would like to learn new things, and also maybe try new styles to improve my reviews.

It usually depends on the text itself, where I then put a focus on something specific and then cling to it. For example, I really like to explore characters and go a little deeper into the background. I also like to observe the writing, descriptions, little details that make the story come alive. I also like to try and review not just the chapter, but the story up to that point. Grammar is a bit more difficult and I reserve the right to be brief.

What am I reviewing?

Novels, scripts and short stories. I prefer to start from the very beginning of a novel, so I can get the hang of the characters and also how the writing style has improved. You can also ask that I read a specific chapter.
Note: I'm not a big fan of nonsensical violence, racism or anything like that. So please be nice. :D

What am I not reviewing?

Poetry. It's not that I don't like poetry, but I don't want to be reminded of my school days and dictatorial teachers who don't allow any other opinion than theirs.
Fanfiction.I only read this extremely (very extremely) rarely because I usually have no idea about a certain subject and I think that with fanfiction it is also important to create a faithful representation of the characters. So I can't help with that. But if it's fanfiction that I know about, I'll take a look at it.
Other. Everything that does not directly fall into the above category is here.

Miscellaneous

I don't know if I'll get many requests or not, so give me a week to write the review. (Changes may come and if there is something that hinders me, I will contact you). If a review has been done I will like the post, if for some reason I give a rejection it will be done as a post without argumentation.

If there is anything in particular that you would like to have in the review, please feel free to write it.
Your post should definitely have a link to your story and also a little background info in case I get into a chapter that isn't the first. Even for the first chapter, please put a brief sentence, what genre it is and what I should expect.

I also like to review older texts that have been around for a few years, but if there are already enough reviews, mine will become shorter because I don't want to repeat what others have already written.

Whether the review is helpful in the end or not is up to you. Since I usually write reviews with my feelings and my opinion, it can sometimes happen that I draw strange comparisons. :D I prefer to live in a story, so there will be some conclusions I will draw.

What do I want in return?

Your first-born child and cookies. :D Oh, and cranberries and cherries!

Here´s a link with an overview of my reviews:
Mailices Reviews

Sincerely,

Mailice
Reality is a prison and time is its guard

I´m just a random girl with gentle manners

Every bad voice in your head was once outside

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:30 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Hey Mailice,

It seems like I will be the first one to formally request a review from you. Your reviews have always been extremely insightful and they have helped me notice several things about my writing.

I would really appreciate it if you will review my short story, Across The Horizon. Its a story about a brother who has recently lost his sister. It is definitely not my best work, but its the only one I have written in a while, and I need to understand where I am falling behind in order to be able to beat my block.

Thank you!
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:01 pm
View Likes
Fishr says...

Memento Mori

Pretty, 🙏 pretty please.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

1232 Reviews

Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:40 pm
MailicedeNamedy says...

@Fishr

OK, the review will be up on Saturday / Sunday! :D

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:45 pm
View Likes
Fishr says...

Thank you!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:12 pm
View Likes
Glauke says...

Hi, I would love it if you could give me some feedback on my new short story Hypoxia. I haven't written in this medium in a long time and I'm trying to shake the rust off. Any feedback helps! Thanks in advance.
❁❁❁

be still, sad heart, and cease repining
behind the clouds is the sun still shining

1232 Reviews

Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:59 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

@Glauke

The review will be up until Friday! :D

Reviews: 0
Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:15 am
elli4975 says...

I would love to hear your feedback on my short story: A Warm Embrace.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:30 am
Mikatsune says...

Hi there! Please review my short story, The AI war. Thanks. Also I'm not that good, so please be easy on me. Thanks!

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:07 pm
KocoCoko says...

no idea if this is still open, but if it is, i'd love if you could read the first chapter to my story Wakefield, Wyoming. 1941. It'd mean a lot haha.

The story is sort of a dark comedy, supernatural type of narrative, but it's very character driven and almost slice of life/found family? If you like stuff like that, I think it'll be an enjoyable read (tw for some blood and violence! Not bad or graphic, but still). If you could, I'd especially like thoughts on the characters, since they drive the story more than anything else.

Thanks again!
they/she or she/they

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
— Captain James T. Kirk