I want to beta read your novel!

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:35 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

@MailicedeNamedy - you got it! :)

@BluesClues - :eyes: I'll bother you until it's done because romance <3

@Rook - you got it!! If I can't start in January, I should be able to in February :)

@Magebird - oooh is it the one that I commented on wanting to read when it's ready?? :eyes:
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:35 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

It is! :)
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:40 pm
Rascalover says...

I would love a review on my realistic short story called My Roots:

My Roots

If you like what you see, lest me know because I have turned this into a novel and may be posting it in the novel forum here on YWS!

Thank you so much!!
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:20 am
Carlito says...

pst i'm taking requests for 2023 beta reads!

is your book finished and ready now? - I can start in january!
is your book not finished yet but you want to be on my waitlist for 2023? - let me know when you want me to check in!

<3
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:39 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

OKAY. So I think I'm on the border of what you are willing to read??? I am not sure. I figured I would fill out an application anyway and, if it's not something you want to read, then feel free to deny me. ^_^

1. Title of your book:

Conqueror Rising

2. Genre of your book (or your best guess at the genre if you’re not sure):

It's... a YA fantasy that feels more like a gothic romance. (Forbidden love, blood feud between families, but like... with mythic creatures who mostly like to pose as human, even though they can change into Swans occasionally.)

3. Word count of your book:

It's about 110,000.

4. Is it on YWS or would you like to send it to me?

I would have to send it to you.

5. A short blurb about what it’s about (don’t spoil the ending or any big twists)

Gah... I suck at blurbs. Here you go...

Spoiler! :
To say that Solea resents her stepsister would be the understatement of the year. Her stepsister is petty and dominating on a good day and downright cruel at her worst. Worst yet, because her stepsister is the Lady -- a literal goddess reborn into a mortal form -- Solea is expected to serve her stepsister without thought or question.

Living in the shadow of her stepsister, Solea is resigned to suffer silently through her stepsister's petty tyranny. Until she meets a mysterious man named Cyrus. Cyrus is everything she has ever wanted. He is kind and charismatic with a tragic backstory that mirrors her own. Better yet, he acknowledges Solea, not as a mere servant to the Lady, but as a person of her own. Nor is he afraid to stand up against the Lady's tyranny -- especially for Solea.

The only problem? Cyrus might also be a Conqueror -- an existential threat both to her family and to the Lady reborn. Because of this, Solea knows that there can be no future with him, unless she chooses to abandon her family, which would shatter her already broken family apart.

And yet, as dark family secrets come out and circumstances throw Cyrus and Solea together more, Solea eventually finds herself confronted with a choice: to stay with her family, as broken as it is, or to find a new family with Cyrus.

6. What’s your experience level? Is this your first book? Your tenth? Do you read about craft for fun, or are you trying to figure it out as you go along?

Oh snap... I've never published a fiction book, but I would probably put myself as experienced otherwise. Except for summarizing it... I can't summarize it worth a darn, lol.

7. What are your goals? Are you writing for fun? Are you hoping to self publish or traditionally publish this book or a book? Any other goals for the book?

Honestly, I started writing this book for fun, but now I am wondering if I should do something with the manuscript because the people who have read it seem to think it is special and probably should be published??? But I am unsure of going the self publishing route (which I've done before, albeit in nonfiction) or trying to go the traditional route.

8. What draft number is this?

I... don't know anymore, lol. It should be very polished, but it has not been professionally edited.

9. Other than general big picture comments, is there anything specific you’d like me to read for, anything specific you’d like feedback on, any specific concerns about your book, etc.?

- I really, really appreciate character impressions... like, what you think of the characters at first and how your thoughts of the characters change throughout the narrative.

- The ending ends on a sudden cliffhanger, which makes me nervous because it might seem too sudden?? I've been told that it is okay by my beta readers thus far and they immediately ask for the next book in the series, so something about the ending works, but only three people have read it in its entirety so far, so I'm still quite nervous!

- THE MYTHOS. I created this world when I was seven, so like... there's an impressive backstory to go along with this whole thing, but I am also trying to keep the narrative moving because I *hate* slogging through backstory. And, frankly, I hate fantasy stories that get bogged up in the mythos. Anyway, I occasionally describe too little (which makes you confused about what the heck is happening) or sometimes too much, which might make you want to stab out your eyes. BUT. What I really want is a good narrative that takes you along for the ride.

10. Anything else you want me to know!!

OKAY.

So, um... my biggest concern for you is that there are certain parts of the story that are brutal, but like... I starting writing it for my then 14-year-old niece, so like... yes, it can be brutal, but it's not in very graphic detail??? I don't know. No rape, no sexual abuse, no animal abuse, but some characters enjoy doing violent stuff, and so you see them delight in the violence, which can be unsettling. So, if you don't like torture scenes at all, that might not work for you??? Like, it's nothing too graphic and those scenes are short, but I am not sure what your threshold is, haha. I would rate the violence at 13+, probably.

(I am probably over thinking this way too much, haha. I tend to do that a lot...)

It's also part of a four book series, of which three books have been written.

It also ends on a cliffhanger, as I previously stated. >.> If I've written it right, you will want to read the next book, lol.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

I support the shrek message.
— MiniGem26