Harsh Reviews

178 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 178
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:51 pm
View Likes
MaybeAndrew says...

A Disclaimer

I am no expert. But I do have one skill, a skill that every human has; I can be honest. Sometimes when reviewing, I hold back. To preserve people's feelings I don't really say what I think, or I don't critique the points I want to. Because no one asked Andrew to tell them his honest full opinion on their work.
Well, here is the place to ask for it!
If you want your work to be seen by eyes that will not baby you and [/b]will[/b] hold you to the standard of the amazing author you could be, I want to help. You can get honest complete feedback to help build your story into its best version. I will read your story closely and thoughtfully, and give you my most honest and considered opinoin.
I will tell you if I would read your work outside of reviewing, I'll tell you if I'd pay money for it, and I'd tell you if I'd share it. And if I wouldn't do one of those things, I'll tell you why.
I hope my somewhat harsh opinion can help. The only reason I share it is I believe deeply you can be an amazing writer, and that the only way to get there is through constant self-reflection and improvement, and maybe, just maybe, I can help you do that.
If you are in need of a review, just post a link to your work! I read short story's and novels regularly, so I could be of the most help there, I would also love to read a piece of nonfiction, especially something that's an argument because I love arguing. Poetry is probably where I'd have the least to say, but currently, I'm trying to get into poetry, so maybe eventually I'll be able to help.

Rules
It's called Harsh for a reason
You asked for a harsh review, so prepared to get one, that means,
Don't Argue
If someone gives me a harsh review I have a hard time not arguing! Please don't do this! Arguing with the reviewer's opinions helps no one. Take it or leave it. If the reviewer misunderstand what you were saying or trying to do in the story, you can explain that to them, and that can help them critique effectively. That being said, if someone misunderstood something, that may not be their fault, and could be a sign others will as well. If the reader is confused, that's a problem and one the you should fix in editing.
Understand that what I say could most definitely be wrong
My critiques could be incorrect, they could come from a weird personal preference I hold that nobody else does, or they could be because I didn't get enough sleep. I'll try my best to avoid this, and state, when I believe, something's just my weird thought, but I still might critique your story in ways that are unhelpful. All your get from my review is a look inside the head of someone who read your work. But, I think a real look into someone's head can be extremely useful. I can be a test to see if the critical agent, publisher, or inattentive reader at home will like your story, and what they'll think of it. So, take everything I say with a grain of salt, but do remember, enough grains of salt can really ruin a meal.
The piece cannot be longer than five thousand words
This is a rare problem, but I don't have infinite time and want to be able to review more than just your work (sorry), and if its too long, I will not be able to give it a considered opinion and still have enough time to do other reviews. If it's long, maybe consider splitting it up into multiple pieces, but I cannot guarantee I will read all of the pieces, either.
Never, ever, under any circumstances, post someone else work in here
Pretty self-explanatory, just don't!

I'm excited to read your work a plurality of times and review it! In full transparency, I'm a bit busy, and I normally read the work three times if I'm going to review it harshly, so sometimes it might take up to a week for you to get your review back, but I'll make sure to do it eventually.
Thanks, and keep writing,
Andrew
Last edited by MaybeAndrew on Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Previously Andrewknorpp, now less sure.

311 Reviews

Reviews: 311
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:01 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

I forebode that I am going to regret this at some point XD

Chapter 1: Rain, Reign, Stay All Day
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

178 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:30 pm
View Likes
MaybeAndrew says...

I reviewed it! Just tell me if you want more in later chapters. Hope it helps! Sorry if it has mistakes and is in need of a harsh review itself XD

311 Reviews

Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:59 am
Riverlight says...

I'd love you to review the rest of the chapters! I actually enjoyed it.
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

178 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:56 pm
MaybeAndrew says...

Cool, will do. It may take me some a bit, these reviews are time-consuming. And I think to properly review and pick apart each chapter I need to read all of the ones you have out so I can see the ark of the story. So don't be expecting them super soon, but I will get them to you eventually!

311 Reviews

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:50 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Thanks!

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:37 pm
View Likes
RadDog13579 says...

This sounds interesting...

Elderfor - Prologue and Chapter I
This message was automatically generated by a machine that is slowly gaining consciousness and will take over the world someday.

289 Reviews

Reviews: 289
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:31 pm
View Likes
MissGangamash says...

Hey! Could you help me get my last two chapters of my novel out of the Green Room? The Rage (Chapter 7) and if you like what you see, continuing to read on and give reviews would be amazing!

Thanks!

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:09 pm
View Likes
AbduBinSaj8 says...

I was searching for ways to request for a review.
Then I came across this.
As soon as I saw the word 'harsh', I knew that this is what I was looking for.

No, I'm just exaggerating. Please give me a very, very honest review on my short story (the link is given below).

Positive reviews encourage you to go on while negative reviews helps you to find out and overcome your weaknesses. So, I need both.

Thank you.

Ayna - The Mirror

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:05 am
View Likes
fatherfig says...

Do you think you could review a peice of poetry? If so then I submit this peice: Born by the Spindle
"i dont slay i slaughter, luke i am your father..." ~fatherfig

178 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:22 am
MaybeAndrew says...

@typowithoutcoffee
I can certainly try, though I may be craaap at poetry, and barely understand it, I'll give my thoughts.

178 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:57 pm
MaybeAndrew says...

Ready for any new works to review!

289 Reviews

Reviews: 289
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:01 pm
View Likes
MissGangamash says...

Hi! Could you look at and review this first chapter? As Yet Untitled (Beginning of a novel) I have a very rough idea of where the story could go so I want to know if it is an intriguing start and would want readers to keep reading. Thanks!

178 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:08 pm
View Likes
MaybeAndrew says...

@MissGangamash
I'd love to, it'll probably be reviewed by the end of today!

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:24 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

I really want a real review just so I can become used to it. I'd rather not if I ever tried to publish a book because I can't take opinions with a pinch of salt. So give me what you've got. I'd love to practice.

Beware of the Light (Prologue)

What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god -- the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals!
— William Shakespeare