Young Writers Society

Lim's Thread

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:42 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Requests currently closed!

Hello, YWSers! Decided to set this thread up to motivate myself to review more chapters, poems, etc. I'm a bit of a slow reviewer but I'll do my best, and maybe I can break that record. :D

Please note that I review the work as it is, with the idea that the main purpose of a review is to help the writer improve and also motivate them to continue writing. I'm not a therapist, professional 'befriender' or counsellor. I'm also not a sensitivity reader. If your work is very personal and not something you want someone to react to or pick apart for the purposes of critique, I am likely not the right reviewer for you.

Types of works I can review:

I'm basically happy to review any of the main mediums published on YWS, whether it be poems, fiction, or even a piece of art.

I am notably much less experienced in reviewing scripts and visual art, but I can try my best!

I'm not reliably able to review:

1. Heavily political works
2. Heavily theological/ spiritual essays or articles
3. Works involving heavily graphic depictions of the following (so in YWS ratings, 18+, with a Mature or Violence tag): (see the spoiler)
Spoiler! :

- suicide
- self-harm
- abuse of any kind
- trauma

4. Works whose focus is the real-life struggles of a particular group
Spoiler! :
So for example, even though I'm gay I wouldn't try to review a work where the main focus is homophobia, because I don't trust my knowledge of the broader context to give a good and sensitive review. I'm really more of a stylistics-focused reviewer and someone more concerned with broad-based or philosophical themes (like I have plenty of useful feedback for a poem whose theme is 'knowledge' or 'loyalty' or 'love'). Again - I'm not a sensitivity reader.

Timeframe

I should be able to get to your work within a week normally. If I'm really busy that week, then it may take longer.

Reviews and Requesting

If there's anything specific you would like me to comment on, feel free to mention it in your request. Otherwise, I generally go over themes, imagery, word choices and structure for poetry and themes (if any are significant), imagery, plot, characterisation and structure for stories. For articles, I could comment on the general style, as well as offer suggestions on arguments and examples.

Sample Reviews (my 'template', as in the headers, will change depending on the work I'm reviewing, but the general analysis looks something like this)
1. Poems/ Lyrics (can't comment on the quality of a musical score, though!)
2. Short stories
3. Articles
4. Book Chapters
5. Scripts

Happily awaiting your requests
Lim
Last edited by Liminality on Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

542 Reviews

Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:10 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Well bumping this thread just to say that I'm happy to review all kinds of works. Forgot to list it, but I'll include visual art as well (I'm no expert, but I'll try my best!). Preferably give a work that's still in the Green Room - I'd love to contribute to the site-wide effort to conquer the Green Room this year :D
she/her

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:24 am
View Likes
QuoolQuo says...

Hiya, I was wondering if you'd be able to review two short stories of mine?
I've been thinking of submitting them to a magazine so all honest criticisms would be welcome :)

Song of a Muse

Dionysus

542 Reviews

Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:29 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

QuoolQuo wrote:Hiya, I was wondering if you'd be able to review two short stories of mine?
I've been thinking of submitting them to a magazine so all honest criticisms would be welcome :)

Song of a Muse

Dionysus

Of course! :)
she/her

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:37 pm
View Likes
raindrops says...

Hi! I wrote a fantasy fiction short story, and I would like to have a review if it's got potential in terms of world building. Also, if possible, may you please give insights on how I wrote the exchange of words in my characters conversation? I was least confident when I write those parts, I think that the dialogue themselves are okay, but the in between sentences I put are still a bit forced on my part. I hope you'll have time for my request. Thanks!

542 Reviews

Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:42 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

raindrops wrote:Hi! I wrote a fantasy fiction short story, and I would like to have a review if it's got potential in terms of world building. Also, if possible, may you please give insights on how I wrote the exchange of words in my characters conversation? I was least confident when I write those parts, I think that the dialogue themselves are okay, but the in between sentences I put are still a bit forced on my part. I hope you'll have time for my request. Thanks!

Sure, @raindrops! Is it the one called 'The Kingdom of Ingrid'? I'll be sure to get to it by the end of the week. :D
she/her

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:46 pm
View Likes
raindrops says...

Yes, haha. Sorry I forgot to put the link. Thank you in advance for the review. I'll be waiting uwu.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701

542 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:02 am
Liminality says...

ForeverYoung299 wrote:Hello. Can you pls review Diary of a leader of surreptitious past(D.O.A.L.O.S.P) Part 1 ? I would be thankful if you do

Sure! I'll try to get it done maybe next week? I'm a bit busy with coursework at the moment, but I should be able to review that by next Saturday latest. :D
she/her

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Thu May 20, 2021 5:09 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Hiya Lim! I would love a review from you on Finders, keepers; losers, weepers. <3
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

542 Reviews

Thu May 20, 2021 11:15 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

whatchamacallit wrote:Hiya Lim! I would love a review from you on Finders, keepers; losers, weepers. <3

Of course! I should be able to get that done by the middle of next week. :D
she/her

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:10 pm
View Likes
IamI says...

Hi! I saw your post and I thought I'd put in a request. I was wondering if you could review my new set of fairy tales, Fairy Tales: 7-9
-_-

542 Reviews

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:37 pm
Liminality says...

@IamI Of course! I'll review those sometime this week. :D
she/her

I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
— Chandler Bing