Aley's Poetry Reviews

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:20 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Hello Peeps!

I'm opening a WRFF due to the Better Review Bureau encouragement to help you all out with some reviews. You should definitely join.

What I'll Review
I like to review poetry, but I will also review novels, short stories, songs, chapters, lyrics, essays, articles, scripts, and others. Mostly I review poetry.

What I Ask For
In exchange for my hard work, I ask that you review things too! For reach review I do for you, I want to see you do a review for someone too. I don't think that's too much to ask. If you haven't reviewed within a month of your request, I won't review you as quickly. After all, if you haven't reviewed for a month, how am I supposed to know you're still on YWS to get my feedback?

How to Submit
To submit a review request from me, send me a link to what you want me to review. If I don't review it in a timely enough manner for you, send me a poke on my wall. I'm a busy-body and I've probably misplaced my sticky note telling me to review it. If you tell me what type of review you want to receive, I'll do my best to deliver your request.

What I Won't Review
I won't review things where you want a grammar checker unless it's on a word doc or a WFP where I can edit right on the document. If you want a grammar lesson, go find a grammar grandma please.

Review Types

I have several different review types that I do, including personal style examination, analysis of literature or poems, grammar on poetry, novel plot observations, and poetry specifics.

Personal Style Examination
Depending on what category you write in, this could go different ways. If you write novels, I will read several chapters of your novels and on your last chapter I read, I will write a long review detailing things I noticed throughout the story about the type of writing you do. Example, Example

If you request it and you do not write novels, I will comment on your style by reading multiple pieces of your work either over a stretch of time or close together depending on if you want to see your development or if you want to see how you're doing now. Example

If you ask me for an examination of your personal style on an essay, you're likely to get very specific feedback about sentence structure, and other nuances like theme, support, counterpoints, and how argumentative or explanatory the essay is, and how effective it is. Example

Analysis of Poetry
I have also been known to analyze poetry before in a more formal-writing style. Basically I don't write it to you as the reviewer, but to a third party reader and talk about the different ways you craft your poetry so you can see your poetry through the eyes of your readership. Example

Poetry Grammar
When I say poetry grammar, I mean that I can get nitpicky about the word choice, punctuation, capitalization, rhyme choice, line breaks, and other specifics of poetry crafting if you ask me to. This usually becomes one of my longer reviews as I'll go over the poem with a more fine-toothed comb. Example, Example, Example

Novel Plot Observations
This is one of the review styles that I do the least, but if I read more than a couple chapters in a novel, I'll comment on the type of novel progression I see going on and where I think the novel is going. This will also include character analysis of development, and a bit of stylistic exploration. Example

Poetry Specifics
I will do reviews specifically about poetry elements like Theme, Imagery, Entertainment, Structure, and Originality and rank you with what I think your best area is, to your worst, and explain the reasons why I ranked you the way that I did. These reviews can also include other things like specifics about what I think your poem should work on instead of what you should work on as well as suggestions to try different areas of poetry. Example, Example, Example, Example

YWS Critique Sandwich
I also review in the general YWS Critique Sandwich Style with a strict adherence to it if you request it. Example, Example

If you want a type of review that isn't on this list, describe what you'd like from me and I'll do my best to give you what feedback you're looking for.

See you around~

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:17 am
View Likes
Starve says...

Hi
I'd like a review on my work The title of this is at the end. if possible please.

If I can add this, please be as brutal and technical as possible because I want to know my blind spots, since as of now I only write to improve .

I write 2-3 detailed reviews every month so I'm pretty sure there'd be no issues with me not reviewing.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:24 pm
View Likes
GreyMatter says...

Hi Lisa.
Please review my poem If You Pass this Spot.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:24 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Thanks for the requests! Your reviews are finished.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:19 am
View Likes
Aranya says...

Kiss of Sunshine

Aley, Could you pls review my poem?

806 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:31 am
View Likes
Aley says...

All caught up!

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:45 am
View Likes
Clarity says...

released
"Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little."

she/they

Home is where the books are kept.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:21 pm
View Likes
Starve says...

I did go through your posts on punctuation and capitalizing after your great review, and did decide to not let Word automatically capitalize lines, which I've tried to reduce.

Can you please critique good day / bad day ?

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:13 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

Hi, Aley. c:

Could you review my poem let me be hope? Mostly I'm not sure about the flow of the poem, so a mix of analysis and grammar in the review would be excellent!

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:48 pm
Aranya says...

Hi Aley!!

Could you pls review this slam poem on Gay Love in the combination of Poetry Analysis, Personal style examination and poetry specifics type ?? :)
Honey and Sunshine

Shall always be ready to help you in any form!!

Thank you so much!!

Reviews: 2
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:53 am
rudrAbhinav says...

Can you please review my first poem. TYSM

THE FIRST SHOWERS

I know this smell of the earth
When the first droplets of rain
Kiss the dry soil, gently
I know someone, somewhere is feeling this too
Someone is cursing it, struck in the city traffic
Someone is smiling, his fields tilled at the right time
Someone is happy, his paper boats will finally
Embark on their maiden voyage
And he would follow them
Like a parent follows his children
On their first day at school

It is humid here and I know
You are somewhere close
I can smell you, the earth
And it gets to my nerves
Pluviophile, they call me
For being helplessly in love with you

I feel awed
Every time you are here
Though you are punctual
But the dry season before you
Is quite disheartening
With your promises of return
Evaporating day by day

I trust you like the farmer
Who risks everything every year
Taking loans, tilling his lands
All this balanced on your
Thin thread-like promise of return

I can see you rumbling
At my doorsteps
These thunderclouds faking your urgency
Maybe even you've missed me

I take a deep breath
As I feel your first droplets embrace me
I have no tears to shed
They dried up last Sunday
But I feel good
The way my body responds to you
The goosebumps, the curled toes
I have missed you my dear friend.

There’s always a story. It’s all stories, really. The sun coming up every day is a story. Everything’s got a story in it. Change the story, change the world.
— Terry Pratchett