Young Writers Society

alliyah's poetry reviews

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:25 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

alliyah's poetry reviews

Hi there! And welcome to alliyah's poetry review center, I'm glad you stopped by. :) Please read the guidelines below before requesting a review.

What I'll Review

• I am only taking requests for poetry at this time (including lyrics, structured, unstructured, etc)
  • However, I will not review stuff that's really graphic or gory
  • I don't mind if you'd like me to review multiple pieces, just don't ask for more than two at a time.
  • I saw this on @Carlito's thread so am stealing it -> if you are interested in getting feedback on your review style / suggestions how to improve it, make it more helpful, I'd definitely be willing to give you suggestions! Or even if you're just not sure how to tackle poetry reviews and would like some advice - I've written nearly 1000 poetry reviews, so I have a few tips I'd love to share if you're looking for feedback.

What to Expect

• You can expect my review within a month of the request.
  • My reviews can get pretty lengthy, but I will generally cover content such as word choice, grammar, structure, flow, theme, and overall impressions. I can give you specific feedback about specific areas if you ask for it. So please let me know if you're wondering about something particular in your piece.
  • I will also note that I always try not to be too harsh in my reviews, but I will always give the author the courtesy of being honest and respectful with my reviews. As part of being honest, you can expect both some praise and criticism of your piece.

How to Request a Review

Just drop a link in the comments below and please indicate if there's anything you'd like me to pay extra attention to in my review and let me know if you're not looking for feedback in a specific area like grammar/structure.

I don't require any payment for my reviews, although I'd love if you'd comment back on my review to let me know what was helpful and to show you actually read it.

Now with all of that stuff out of the way, please feel free to leave me a request. I look forward to reading your work! :)

SIDE NOTE: I'll throw this out here too, even though I'm convinced many people don't read through all of these, but if you're ever interested in really work-shopping a poem by throwing it into a writer's feed pad & discussing it, I've done that for a few people at requests as well. And I'm down to explain my Reviewing Methods to people who are interested as well. So I guess this is just to say, if you need my help with something that's not exactly a "Review Request" feel free to throw that in this thread too or just send me a PM.

pssssst this thread is on pause now mostly so I don't feel pressured to get reviews in in a particular amount of time - but the secret is you can actually still request a review if you are looking for a poetry review specifically from me - my turn-around time is obnoxiously inconsistent (fair warning!) but I still want to read your poetry! <3
Last edited by alliyah on Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:18 am, edited 15 times in total.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:16 am
View Likes
Lightsong says...

The Walls Around Us

Please review the poem in the link! I would appreciate it if you can touch on flow and imagery in particular. Thanks! :D
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:55 pm
View Likes
mephistophelesangel says...

Hi! It'd be great if you could review my new poem, a (hundred) thousand years

Could you look at the overall impression of the poem among other things too? Thank you.

1227 Reviews

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:59 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

@Lightsong and @mephistophelesangel I've reviewed your pieces. -- Thanks for being the first to request reviews!

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:55 pm
View Likes
Aaraju says...

Hi. I am new with poetry. But I wanted to write something. Can you tell me, like, 'you should write this instead of that' kind of thing. The link is below
That Night

Thank you so much for your time

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:50 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Hello, hello!
I would love if you checked out this poem [ Politics ] or this one [ Argument ]. Thanks! You don't have to do both, but you can if you want to.
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

1227 Reviews

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:31 am
alliyah says...

@Aaraju I just reviewed yours! Please let me know if you have any other poems in the future you'd like a review on. :)

And @PearlC10 I'm going to try to grab your poems tomorrow. Thanks for the request! :)

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:01 pm
Hijinks says...

Thanks! :D
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

Reviews: 4
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:53 am
OS2000 says...

Hello,

I'm new to the site and so I don't really understand what I'm doing, but I understand this is how you get reviews. I imagine It's a bit rude to have three poems dumped on you like this, but I wanted all three reviewed by someone anyway and so I thought this would be the easiest way to put them all forward. Please feel free to review only one - I don't want to be greedy! I don't really have any preference as to what you focus on especially as your other reviews are so thorough. However, I would appreciate a chance to discuss my work with you in reply to your review. I'm very excited to see what you say!

Ode To A Bathroom Mirror

Paradise To Be Gained

Coming From The Mill

Many thanks

Ollie

1227 Reviews

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:38 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

@OS2000 and @PearlC10 I've completed your review requests, I just grabbed one of each of your poems for now. :) Thanks for sharing your work!

Reviews: 3
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:59 am
View Likes
LizzieH3 says...

Hi, could you review my poem The Worry Child. I'm trying to progress as a poet and I would like both advice on the poem but also general advice based on what I've written which I can apply to other poems I write.

1227 Reviews

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:38 am
alliyah says...

Hey @LizzieH3 thanks for throwing in a request -- I'll be getting to that within the next couple of days. :)

Edit: Request is completed! Thanks again feel free to request another review in the future if you'd like. :)

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:43 am
View Likes
Lightsong says...

our path to love

Please review this one, love. Will appreciate it so much. <3
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

1227 Reviews

Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:13 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

@Lightsong, sorry for the super slow response time on this one, I had a few people who requested reviews over PM that I had to grab first. I look forward to reviewing your lovely poem on Review Day! Thank you for being patient. :)

~alliyah

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:53 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

Since you're looking for something to review: Metropolitan

<3
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

That, sir, is the most frightening battlefield in the world: the blank page.
— Larry McMurtry, Comanche Moon