Young Writers Society

I Can Do Things

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Fri May 05, 2017 1:27 am
View Likes
Sachiko says...

Hey Friends!

I need to get back into this reviewing thing. I've never? Really? Been good? at it? And officially stopped some time back in....yikes yikes yikes. 2014 or some nonsense. What i'm saying is it's been a while.

Anyway, I'm open to pretty much everything. If you've written it, I can read it and offer feedback. That said, my strengths lie in:

Dialogue
Sentence tweaking/rearranging sentences for flow
Adding Trauma (legitimately, if you want a piece to be more dramatic/awful/ emotionally scarring for your character, I am your girl. Ask my beta readers if you think i'm kidding!)
Pacing/finding slow spots. My attention span is terrible. If you suspect that your piece might be lacking in pacing/is unintentionally too slow, I'm a good sounding board for that sort of thing.
Chemistry between characters
(This is definitely more of a line editing thing, but I'm good at cutting down word count without losing content. Qualifications: Once chopped down 225k to 110k.

I also do best with direction. Be specific in what you need me to give feedback on! Otherwise I'm kind of aimless and tend to lean more toward nitpicky grammar stuff and that's probably just going to put us both to sleep. That being said, I definitely tend to be more helpful with second/third/final drafts than first.

If you request a review on a chapter for a novel that's already in progress, I probably will not go back and read the previous chapters, just as generalized information! Reviews for chapters will probably focus more on sentence tweaking.

I can try to critique poetry, but chances are I would not be a good fit for that. Like. Have you seen mine? "Are these words pretty? Do they hit you over the head with an image? Nice. It's done."

Also, if halfway through a piece I find it's just not clicking, I can either try and pinpoint why it's not working for me, or pass on reviewing. I totally reserve the right for either one.

I'mma take a leaf from Iggy's book and put a handy disclaimer saying I'm super super rusty. Like anything I touch will probably need a tetanus shot. Hopefully I will be helpful in some capacity, but if not, I totally apologize in advance.

Thank, friends!
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri May 05, 2017 1:39 pm
View Likes
Saruka says...

Hey Sachiko! Can you review my poem, Malala ? I only got 'this poem is really good' enough to get it out of the Green Room.
a lesbian disaster

74 Reviews

Fri May 05, 2017 10:22 pm
Sachiko says...

@SarukaTheHuman , sounds good! I'll get to it this weekend!
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Sat May 06, 2017 2:54 pm
View Likes
Audy says...

c: *loves on page* I have this thing. In YWS standards, it is 3 chapters, but it is really only like 1 chapter (like 2.5k-3k so far).

I would love to lean on your strength in dialogue and character chemistry and how to make those things more compelling <3

Because it is a draft 1, at the stage of *must get it out of my head and onto the page*, I am ignoring how horrific the sentence structure and pacing is for now and more looking for remarks on how to make it more compelling/interesting and/or feedback on what compels you the most is more of what I'm looking for!

74 Reviews

Sun May 07, 2017 6:14 pm
View Likes
Sachiko says...

@SarukaTheHuman , @Audy , I've left reviews on both of your pieces! Thanks for requesting! <3

A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer.
— Robert Frost