z

Young Writers Society

Niteowl's Review Nest

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:49 pm
niteowl says...

Okay, so I'm participating in Review Every Day, so I figured it was high time I start a request thread to help me keep up.

I will review anything that is not fan-fiction, but I am most experienced in writing poetry and lyrics, so that is what I prefer to review.

For poetry reviews, I tend to focus on the following areas: subject matter/originality, flow, rhyme (if present), word choice, structure/line breaks, and grammar/spelling. It really depends on what I think the poem needs. I can be very broad or very nit-picky. I can be somewhat harsh, but I do aim for a balance between praise and critique.

For prose reviews, I tend to make small comments as I read and then make my general comments at the end. Again, what I will notice can vary widely depending on the piece, but I aim for balance and encouragement.

If you'd like me to review a later novel chapter that's stuck in the Green Room, that's fine, but I'd appreciate a synopsis of the previous chapters so I'm not totally lost going into it. I may read previous chapters, but that largely depends on time so no promises there.

Also let me know if there are any deadlines, school assignment requirements, or anything in particular you'd like me to focus on.

The Catch: If you have not reviewed anything in the past month, I will not accept your request. YWS depends on reviews to survive, and I'm working on doing my part, but you should be too. If you haven't reviewed in a while, find something to review before you request. If you're new and want review advice, feel free to message me and I'll point you in the right direction.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:21 pm
Pretzelstick says...

I love "The Catch" there. Don't really have anything in particular to review though.

Good luck with R.E.D. though!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

862 Reviews

Reviews: 862
Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:20 pm
Morrigan says...

Why hello!

If you could, I would love another review on old woman. Thanks! I would like to know what you think of the title, as well. :)
"So many poems growing outta them they're practically a poet-tree"
Gringoamericano

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:21 pm
Lightsong says...

I would like it if you could review The Candles Melted for me. :D
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

524 Reviews

Reviews: 524
Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:45 am
felistia says...

Hi, could you please review my poem. I am Water.

https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/felistia/I-am-Water-127001

Thank you for your time. :D

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:10 pm
DrFeelGood says...

Specially requesting a review from you for my short story The Blockbuster Writer - Part 1

Since you had reviewed my poem, The Blockbuster Writer and suggested me to write a short story instead of a poem, I am kind of interested in knowing what you feel about my adaptation. Thanks!

472 Reviews

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:44 pm
Lightsong says...

Please review Goddess No More! :D Thanks!
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:21 pm
Sins says...

Hey there, niteowl! :D

Would you mind taking a look at the second chapter of my novel for me? As it's not the first, it's totally cool if you'd rather not. I'm more than happy to give you a synopsis of the first chapter if you are happy to do it, though.

A Pocket Full of Posies (2)

Please and thank you :3
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 pm
Costa says...

Hi, niteowl!

I'm always looking for feedback on my novel - War of Dawn. So, if you've a lot of time to burn, would you be interested in reviewing the eight chapters I've posted thus far?

I'll totally understand if you say that's way too much but, if you're interested, you can find the links in my porfolio.

I figured it's easier to post this link instead of linking every single chapter.

Cheers.

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:23 am
Attolia says...

Hi Niteowl! I'm Attolia. Could you please review my first chapter? It's from a novel I'm trying to come back to, after many years.

Untitled, Chapter One

Thank you :)

---

Edited -- I've already received some helpful feedback on my first chapter, but if you're interested, please take a look at the second chapter instead?

Untitled, Chapter Two

No worries if you are busy, though!

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Mon May 02, 2016 6:55 pm
Aley says...

​The Marillian Chapter 1 – The QSDD Interlude can you do a line edit review and general tone? I want to determine what my faults are in the writing pattern after another draft is down to see what needs help before publishing on amazon .

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Tue May 03, 2016 5:10 pm
Charm says...

I'd love a review on my latest poem:
Homeless Homesickness

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Wed May 04, 2016 8:51 pm
guineapiggirl says...

Hello! So after a long, LONG creative hiatus I have recently started trying to write poetry again during a few sleepless nights...

I have uploaded a few poems this evening and I would really appreciate some feedback on them. This is Architects, the one which I think has the most potential: Architects
There are meant to be lines between all of the seven line stanzas and the *this is my/her/our story* bits as well, but I can't figure out how to format lines.

The others are Women, Messenger, Friday Uprising and There's a Canker in my Brain. These are they, but I know you're in demand so I understand you may wish to only review one. Women
There’s a canker in my brain
Friday Uprising
Messenger

Thank you so much!

472 Reviews

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:19 am
Lightsong says...

Please review Us and the World! :D

- David L. Ulin

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:55 pm
niteowl says...

@Lightsong, I'm just now getting a notification about your review request, but it's a month old? Or I may have gotten the request before and am getting another notification for it? In any case, let me know if you still want the review and I'll do it.

Otherwise, I think I'm going to go ahead and close this thread for now. I've been busy with real-world stuff and I don't know how much time I will have for YWS in the near future.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

I was never insane except upon occasions when my heart was touched.
— Edgar Allan Poe