Nationbuilding: August Storybook Workshop

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:25 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...

People come from places.

This is a key fact that many writers often don't consider. Building a vibrant nation is incredibly important: it helps with anything from an interesting detail to plot points, and even characterization -- the holy grail of writing. Or so I'm told.

Knowing that your character's people have these customs also tells you how your character would act in a certain situation. Perhaps they hate this other race, or think northeners are all pickpockets. Maybe your character's king is plotting a war against the south because his grandfather tried and failed. Or there's a holy relic. That's never happened before, right?

Because nationbuilding is so important yet so often neglected, I'm happy to announce the August workshop, dedicated solely to this. We'll be considering what defines a nation, starting from its geography and moving through global history to its local history and customs.

Furthermore! I'm also pleased to say this workshop will have a practical application as well. For those who are interested, you will be able to use the nation you built in this workshop in my upcoming storybook. It'll be something YWS hasn't seen in a very long time (possibly ever): you will be your nation, telling its tale through influential members. Your opponents will be the spies, diplomats and assassins of the other nations.

When?

The workshop will be split into two days. On the first day, we will discuss the theoretical aspect of nationbuilding. On the second day, we will begin setting up play for the storybook. You're not required to attend both days, but if you want to attend the second day, it's kind of mandatory you attend the first.

The dates I've established for now are and . The times are displayed in your local time. Magical, isn't it.

These may be subject to change, because for the first few weeks of August I'll be traveling and my internet won't be of the best or most reliable kind. I will let you know in due advance if I can't make those days.

How do I apply?

Post here. It's straightforward. Also post here if you have questions or want clarification.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

760 Reviews

Reviews: 760
Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:58 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas says...

*is already planning*

What fools these mortals be!
William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do.

Linkin Park
One More Light

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:05 am
View Likes
Lorelie says...

Can I use the characters of my working novel?
There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.
— Mary Kay Ash

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— Someone Incredibly Noncommittal

289 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:09 am
Caesar says...

you can totally construct your novel's nation in this workshop, though expect some modifications to fit it in with the rest of the world.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:06 am
View Likes
Lorelie says...

Ok, count me in (:
There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.
— Mary Kay Ash

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— Someone Incredibly Noncommittal

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:13 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Grr....I think I will be at work. But I'll certainly try to be there!

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

257 Reviews

Reviews: 257
Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:49 am
View Likes
Tuesday says...

Count me in.
What does it mean to be brave?

she/they

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:00 pm
View Likes
fantasydragon01 says...

This is really, really, really awesome and interesting.I would really like to be a part of this. In my stories, I have kingdoms and I am struggling with the describing of the geography of my kingdoms. I also would like to know about describing the inhabitants of the kingdoms. I have one realm in particular that I want to do first. I need to do some awesome descriptions of the geography and the surroundings of the nation. I think giving its inhabitants some personality would also be cool. Any suggestions? Thank you!

@fantasydragon01
Last edited by fantasydragon01 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Many that live deserve death and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo?"----Gandalf

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:01 pm
View Likes
Alpha says...

*isn't sure if she'll be around then but subscribes anyway*

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:38 pm
View Likes
Lightsong says...

Count me in! :)
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:16 pm
View Likes
TheCrimsonLady says...

*creeps around*
I'm in!
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:56 pm
Caesar says...

fantasydragon01 wrote:This is really, really, really awesome and interesting.I would really like to be a part of this. In my stories, I have kingdoms and I am struggling with the describing of the geography of my kingdoms. I also would like to know about describing the inhabitants of the kingdoms. I have one realm in particular that I want to do first. I need to do some awesome descriptions of the geography and the surroundings of the nation. I think giving its inhabitants some personality would also be cool. Any suggestions? Thank you!

@fantasydragon01

People as a whole are influenced by their nation's history and customs. Once you have those down, you'll be able to write a random NPC's reaction easily, and it will feel appropriate. We'll cover that in the workshop too~

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:37 pm
View Likes
Storybraniac says...

Count me in too
Our thing progresses
I call and you come through
Blow all my friendships
To sit in hell with you
But we’re the greatest
They’ll hang us in the Louvre
Down the back, but who cares? Still the Louvre.

- Lorde

In my head I do everything right

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:06 am
View Likes
Masquerade says...

I'm not sure If I'll be able to make it both days, but I'm signing up anyways. We'll see. Sounds awesome.
"Many people hear voices when no-one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing."
-Meg Chittenden

163 Reviews

Reviews: 163
Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:30 am
View Likes
Mysticalxx says...

I'm in this! :) But if the timings in our respective countries are different, how can we all be together for the first meeting?
We all want to be different, which makes us all the same.

Powerful men have a way of avoiding consequences.
— Dr. Harrison Wells, The Flash