z

Young Writers Society

The 'grim is coming for you.

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:07 pm
View Likes
Megrim says...

I'm Megrim, and I'm totally into reviewing your story! Thing is, because I do this professionally, I have a hard time toning it down, and that's resulted in a lot of crushed spirits. Therefore, I've learned the hard way not to inflict myself on the unsuspecting, and I prefer to critique on a by-request basis.

Why should you care what I have to say? I'm a full-time sci-fi/fantasy author represented by the Donald Mass Literary Agency. I'm an experienced critiquer and beta-reader, and have had good success with writing contests and pitches. I'm here because I'm curious to read your writing, and hopefully to help guide and encourage new writers.

As far as critique style, you'll be getting a broader view of the progression of story and character. I'm not going to give you wording suggestions or correct your punctuation. I'll be looking at things like...
- Character motivations and agency
- Clarity of worldbuilding
- Balance of description vs action
- Plot momentum and pacing
Feel free to browse old reviews for a sample of style. It's a bit different for every story and every person.

-> Please link what you want critiqued. It also helps me if you specify whether this is an in-progress first draft, a finished manuscript, etc. Wordcount is nice to know, too, as well as a bit of description so I know what to expect.

Types of Submissions
Novels: I write novels. This is my bread and butter. I will happily read whatever chapters you want. Unless specified, I'll start at the beginning and read/review as I see fit.
Short Stories and Flash Fiction: I'm also an avid flash fiction writer and have been delving into the world of shorter fiction. I'm less experienced with these, but learning.
Poetry, Lyrics, Scripts, Essays, and Others: I can tell you how it affected me as a reader. I don't write these things and don't know anything about them, but I'm interested in the challenge.
Queries and Pitches: This isn't really a big thing around here, but for those who are interested in publishing, I have a lot of experience with queries and pitches.

I don't care how many reviews a piece has. If you feel like you need additional perspective, I'll look at it even if it already has ten reviews. I also don't care how many chapters a novel has.

I do, however, reserve the right to reject anything I don't have the time/willpower/expertise to handle. This is a safety precaution against, for instance, the beta request for an unedited 300k first draft, or your revolutionary manifesto. I mean, it doesn't hurt to ask, but I also get to say no if I want.

Genres
I'm more than happy to sink my teeth into any genre, however I do have my strengths and weaknesses. I'm a sci-fi/fantasy writer, so anything in that vein is my first preference. I also LOVE diversity (sexuality, ethnicity, disabilities, etc), and will read any content rating.

Things I Will Not Critique
- I will NOT critique something more than once. If you edit it, don't ask me to look at it again. I can't give you anything useful the second time around, because my eyes are no longer fresh.
- I will NOT critique anything based around strong religious or spiritual themes, sorry.
- I will NOT critique fanfiction.

What To Expect
I review general writing technique and execution as well as big picture aspects of the content (plot, character, setting). I'll focus on whatever stood out to me while reading, so it will be different for each review. I may ask questions to get you thinking/brainstorming; these don't need to be answered. My technique varies--sometimes I read it all ahead of time, and sometimes I type down my thoughts as I have them.

Very Important
I do have the ability to eat stories alive, and while I try to be respectful, I've had my critiques described as "crushing dreams like cars beneath the wheels of a monster truck." You absolutely must copy and paste this disclaimer into your post if you want me to review your work. If you ignore this, I will ignore your post, because it means you didn't read my instructions.
I understand that Megrim is not a gentle critter. I am prepared to hear difficult things about my plot and characters, and will not be upset if I'm told to rewrite everything about it.
Last edited by Megrim on Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 37 times in total.

Reviews: 1
Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:22 am
Unashamed116 says...

I'm writing a Sci-Fi Allegory...would you be interested in critiquing it? It's 3/4 of the way finished.
Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! You're gorgeous, you're amazing, you're talented, you're loved, you're worth it. Keep smiling! Chin up, head high. You've got this. And if you ever need someone to talk to, I've always got your back. :D

264 Reviews

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:39 pm
Megrim says...

Sure!

Is it the thing you've already got posted? It might take me a looking time to get through. I could probably give more useful reviews for a shorter submission, like chapter by chapter for instance.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:22 am
yizhongt says...

Hey there, could you review these two works? The first one is a sci-fi story and the second a fantasy

Celestial: Spark of War; Chapter 2

and

Untitled Fantasy Story: The Chalice of Life: Prologue

Thank You !!

264 Reviews

Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:15 am
Megrim says...

Looks like I didn't get a chance to get to it this weekend, but I will soon!

264 Reviews

Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:26 pm
Megrim says...

Both reviewed!

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:38 pm
jumpingsheep says...

Hi Megrim!
I have been working on a serialized story and I was wondering you could hit me up with a review! So far it has 3 chapters, and it's really the third chapter I'd like a review on, although a review on any chapter would be fantastic!

Chapter 1-- Lone Voice Radio: Part I

Chapter 2-- Lone Voice Radio: Part I

Chapter 3-- Lone Voice Radio: Part I

Thank you!
I love this website, everyone is so active with reviews and such :D
hello there

264 Reviews

Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:37 pm
Megrim says...

Looks like I'm going pretty slow with getting around to these reviews on account of The Big Review. I haven't had a chance yet but I'll definitely do the first one sometime within the next week!

264 Reviews

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:52 pm
Megrim says...

Phew, finally finished all 3!

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:59 am
Lightsong says...

Please review When Dream and Reality Collide [Chapter 1.1] for me! :)
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:22 pm
Pompadour says...

Tryal's Curse 1.1

Could you please leave a review on this? It's a juvenile fantasy novel I'm currently writing for Tenyo's Last Man Standing, and it needs some massive help.

Thank you!
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:49 am
EmmVeePi says...

Hey there, was wondering if you could give my short Norse Creation Narrative a read and review? https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/EmmVeePi/Norse-Creation-Narrative-122887 It could best be called fantasy and I would greatly appreciate some input. Thank you.

264 Reviews

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:12 pm
Megrim says...

GRAND REOPENING. All new requests beyond this point :)

PS: the ones who posted after I left last year - just let me know if you still want anything reviewed.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:26 am
yizhongt says...

Hey megrim, could you please review:

Heroes of Aldrizhon (Prologue & Chapter 1)

And also its subsequent chapters?

Could you please focus on the grammar and general direction of the story? Thanks in advance!

264 Reviews

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:45 pm
Megrim says...

Done! Who's next?

Obsessing over what you regret won't get you anywhere.
— Steggy