z

Young Writers Society

Tri's Top Reviews

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:31 am
TriSARAHtops says...

Back and better than ever!

I believe that I used to have one of these threads, but it died some point last year, so I thought I'd make a new, fresh one because not only am I too lazy to look for it, my reviewing style has changed a lot since then.

Ahem.

If you're here, I'm guessing you're looking for a review. No surprises there, unless you've gotten lost. No matter how you found yourself into this corner of YWS, I'm here to offer my reviewing services.

I'm happy to review the following:
Short stories and novels are the forms that I'm most confident with. I'm happy to review anything in terms of genre - from fantasy to realistic to teen fiction to sci fi, although I will admit that I'm not particularly experienced when it comes to horror. I'm still happy to review it, but I haven't read as much as of it as I have other genres.

I am also open to requests to follow novels. Whether you've just begun one, or you've posted the final chapters, I am happy to follow it through to the end. I will try to be as quick to catch up/stay up-to-date as possible, however, just be aware that it may take me a while to review your chapters.

Feel free to request reviews on works with an 18+ rating, although I do reserve the right to refuse to review something if it is too confronting/offensive/etc.

I will review articles and/or essays, however if I am not necessarily able to critique the more technical side of these.

What I might review:
Poetry/lyrics - I am not very good at reviewing poetry, therefore I will only review poetry if I feel that I am able to offer some form of constructive criticism. So if you request a review on your poem, please be aware that there is a reasonably high chance that I won't be able to review it. The same rule goes for scripts. These are areas that I am not confident in, therefore I would rather not give a review if I do not have anything to contribute.

Works with multiple quality reviews - If your work already has approx. 5 quality reviews on it, I'd prefer it if you didn't request another. I'm not going to set an exact number or exact definition of what a quality review entails, but essentially don't request reviews for works that you've already received a lot of help for. The only (sort of) exception is for chapters - if you request a novel follow, I am happy to review early chapters, even if they have a considerable number of reviews, if the later ones have significantly fewer.

How long should a review take to appear?
Anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of weeks. I'll do my best, but the fact is that it sometimes takes me a while to get around to reviewing, especially when school is involved. For this reason, please don't request a review if I have a long list of reviews because you'll probably be waiting a while. I'll open and close this thread as the amount of time I have changes.

Generally, I won't do nitpicky, grammar based reviews unless you ask for them. My main focuses will surround characters, plot, voice, style and so on. If there's a certain thing in particular that you want critiqued, just let me know. I aim to make my reviews as constructive as possible, so the general goal is to be honest but not mean. I'll tell you what needs improving, but I'll also tell you what works.

So go ahead! Request away! :mrgreen:
Last edited by TriSARAHtops on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:29 am
Lightsong says...

Hey, I would like a review for my Power of the Secret Keeper story. :)
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

260 Reviews

Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:10 am
TriSARAHtops says...

Done!
we'll be waiting

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue May 05, 2015 6:21 pm
Scottylaa says...

Hey TriSARAHtops, would you be able to give a quick look over my first chapter of my story I started a while back some time last year? I'm planning on starting the story again and just looking for ideas on how to change every aspect of the story to try and make it better as well as a better name for the story as well.

Link: https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=113584
Any help is appreciated towards a bigger and better story!

260 Reviews

Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:16 am
TriSARAHtops says...

Done!
we'll be waiting

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:11 am
artybirdy says...

@TriSARAHtops

Would you be able to review my short story, Cultural Restrictions | Edited ?

Thanks!
[center]Previously known as ArtStyx[/center]

260 Reviews

Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:38 am
TriSARAHtops says...

Hey @ArtStyx, did you still want a review on that short story? I see that you have it set to private.

I've been on holidays, so unable to get time on YWS to review, which I probably should have told you about when you made that request, so sorry about that. Would you still like a review?
we'll be waiting

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:27 am
artybirdy says...

Oh, it's fine! Don't worry about it. I don't need the review anymore. :)
Thanks for telling me. I appreciate it.
[center]Previously known as ArtStyx[/center]

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:58 am
yizhongt says...

Hey there, do you remind reviewing

Untitled Fantasy Story: The Chalice of Life: Prologue

And the subsequent two chapters?

Thanks in advance

260 Reviews

Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:32 pm
TriSARAHtops says...

@yizhongt The prologue is done, and I'll get onto the chapters soon!
we'll be waiting

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:24 pm
Megrim says...

Hi there... I feel guilty requesting reviews, but am pretty new to the site so haven't made a lot of friends yet. If you'd like to take a peek...

With Only the Rainforest As Witness

260 Reviews

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:44 am
TriSARAHtops says...

Done!
we'll be waiting

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:30 pm
Stormcrow says...

Can I have a review for Chapter 24? I have other chapters posted but that one only has one review
Caleb Julius

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:43 pm
yizhongt says...

Hey there, do you mind taking a look at

Chalice of Life: Chapter 2

Thank You !!

260 Reviews

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:33 pm
TriSARAHtops says...

@Stormcrow Could you post a link please?
we'll be waiting

These were autumn mornings, the time of year when kings of old went forth to conquest; and I, never stirring from my little corner in Calcutta, would let my mind wander over the whole world.
— Rabindranath Tagore, The Cabuliwallah