z

Young Writers Society

Wind's Den of Iniquity

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:08 pm
windrattlestheblinds says...

I like reviewing stuff but I... lack... motivation.

Fortunately, I'm also easy to motivate. So! I'll read and review anything you throw at me. Prose, poetry, short story, novel, script, fanfic, originalfic, whatever. I've written them all at some point in my life and I'll at least be able to tell you what I think.

If you want me to review a fanfiction of a thing I'm not familiar with, I'll at least hunt down wikis and/or ask you for a basic rundown before I review.

I'll review stories of any rating—I'm not remotely squeamish. Bring.

My personal tastes run to fantasy and science fiction, so I'll dig that the most, but again: will review anything.

What I'll Focus On
• World-building is my passion. I'll ask you gazillions of questions about everything, and if something seems structurally weak I'll poke it with a stick. This applies for realistic settings, too—if you're writing a story set in a real place and you bend my suspension of disbelief so far that it snaps, I'll let you know.
• Character. Both of the "is Character X consistently written?" and the "this is how I feel about Character X" variety.
• Flow. If prose, I'll review with an eye to whether the progression of the narrative makes sense; if poetry, I'll be looking for stilted phrases or weird cadences.
• Impressions. I'll try to convey how your thing made me feel and what reactions it prompted and why.

What I won't
• Plot. Unless you have huge, gaping plot holes, my critique of your plot is going to boil down to "did it make sense?" and, in the case of novels, "do I want to keep going?"
• Grammar and spelling. If you've got atrocious grammar or awful spelling, I'll probably say that, but I won't do the nitpick thing. I will if you ask for it specifically, but I'm of the opinion that basic copy editing is a job for the final drafts, not the early ones.

I try not to be harsh or cruel, but I will be honest with you. If I don't like something, I'll tell you. I do try to be conscious of when things are objectively not good versus when they're just not to my tastes, and make a note of it when something I don't like is just a matter of personal preference.

I review by writing stream-of-conscious as I do an initial read and then editing that during a second, closer reading. That means that my general review style is "here let me vomit my thoughts on you."

If you want to shoot me a review in return, that'd be cool of you, but not required.

That's all, I think. Now gimme!

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:32 am
IdaPhillips says...

hey there! I have a sci-fi worldbuilding peice you might be in to (There's also a second part with actual plot, but the first part needs more work and I don't want to take up too much of your time. Review both if you want, I need the help! :) )

The Lizards -Installment 1-

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:54 am
windrattlestheblinds says...

Done! I'd already reviewed the first installment, so I did the second one this time. :)

Remember the rain that made your corn grow.
— Haitian Proverb