Young Writers Society

Evander & Edits: You Know, Like Dungeons & Dragons

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:54 pm
View Likes
Evander says...

Heyo, stranger!

Don't worry about rolling for initiative when you step in the room with me -- I'm not a hostile entity. You can roll for insight if you want, but I'm really just a 14yo kid with a cup of tea who honestly wants to review for you. Don't even worry about asking the Dungeon Master for my stats; I'm here to meta-game for you.

(Basically, I'm obsessed with D&D, but I also want to review for people. If you're not familiar with D&D lingo, then don't fear! Initiative is what you roll for combat. Insight is what you roll to detect intentions. My stats are what I'm going to list out. Also, meta-gaming is discussing the game out of character.

Proficient means, well, uh, proficient. I consider myself to be at least half-way decent when I say that I'm proficient. Although, in D&D terms, proficient means trained. Also! I will review stuff in categories that I'm not proficient in, but my reviews probably won't be up to their normal quality.)

Okay! Here's my statblock!

Evander, 14yo, 300+ reviews in his belt
Level 5 reviewer, aiming to get first blue star to be level 6.

Proficient in:
Type:
  • Early novel chapters - I tend to review these the most. In reviewing these, I'll probably talk about introductory paragraphs and how to make them stronger.
  • Short stories - I've written a bunch of short stories and I've reviewed a bunch of short stories. I'll pretty much comment on everything from atmosphere to character development to grammar.

Genre:
  • Realistic fiction - I'm pretty adept at research and checking little details for accuracy. I also tend to read a bunch of contemporary realistic YA stuff. Speaking of YA.
  • Young adult/teen fiction - That's pretty much my jam.
  • Fantasy/Urban fantasy - This is my bread and butter.
  • Supernatural fiction - Love, love, love.
  • Dystopian fiction - I've become proficient out of necessity. I hold a small amount of love for the genre, but I mostly like picking it apart.
  • Fanfiction - I have spent... too much of my life on fanfiction. Specifically, I'm am (or was) involved in: Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and TAZ. I've also reviewed One Direction stories, My Little Pony stories, and Joker stories.
  • General[???] - If it's in the general section, then I can probably review it.

Not proficient in:
Type:
* Later novel chapters - I can review these? But I'm not the best. Still! Feel free to send in your later novel chapters.
* Poetry - I'm working at being better at this, but I'm still rusty. I'm completely willing to review these, but my reviews will probably be experimental with me grasping for a style.
* Lyrics - See: Poetry
* Scripts - I don't review scripts often enough to have a good feel for them. If I were to review your script, it would probably a bit of time just so I could research how to do it.
* Essays - I'm just now learning how to write essays myself. While I won't refuse to review these, I will say that I have no confidence in my skills.
* Articles - Again, I'm working on how to become better at reviewing these. I have no confidence in my skills, though.

Genre:
* Romance - I've written one romance story in my life. I avoid reading the genre like the plague. I'm willing to review it, but... I'm not good at it.

Will not review:
* Smut - Sorry, nope. I'm not the person you want reviewing that.

Also, apologies to the people that I ended up never getting to down below. I was a much more timid reviewer back then! However, if you link stuff to me now, then I'll absolutely let you know if I can't review it.

Oh! One more thing: I'm totally open to review exchanges and stuff like that.

Okay, okay, I promise, last thing: Two requests per person at a time, please!

So, that's my statblock! Feel free to drop a request and I'll hopefully get to it within 4 to 14 days of it being posted.
Last edited by Evander on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:10 pm
ThereseCricket says...

Hey, I was wondering if you would review my latest work!

Dawn of the Daughter of God-Chapter Five

Thanks youuuu!
In Truth Unity,
In Doubt Liberty,
In all things Charity.

324 Reviews

Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:38 pm
Evander says...

I will get to that soon, @ThereseCricket. ;)

FINISHED! Next?
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

324 Reviews

Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:42 pm
Evander says...

*bumps thread*

German rat enthusiast.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:04 am
Linkzude16 says...

I have some things for you to review. Try Invitation of a Heart, my spook story, or maybe my poem (Yes, I remember what you said about poems.) The Spasmodic Rodent. In exchange, you request two reviews from me, for I also have a quota.

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:52 am
Dracula says...

Untitled

I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

324 Reviews

Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:12 am
Evander says...

@Linkzude16, @jazzydracula, I have finally finished both of your reviews! :D Sorry for a wait.

Next?

German rat enthusiast.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:21 am
Theodorable says...

If you wouldn't mind, I have a few chapters on a novel that I started awhile back. It's 16+ for mature content, if you would rather not review it, I'd understand. It's my The Cost of Love chapters.

profile/Teddybear22/portfolio
Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cake hole. -Dean, Supernatural

324 Reviews

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:27 am
Evander says...

I am still open for requests!

German rat enthusiast.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:05 pm
EmmVeePi says...

I would love if you would review my short "Norse Creation Narrative" https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/EmmVeePi/Norse-Creation-Narrative-122887 I guess it would be classified fantasy although technically it is myth. It is my first attempt at a lifelong dream of retelling norse mythology.

524 Reviews

Reviews: 524
Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:14 am
felistia says...

Hi, I would for you to review my poem Serpent of the Sands part 1,2 and 3
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/felistia/Serpent-of-the-Sands-part-1-125597
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/felistia/Serpent-of-the-Sands-part-2-125615
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/felistia/Serpent-of-the-Sands-part-3-125675
It's a fantasy\action\adventure story in a poem format. I am experimenting. :D
I would love if you could review it. :D

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:55 pm
Lightsong says...

I'd like to have an in-depth review for my poem, School Kids! :D Thanks!
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

324 Reviews

Thu May 24, 2018 7:22 am
Evander says...

Bump! (Also, apologies to the people who I never got to. Oops.)

This post right here will also serve as a to-do list. If someone's name is on this, then it's to serve as a reminder that I need to write a review for them xD

1. GodfreysBouillon

German rat enthusiast.

275 Reviews

Reviews: 275
Thu May 24, 2018 2:43 pm
elysian says...

The Risen - chapter one

review the chapters I've posted? <3
elysian: (adj.) beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect.

formally lylas.

Random avatar

Reviews: 36
Sun May 27, 2018 8:46 pm
GodfreysBouillon says...

Last edited by GodfreysBouillon on Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.
— Emily Dickinson