Young Writers Society

Pompadour's Review Parlour

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Fri May 30, 2014 1:02 pm
View Likes
Pompadour says...

WELCOME

Pssst! Click on the spoiler for the weird intro!

Spoiler! :
As you enter the parlour, you notice the mist fading away; the colourful welcome sign that you saw above is no more than an illusion--a tatty, cardboard cut-out takes its place, and you shiver as you observe your bleak surroundings. A moth-eaten sofa is slumped against the wall, huddled up against the corner, almost as if it were afraid of something. The floorboards creak, and you notice that several of them have split apart. You're afraid to tread on them for fear that they'll give way. Dust fills the air, heaving and sighing and weighing down on everything.

In the middle of the room is an empty chair.

"Welcome."

You back-track immediately, the moment you hear her voice rasping through the gloom. You place your hand on the wall, searching frantically for the doorknob that was there mere seconds ago--but it's not there now.

And the chair is not empty any more. A single figure sits there, her face chalky-white, her fingernails scraping at the dead wood. You gasp involuntarily, and your heart drums a steady beat against your ribs. The figure leans forward, her gash of a mouth opening slightly; she says,

"Want a cookie?"

The world turns to dust.

To business, then.

What I will review:

:smt004 Novel chapters. I'll read anything, as long as it doesn't have explicit sexual content. When it comes to genre, I'm not picky, although I'm not too keen on teen-fiction. I'll be honest with you in my reviews, and I'll be thorough. However, I will not review a chapter from the middle of your novel unless I have read the previous ones, so please don't ask me to review Chapter Fourteen of Read My Story if I haven't even read Chapter One! I'll read historical fiction, and also make sure to have background knowledge on your time period before I get started.

:smt004 Fan-fictions. ONLY Harry Potter, The Book Thief and The Hunger Games. I will not review fiction about which I am not wholly confident, either in characterization or in plot.

:smt004 Short-stories, scripts and essays. Throw 'em all at me. (I might choose not to comment on the subject-matter if the topic of the essay is controversial. Just a heads-up.)

:smt004 Poetry. I'm no whiz at reviewing poetry, but I shall take a look at symbolism, meaning and flow. Meaning I shall try. ;)

Terms and conditions:

:arrow: Please, please please be patient. It might take me as long as a week to review, because frankly, as much as I'd love to, I don't live on YWS. I'll be reasonable, though, and if a week passes and I haven't reviewed, feel free to poke me.

:arrow: I won't review a work that has received more than three or four decent, in-depth reviews.

:arrow: Three's a nice number, heh. I actually have no more conditions, but do remember to post a link of your work below as well.

And tha's about it.

EDIT: Up and running again as of Nov 2015~
Last edited by Pompadour on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

155 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 155
Fri May 30, 2014 1:57 pm
View Likes
Arcticus says...

If you have the time and if typing in a little review doesn't make your coffee go cold, then here -

I see the patience of Chinars in winter...

(This is an old poem but I haven't got an "in-depth" review yet, so... yup.)
You either worship something higher than yourself or end up worshiping yourself

Naturally Tipsy ©

396 Reviews

Fri May 30, 2014 7:11 pm
View Likes
Pompadour says...

@shoaib , done!

*cracks knuckles* Who's next?

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:02 am
View Likes
Alchemist says...

Hey!

Since you want to review fantasy, I have something for you. My work might be long(ish), but I don't have way too many chapters out. First ones have enough reviews, but I'd like you to at least read them before skipping further on.

But I've got special request. I'm not sure where I want to go with writing. I ask you to be absolutely sincere with your review. If Im really, really bad just say it. I just want to know if I should write for hobby or might give it some bigger chance.
Think you can do it?

Here is a link to my prologue, others are there in the portoflo, as well as a complete plot to my story, which you can freely judge as well! The Siege, Prologue: Insane?

-Alchemist

155 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 155
Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:32 pm
View Likes
Arcticus says...

*enters Parlour*
*takes in aroma*

ah, okay.

Love in the time of Curfew
You either worship something higher than yourself or end up worshiping yourself

Naturally Tipsy ©

396 Reviews

Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:51 pm
Pompadour says...

All done!

Keep 'em coming, folks.

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:08 am
windrattlestheblinds says...

Hi there. I was wondering whether you'd be willing to take a look at the (first part of) the first chapter of Monachopsis?

It is a fanfiction, BUT. I'm looking to have it reviewed basically as independent fiction, because 1. the fandom is reallymegasuper obscure and practically nobody knows it, and 2. it's gone through enough permutations of world-building and character development that it's only tangentially related to the musical it originally sprang from.

I'd be really psyched if you're up for it, but I'll understand completely if you're not. :smt001

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:12 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

Hats!
I know it isn't in your nature to be silly (heh heh) but I thought you might make an exception and read this :-)
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:59 am
Dracula says...

I know you say that you won't review things that already have quite a few reviews, but all I'm really asking is that you answer a question for me. Please? ;) Thanks.
The Story of Monoceros
:?: If this was a picture book, would you buy it for your child? Why or why not? :?:
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

396 Reviews

Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:42 am
Pompadour says...

It's been a while! I'm open to reviews, so give me things to devour~

*bumps*

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:24 am
artybirdy says...

I'd like a review on a poem I just posted!
TRIGGER WARNING: Content about abuse

Father Doesn't Like The Noise

Thanks!

@Pompadour
[center]Previously known as ArtStyx[/center]

396 Reviews

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:53 pm
Pompadour says...

Opening this place again! *bumps*

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:58 am
View Likes
Lightsong says...

Hey! I'd like to have your feedback about A Broken Soul for You and Me because you're such a poetry wiz! :D
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

396 Reviews

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:41 pm
Pompadour says...

Done!

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:15 am
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

Heya Pompei. I would love if you could give me a review for my newly published short story. I'm thinking about maybe turning it into a novella, but it would be much appreciated to hear your feedback:

Test of Freedom
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

If I'm going to burn, it might as well be bright.
— Frank Zhang