z

Young Writers Society

YWS Is Now In The Top 250,000!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:26 pm
Nate says...

Ever since some moderators at wikipedia deleted the YWS entry because they said the site wasn't even in the top 1,000,000 (God forbid they actually visit the site), I've checked up on YWS' rankings about once or twice a week over at Alexa.

The three months average is now about 4.5 million, which is understandable since the site was down for two of those three months. So instead I've been paying more attention to the one week average. For some time, it's been around 1 million.

So I check on it today, and look at the one week average and thought it said 2,380,000 million since I'm just used to seeing "million." So I shrugged, then about five minutes later I started thinking, "Wait a minute..."

I go back, looked at it more carefully, and it was 238,732, not 2,380,000! That's a huge and very welcome jump from 1,100,000 only a week ago! I attribute it mostly to my using Alexa toolbar now, although that still does not quite explain as I still count as only one user. More likely, the previous one week average was using old data.

But whatever the reason, YWS is now in the top 250,000! Perhaps by this time next year, it'll be in the top 100,000, which would really be awesome.

To get there, all that needs to be done is double the amount of users who log in every day (it's about 100 now, so 200 would be needed). That's a very rough figure though... I figured it out by looking for a site around 100,000 and the closest I could find was PoliPundit (a poorly written, angry conservative group blog). PoliPundit's reach per million users (using the three month average) is 17. For YWS, that number is around 8.5 (although only using the 'today' number). So if that could be doubled, YWS would at least be very close to cracking the top 100,000, which, again, would be awesome.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:14 pm
Gazza_14 says...

Yeah, baby!
This place should get way more recognition. School starts in a few days, see if I'll recruit some new members. And I can't belive the people at Wiki deleted your entry. Curse the, curse them all!
Stop. Look. Jive!

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:14 pm
David Guinness says...

Congrats all on our ranking!

Does this mean we get the Wiki entry back?
David Guinness

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:47 am
Swires says...

Wikipedia are arrogant jerks, Ive had many websites removed from there.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

The most important thing is to preserve the world we live in. Unless people understand and learn about our world, habitats, and animals, they won't understand that if we don't protect those habitats, we'll eventually destroy ourselves.
— Jack Hanna