z

Young Writers Society

Heads up: Chat may be unavailable on Nov. 28 & 29

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:44 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

I recently cancelled YWS' current subscription to 123FlashChat, which hosts and manages the YWS chatroom. It's been cancelled for two reasons: (1) a new version of 123FlashChat is available that has better support for tablets & smartphones, and (2) they recently lowered the hosting cost, but the only way to get the lower price was to cancel and then re-subscribe.

So, just a temporary interruption for the chatroom that shouldn't last very long. Once the current subscription runs its course (it ends on Nov. 27), I'll re-subscribe YWS.

425 Reviews

Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:58 pm
Nate says...

Ended up emailing back and forth with one of the sales people, and finally got him to relent on lowering the price for renewing the chat. So this means I ended up not having to cancel the subscription, which is good because I was not looking forward to the tedious task of inputting the usernames of all the chat mods one by one (each time a new one is added, the page slowly refreshes, turning what should be a simple task into an hour long ordeal)!

However, this also means we're still stuck on the old version of the chat, and although I've sent an upgrade request, I don't know how long it'll be until they respond.

425 Reviews

Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:46 am
Nate says...

Chat is now fully updated, and the html only version of chat is great.

Unfortunately, 123flashchat has set it up such that whenever you try to access the chatroom on a mobile device, you are still automatically redirected to a mobile version of chat that has significantly fewer features -- completely negating the reason to have an html only version to begin with. After all, what's the point of having an html only chat when the people that it's intended for are actually redirected away from it?

Ah well. At least it's a little cheaper every month now.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:20 am
Dragon99 says...

ah, ok. My apologizes for disliking the new chat, I did realize how much work you put into this. Thanks for all your hard work nate, please accept my apology:(
The Pen Is Mightier Then Dragon Fire

You got rid of them. Yes, that's just like you. Getting rid of everything unpleasant instead of learning to put up with it.
— Aldous Huxley, Brave New World